Builds getting heavier and heavier

I am old and shoot light, medium, and heavy rifles in both recoil and weight ... If ya call 30 lbs heavy...autos, levers, single shots, and bolts. Really old 45-90, 45 colt a 6 Dasher or 300 RUM to the latest bi- metal cased 80,000 psi stuff. Depending on my mood or what I want to accomplish that day. Each has a place, and so much fun. Probably do everything needed with a 308 Win and a 22LR but I like variety.

I will be interested to hear reports of the actual experiences of carrying and hunting with the heavier rifles this time next year. There is no debate in the weight difference between all steel vs CF barrels of similar contours. CF is significantly lighter. I believe @Elk Hunter 338 nailed it in his response. Finding the perfect balance of weight and stability can be different for each hunter. Most would opt for carrying less weight as long as they are able to stabilize the rifle easily during the critical moment.

I will be interested to hear reports of the actual experiences of carrying and hunting with the heavier rifles this time next year. There is no debate in the weight difference between all steel vs CF barrels of similar contours. CF is significantly lighter. I believe @Elk Hunter 338 nailed it in his response. Finding the perfect balance of weight and stability can be different for each hunter. Most would opt for carrying less weight as long as they are able to stabilize the rifle easily during the critical moment.
Absolutely! I may be getting too caught up in just wanting the rifle to be as accurate as possible, but still be able to carry it haha. I also want to see impacts more easily. Basically just is a major test run for me. I know I'll be able to carry it around. It's whether or not I'll like it, or think it's worth doing at that weight once the season is over haha

I prefer to have a selection of 9,10, and 11 pound rifles handy so I have options. :) That's the beauty of it all. Your 11lb rifle doesn't care if you have a sleek and slim looking 9lb rifle. :cool:
Hahaha I like it!!!

I actually had that at one point too. But I didn't like having "choices" on what to take hunting. I always just chose the biggest most long range capable gun lol. Thinking about doing a 33XC next year. And that might break the mold a little. Might want a different smaller cartridge gun in the safe also haha

Hahaha I like it!!!

I actually had that at one point too. But I didn't like having "choices" on what to take hunting. I always just chose the biggest most long range capable gun lol. Thinking about doing a 33XC next year. And that might break the mold a little. Might want a different smaller cartridge gun in the safe also haha
You could use a Terminus Zeus Quick Change action in L/A Magnum and just purchase barrels to use for particular hunts. The older I get, I am thinking this route for myself, instead of having a bunch of safe queens that become expensive. The one stock of your choice with the one premium trigger and one premium scope to use consistently makes more sense for me.

My go gun the last few years has been my 300 win mag. It's a very similar setup to your newly completed NMI. 12 lbs with bipod, suppressor and ATACR scope with a 3 round accurate mag.

For West Texas and South Texas hunting - which is where I primarily hunt, it's very stable and forgiving. For those extended shots, I like having a 215gr Berger for some extra insurance in case the shot isn't perfect.

I went with a Bartlein 3B steel barrel with straight fluting - probably my favorite for a compromise of weight and portability.

I just finished a 300 Norma improved build and went a little heavier - rem varmint steel barrel at 28", A3 adj stock. It's 15.5 lbs all in ready to go. Will not be packing that one around hiking but it's an awesome option for some areas that we hunt where you can stretch it out to 1,000+ yards.

Both rifles will consistently shoot 1/4 moa, and I can't help but think the weight and steel barrel help both consistently perform at that level.

I have other carbon fiber barreled rifles that are easier to carry, but you can definitely tell the difference in stability when you line up the crosshairs on an animal.

For coyotes or something similar, somewhat useful. It does have it's place, just for me, not on a rifle I'm going to carry for miles.
Hop out of the boat/airplane/atv and sit there for days? Ya, I'll take the 30 inch 25lb shoulder fired field artillery piece.

I literally just bought a carbon barrel, so I'm not against them. They just have little to no place in hike in backcountry hunting imo. Where weight really matters.
When I get it I can weigh the one it's replacing. I already know the steel one is lighter because of what both manufacturers quote.
I have a stock pile of steel and carbon barrels sitting on the shelf. I've played with the weight vs barrel strength and we'll just agree to disagree. I have zero desire to run a pencil barrel for any reason since I prefer using a suppressor. Additionally I have found carbon barrels extremely easy to tune. I have another rifle I built for a saddle gun that is under 7 lbs without the can and it was a sub 1000 build. I think light pencil barrel rifles have their place for some applications, but a long range rifle, its iffy. I do agree if hunting sheep country is your gig a sub 6 lb rifle with a 3x9 scope etc is likely just what is needed. Hiking Idaho's backcountry, I am fine packing my rifle all over the place and I am old. A 8lb ish rifle is very comfortable for me.

How heavy did you go? I'm super curious how I'm going to feel about it also. All of my gear is basically as light as you can get it, except for spotting scope, and now rifle. I packed out a whole Idaho buck and winter time camp for 14 miles once. We did it in 1.5 days. My pack ended up being 130lbs when I got back to the truck. And I think an extra 3lbs in the gun would have **** near killed me haha.

We each had a whole buck actually. This was my buddies first back-country hunt and we've since became great friends and have been double successful in ID 3 years in a row.
View attachment 468101

One more river crossing after this one before the truck!
View attachment 468111
Typical Idaho country. Nice work