Remington 700 5r Accuracy

I am not sure what a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic in 7RM has for rifling. Wife's dad bought her one for her birthday in October. We picked up some cheap Hornady Factory ammo to break it in. Cleaning after every 5 rounds for two boxes. Then we got some Superformance loads with 139gr. SST's. It cloverleafs at 100.
That was with the wife shooting off a Caldwell Solo.
She doesn't care for the 26" tube though.
Standard 6-groove rifling like pretty much every 700 other than a 5R milspec model. There are a few other models using 5R barrels now, but your basic 700's are still using 6-groove rifling.

If broken-in right, and taken care of, most 700's will shoot to acceptable accuracy. Occasionally there are true lemons that slip through the cracks, but I think a lot of folks blame the guns trying to save face, when it's really the shooters.

Standard 6-groove rifling like pretty much every 700 other than a 5R milspec model. There are a few other models using 5R barrels now, but your basic 700's are still using 6-groove rifling.

If broken-in right, and taken care of, most 700's will shoot to acceptable accuracy. Occasionally there are true lemons that slip through the cracks, but I think a lot of folks blame the guns trying to save face, when it's really the shooters.
I was only allowed to get it close the bullseye in the first string. She did all the rest of the shooting. And with a cheaper Vortex scope.
She is excited to get to learn how to reload, and the 7RM is her Ginny Pig.

I was only allowed to get it close the bullseye in the first string. She did all the rest of the shooting. And with a cheaper Vortex scope.
She is excited to get to learn how to reload, and the 7RM is her Ginny Pig.
7RM is a great cartridge. One of my all-time favorites, and one I've been deer hunting with for 17 years. Also, Vortex builds a good scope, even their lesser-expensive optics are pretty decent for the money.

I did torque all my screws as soon as it got out of the box, one of the types of ammo was a few different variations of handloads to try and see what it likes after the factory ammo was used to sight in, I was using a rifle basix trigger off a lead sled. I don't know what else I could have done to see how the rifle shoots out of the box. I know rifles settle in sometimes, still unacceptable. Especially when I can get a cheap T/C or something with a 1 MOA guarantee.

I already built a custom 6.5 creedmoor last year off a blueprinted action and a Douglas barrel, I haven't even loaded for it yet because it shoots through the same hole with Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition. I also have more invested in that rifle.

I wanted a .300 win mag for longer range, and I understand standard 700's aren't all that special. But this was billed as a higher quality build out of the box; stock, barrel, etc... and that is what has me peeved.

I do own a gun shop and do custom Cerakote work, this experience right here has it so I will advise against buying a Remington product, or anything from Freedom Group to anybody who walks through my door.

Oh and this was the second issue, before I went the range I was torquing the screws I loosened them and retightened. I sheared one of the stock screws off 4 threads in with only 3 fingers on the screwdriver and they had to send me another. So it was almost a month after getting the rifle I found out it shot worth crap.

Bummer, hopefully, you get it ironed out soon or perhaps a die hard fan with more time than you to develop a load it likes offers you a fair and agreeable price, if you choose to sell it. Good luck!

So this was a brand new in the box 700 5r gen2 in .300 win mag. Put a Leupold Mk5 on top and headed to the range, couldnt get better than a 2.5" group with 4 different types of ammo. Got ahold of Remington and they said send it in.
Rifle comes back with a note saying they lapped the barrel, headspace, blah blah. Also sent a test target with a 1.4" group and said it was good. This is a $950 rifle, what's the point of spending the money when $350 rifles come with a 1" guarantee?
I just feel like I get nowhere with Remington and needed to vent, as well as never recommend paying for one of these rifles.

2yzbztc.jpg

I was just looking at Remingtons target again - I wonder why remington chose the 220 gr Barnes OTM to test the accuracy. I have tried barnes a couple times and never been blown away with their accuracy. I would have to think if the gun will shoot 1.4" with their Barnes ammo, some handloading effort could cut those in half.

I'm going to try the load suggested earlier and a few others but I probably won't get the chance to go out for a few weeks. My scope is a brand new Leupold Mk5 so there shouldn't be any issues there. I have a Magpul Hunter stock for it, and I really like them but I'm wondering if I should leave it in the HS precision to test.

I'm going to try the load suggested earlier and a few others but I probably won't get the chance to go out for a few weeks. My scope is a brand new Leupold Mk5 so there shouldn't be any issues there. I have a Magpul Hunter stock for it, and I really like them but I'm wondering if I should leave it in the HS precision to test.

I would, troubleshoot one problem at a time, unless the HS stock is the culprit.

Bought mine off a friend who said he couldnt ever get it to shoot good. I started reloading for it and have it shooting half moa. With box ammo it was a 2 moa rifle. I love it now.

Finally got a chance to shoot my rifle this week. I ended up bedding the stock and installed a Timmney trigger. I have to say, I am pretty impressed with the accuracy with factory ammo. I started out with 15 rounds of cheap ammo to kind of break in the barrel. Then I shot Federal 130 Hybrids. They were about an 1.5 group. I started to worry a little until I shot the 140 ELD Match and 143 ELDX. I got .5 inch 5 shot groups @100 with that ammo. With a little more practice these groups should tighten up a little more. I only have 60 rounds down the tube so far.
20190127_124736.jpg
20190127_133955.jpg
20190127_123327.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.