Light Weight Rifle?

You just missed out on a threaded Barrett Fieldcraft 18" threaded on Rokslide, looked to be 5.1lbs bare

Gotta be quick to get a fieldcraft under 2500 these days. I sure hope someone resurrects the idea some day.

I tried to warm to the howa, even went to the shop with cash in my pocket and high hopes. I was looking at the mini carbons, as almost nothing out there exists in that space. Stock coating was as inspiring as early 2000s browning duratouch, 2 of the 3 barrel channels were off enough it was gonna take some effort and bedding to alleviate symmetry ocd. The exterior finish and bolt slop made me take back every hurtful thing I've ever said about cerebus remington or Vista savage.

I've no doubt they will likely shoot, almost everything shoots good when compared to rifles even 20 years ago. Just couldn't overcome the nuances and my wallet was marked safe from the ultralight howa.

If kimber can figure out a stock supplier so they can make something other than a Hunter, they will rule this market segment. While they have sent some rifles out with quirks, seems like they were usually tweakable.

I don't think a Tikka would be too heavy for your needs, or break your budget. Mine was a basic T3X Laminated Stainless with a 22.4" barrel. I swapped out the factory stock for a McMillan Hunter's Edge and put in Mountain Tactical bottom metal. Scope is a Vortex Viper 4-16x44. After selling the laminate stock and catching a couple discounts on the McMillan and Vortex, I was in for around $1800 with a total weight of 7 lbs, 6 oz.
BA3B54BC-5D0F-46CC-9A1B-8B1FB169354B.jpeg

Attachments

• 0029F9CD-E982-458B-97ED-43070CB4BF20.jpeg
    0029F9CD-E982-458B-97ED-43070CB4BF20.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18