Help With Remington 700 Accuracy

And B & C Stock Specs are from 45-65 Inch Pounds. And my suggestion is 60 Inch Pounds. IMO 65 Inch Lbs. might be a little extreme and on the high side since it could have the potential of damaging the stock material!

And B & C Stock Specs are from 45-65 Inch Pounds. And my suggestion is 60 Inch Pounds. IMO 65 Inch Lbs. might be a little extreme and on the high side since it could have the potential of damaging the stock material!

You are starting to think logically. That big a change is typically not a coincidence. Shot great. Scope and stock removed and reinstalled, shoots like crap. What changed?
Like others said, magazine box or other issue with the stock.
Most likely scope base or rings. Something is moving/shifting.
I would try dry firing the gun off a stable rest or bags. Concentrate on the crosshairs and look for them to jump as the firing pin hits. It will usually move just a little but sometimes you can really see a problem. And it is something you can do now and cost nothing.
This is a basic trouble shooting issue. Common sense. What changed?
Man I miss Remmy700...

30+ years ago, I spent a year working in an automotive machine shop. My personal opinion: buy a click type torque wrench. If you work on things you'll be using it the rest of your life. Just my two cents.
My MAC is click type as is the HB wrench or Wheeler. But the dial or needle one will go in my toolbox next. I want it for axles. Plus it'll work just fine for rifles :)

Lots of good diagnostics here. I have been using Rems for 40 years and when accuracy goes south I check scope screws and barrel contact. They are the usual problems. I use locktite or epoxy on bases and sometimes the weak locktite on scope screws, if a problem is recurring. All my barrels float but sometime not quite enough for a warm barrel so I make sure at least a business card will fit all the way to the action. The front action screw contacting the barrel threads, as has been previously mentioned, is an accuracy killer for sure and a binding mag well does the same thing. Also, the large Rem trigger can sometime bind against the stock, as well, if the screws are continuously overtightened. Sometimes I use a flat washer for the action screws, between the floor plate and the stock to sort this out and other times it needs re-bedding. These problems happen more in wooden stocks, especially older one that have been "oiled" and stood up in a gun cabinet. They get a little punky around the tang. Lots of good posts on this one and I think you will probably solve your accuracy woes without too much costs involved.

I agree that 20 rounds isn't enough but I'm just extremely concerned as it is no longer holding groups. I'm young and new to long range shooting and have no idea how to fix it. I know it could be a couple things but I am wondering where to start. Here's the whole thing how it went down. I had the gun and loved the way it was shooting. I simply wanted the trigger tuned up and lightened and I knew a guy that does really nice work on triggers. He did an amazing job on the trigger but he decided to check the whole setup somewhat against my will. I bit my tongue as he is my girlfriends father and claimed he knew everything about 700s. Unfortunately I do not have a reputable gun smith within a couple hours of me or I would've taken it to them. Now I'm stuck with a gun that isn't shooting the way it was and I don't know what to do to fix it. Should I break down and buy a torque wrench. Again I'm a college student but I'll pay it if I have to and it will likely fix my problem.
Thanks again guys
Look up the manufaturers specs for torque...very important roll and can easily account for the groupings you are getting. Front screw and back are not torqued the same

I would clean the barrel. Certainly check to make sure everything is tightened down good. It is important to use a torque wrench so you don't over tighten, but if you use the allen key, tighten as much as you can holding the short side of the key ( as opposed to the long side that gives you more leverage), this keeps you from over tightening. Try to "twist" the scope side ways to see if you have any movement. Do the same with the stock to barreled action. Any "play" will throw you off. Make sure the barrel isn't pressed against part of the stock. But, absolutely clean the rifle. People get carried away with barrel break in, I don't think you need to "shoot-clean, shoot-clean, every few rounds. But starting with a clean barrel is important.
Just my 2 cents

Good afternoon all,
So I've recently been developing a long range setup from a stock Remington 700 LR chambered in a 300 win mag. I bought the gun last December and recently put a Vortex Viper HST scope with a 20 moa rail and Leupold Pro Rings. The gun was stock from the factory and we threw the scope, rail and rings on the gun and started shooting federal premium factory loads. It shot extremely well holding a 1/2" moa at 100 yards. Well I took the gun to a gun smith to have the trigger lightened to slightly above 2.5 lbs (hunting rifle), ensure the scope was leveled and the rings were aligned and overall just to see the setup. In the process the barrel was taken off the scope and the rings were changed from highs to mediums as there was a significant amount of space between the scope and barrel. Well the gun was put back together with the action screws being hand tightened by the gun smith and I do not have a torque wrench to check the lbs. I recently reshot the gun and it will not hold a group for factory loads or hand loads. It literally only has 20 shots through it. We tried Berger 190 hand loads and federal premiums and cannot get it to hold a group under 3" now. What should I do?
You can buy a torque wrench on Amazon for 17 to $25 that is listed in inch/pounds and should satisfy your needs with a rifle. That's less than a box of ammunition. Learn to use it and use it on all the screws in your gun.

I would go back to the girlfriends father and say hey man my gun isn't shooting like it did, do you have a torque wrench so we can check the specs.on the screws? Be some what assertive, it may be a moment to bond with him. If he doesnt help then get a torque wrench and do it on your own.

If the rings were replaced are they the right ones and aligned right did they get turned around so they are binding the scope . Watch some youtube to see about putting your action in the stock correctly call Remington and get torque specs on the action screws go to an auto parts store and have them rent or loan you a torque wrench that is inch pounds . check the mag box to make sure it is fitted right and that the bottom metal is fitted right . You are doing the right thing now by trying to learn to do this kind of thing yourself and at the right place .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.