Help With Remington 700 Accuracy

GLOVER

To share with you, the Stock Screws should be Torqued to 60 *Inch Lbs. In the following sequence. The Front Screw should be Torqued First. (In front of the Trigger Guard.) Then the Rear Screw Torqued to 60 *Inch Lbs.
Obviously the guy claiming to be a gunsmith does not know everything about the Remington 700. I would not think of working on one with out the proper torque wrench. This alone can disrupt the accuracy of the rifle. (But if your stock is Glass Bedded one should not torque it over 37 Inch Lbs. To do so will possibly damage the bedding causing accuracy issues.)
I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench (Torque Wrench) for all Scope Bases, Scope Cap Screws or Optics Cross Bolts that require a torque setting. I highly recommend it!
Keeps proper recommended Inch Pound torque settings for other applications as well.

I considered bedding the action or just the recoil lug however when I shot it first it was shooting pretty good. Would there be a definite increase in accuracy or would it possibly make it worse by bedding the lug or whole action?

GLOVER
If it was shooting the 1/2 MOA Groups to start with that is about as good as it gets for a standard production rifle. In fact that is GREAT! Also I would suggest getting the proper torque and sequence on the Screws first if you have not already? Improper Torque or out of Sequence on the Screws can make all the difference in the world. Obviously no Torque Wrench was used by the guy! And YES the Barrel Lug should be forward in the Stock Grove as well. Hopefully that dimension on the stock is fairly tight on the Lug in the first place? So if you have not done as I suggested, I would recommend going to a good gun shop that does work on weapons and have them Torque the Stock Screw as suggested.

Drop the floor plate,stick your finger up inside the mag box and try and wiggle the mag box up and down. If it is not easily moved up and down, then the magazine is in a bind pushing up on the center of the action, and this is a deal killer on accuracy...I promise! You need to fix this issue.

You need to clean your rifle for sure, good powder solvent, copper solvent, and great bronze bristle brushes. 300 WM is shooting 70g+ powder.

If the gunsmith changed out the bases, and if the very front screw is touching the barrel threads, your accuracy will be RUINED. I always tighten down screws, then take the front screw out and look at the bottom of the screw. If the screw is long and touching the threads on the barrel, then you will see marks on the bottom of the screw. Just a touch up of the screw on a bench grinder is all that is needed when they are too long.

When tightening up the screws, start with the screws started. then stand the rifle up on a bench or table top. Grab hold of the barrel and pull down, this will seat the recoil lug in the stock, now tighten the stock screws.

Inch/pound torque wrenches on ebay area great investment.

When shooting at the rifle range, your barrel will get very hot. Cool the barrel with a mix of 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water. Use a wash rag, and put enough solution on the rag to have the liquid dripping off the bottom of the barrel. Barrel will cool in short order as you rub the outside of the barrel. Oil Chrome moly barrels at the range when you are done or when you get home. Hot barrels may change point of impact or throw shots, and shoot three shot groups only.

Last edited:
Glover
In addition!
Glass Bedding? Is a fairly tedious process to get it done correctly. Sometimes it does not improve accuracy that much if at all. Especially when you Rifle was shooting 1/2 MOA Groups before he worked on it.

I just ordered the wrench and it is supposed to be in Monday. I won't be home and have an opportunity to shoot until Friday. I plan on reinstalling the the stock ensuring the recoil lug is back. U fortunately it is a pretty loose fit with the factory stock. Then using the torque wrench I plan to torque it to spec

When I took a look at the stock there was a pretty big gap in the recoil lug. That's the only time I considered bedding. like I said, before the stock was off it was shooting a clover leaf at 100 yds with federal gold 210 grain. Didn't shoot the same after

And B & C Stock Specs are from 45-65 Inch Pounds. And my suggestion is 60 Inch Pounds. IMO 65 Inch Lbs. might be a little extreme and on the high side since it could have the potential of damaging the stock material!

And B & C Stock Specs are from 45-65 Inch Pounds. And my suggestion is 60 Inch Pounds. IMO 65 Inch Lbs. might be a little extreme and on the high side since it could have the potential of damaging the stock material!

I'm also going to do a thorough cleaning on the barrel as others have started. I'm just a little skeptical as I don't know how big of a coincidence that would be. Shooting great... barreled action off... shooting awful... because of dirty bore

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.