Q: Heavier Profile & Flute, or go Lighter profile for same weight...???

My thoughts are this, the #5.5 spiral fluted is the way to go for stiffness and weight, your boy will grow quick, so it will fit him better shortly.
I built all of my own rifles on the heavy side, Sendero or heavier contour and zero fluting. The only rifles I have kept lean are my Kimber's, which I love carrying and shooting.

Cheers.

The suppressor would possibly change my first impulse answer, which was…..go with the lightest contour reasonable. Unless of course, it ruins the rifle balance.

You will very likely carry a hunting rifle far more than you will be shooting it. And, if you've fired enough rounds to heat the barrel…..after about the 3rd shot, you're into the "Hail Mary" shots!

Plus, on a carry hunting rifle, personally I'd "can" the can idea. And, a 7-08 doesn't recoil badly at all…..especially with today's quality recoil pads! memtb
Principal reason for the Can would be to protect hearing. You are correct, 7-08 is a joke for recoil

What stock and what does it weigh will you be going with?

What's your total weight goal for the outfit?

Initial thoughts on what I know so far you're going with way too heavy of a counter, especially if a can is in the future!

Also what twist are you going with?
Stock is a grade 4'ish Walnut (currently in about 96-97% action fitting - waiting on barrel channel) with a dark marble-cake grain and feather-crotch that we have been working on - end result will be pillar bedded with full action support with Devcon. Twist will be 1:8

Theres two reasons to flute. You already have the barrel and want it lighter or you like the look. It does nothing for accuracy. I am less concerned with real heavy barrels but Id be careful fluting real light sporters and especially button rifled ones. I am happy to do what the customer wants. But my personal rifles dont not get fluted barrels.
Yep, we're not concerned with looks...only the potential benefit of the stiffness at reduced weight. Correct - fluting can only detract from accuracy due to stress added to the steel unless it gets relieved...and that's questionable. So it's a gamble - some fluting works out without any impact to accuracy...and other times it all goes to hades...

Wood stock will be heavy.......probably 38 or more ounces...

For a barrel I'd go with one that was unfluted, would mic at no more than .65" at the muzzle and I'd go with 21-23" on the barrel length.

How much does the young man get to shoot in any given year?

Principal reason for the Can would be to protect hearing. You are correct, 7-08 is a joke for recoil
Even a 308win doesn't have that much recoil even with an 8# loaded rifle or less in weight (to me anyways). At 14 I stood 4'11" @ ~120# and been shooting a pre64 mod70 264wm 26" sporter by the age of 12 (4'4" 98#). Maybe my tough level was higher than others for being a farm and ranch kid. A friend of mine (cousin's husband) didn't like the recoil of the 308win as so he's been shooting 7-08 for decades. I haven't shot my 7-08 yet as too find any comparisons between the 2. Will he be shooting factory or handloads? Handloads can help on tailoring recoil. Do you have a max yardage you think it will be used to?

Wood stock will be heavy.......probably 38 or more ounces...

For a barrel I'd go with one that was unfluted, would mic at no more than .65" at the muzzle and I'd go with 21-23" on the barrel length.

How much does the young man get to shoot in any given year?
As many weekends as he wants to go ;-) Overall in the summer I'd say twice a month on the long range...weather has NOT been cooperative lately. We do have access to our local indoor range for 25-100 yards but family illness has inhibited that from happening. Right now we're going to be working on developing his control-muscles (core and upper body), posture, breathing control, and trigger skills ala dry-fire on another Rem SA setup to get the basics down. Range time is mostly to focus on the benchrest basics with a Sendaro'd .223 and keeping things engaging with some modern sporting rifles and a pistol or two until we're complete on the build...then we can bring it all together for more shooting positions and variable distances and wind conditions. By August, I plan on having him half n half between 200 and 500 ranges to get a feel for his capabilities and set limitations for maximum humane-harvest distances. I'm pretty impressed with his skills so far...looking forward to watching his development. I do want this rifle to grow with him though, so I don't want to limit the setup to where he is now...can't afford multiple barrels over the years if you know what I mean...

Even a 308win doesn't have that much recoil even with an 8# loaded rifle or less in weight (to me anyways). At 14 I stood 4'11" @ ~120# and been shooting a pre64 mod70 264wm 26" sporter by the age of 12 (4'4" 98#). Maybe my tough level was higher than others for being a farm and ranch kid. A friend of mine (cousin's husband) didn't like the recoil of the 308win as so he's been shooting 7-08 for decades. I haven't shot my 7-08 yet as too find any comparisons between the 2. Will he be shooting factory or handloads? Handloads can help on tailoring recoil. Do you have a max yardage you think it will be used to?
Handloads - likely Bergers in the 140 - 175 range at around 4000 to 6000 foot elevations around 15 to 45 degrees F. Max yardage will be limited by dad based on his range performance and then minus "XX-XXX" yards based on conditions in the field

I have a 7mm-08 with a #5 contour Benchmark barrel, B&C stock, and Sightron scope. The barrel has been spiral fluted (6 flutes), cut back to 20" from 24" and threaded 5/8x24. It still weighs over 9 lbs and with suppressor a little over 10 lbs.
I would go with the #3 or #2 contour in your picture with 22" barrel, if you want a can then I would go 20".

I have started buying 1.250/3" breech light palma profiles for my barrels. This allows me to thread the muzzle and it is about 4.2 pounds at 24 inches. That said, I recommend you check out preferred barrel blanks they have a taperless profile. I got one in .750 and .810 fluted. Both weight ~the same, but like the balance of the .810

I have 2 of McGowen's #2 contour SS barrels in 280AI - mine are 25.5" long and balance my rifles out very nicely. I believe a fluted or unfluted #2 would suit your purpose well. You might consider a 20" barrel and save another ounce or two. I have no issues with barrel whip or impact shift after multiple shots, though I tend to test and evaluate with 3 shot groups in order to emulate my typical hunting scenario. Very happy with these McGowen barrels.

Recent Posts