Heavier bullets for smaller callibers

Akredneck

I am having a hard time understanding why people are shooting heavier bullets in say 270 180gr woodleigh bullet vs stepping up to say a 7mm 175? Or 300win 250gr bullet vs going 338win 275gr? Heavies are going to have more drag on the barrel also increase pressure, with modern bullets the BC can be found if you look for right bullet. Also felt recoil would be an issue shoving big pill down the barrel at least for hunting rifles. My bench gun would probably not budge at 17#. Just trying to understand this trend I am seeing. Thanks for any input.

Generally the trend toward heavier bullets per caliber is because of the trend towards longer distances. The heavies have higher BCs and drift less in wind.
I personally am a big fan of the heavies in everything from 6MM CM to 300 Win Mag.
The larger modern cartridges such as the 26-33 Noslers and the PRCs are designed to shoot heavies with fast twist barrels.

I am having a hard time understanding why people are shooting heavier bullets in say 270 180gr woodleigh bullet vs stepping up to say a 7mm 175? Or 300win 250gr bullet vs going 338win 275gr? Heavies are going to have more drag on the barrel also increase pressure, with modern bullets the BC can be found if you look for right bullet. Also felt recoil would be an issue shoving big pill down the barrel at least for hunting rifles. My bench gun would probably not budge at 17#. Just trying to understand this trend I am seeing. Thanks for any input.
Using heavy bullets for chambering makes more sense to me than the other way around. I shoot 175 Matrix on my .270 AI, 190 Berger on my .30 Gibbs, 215 Berger on my .300 WSMs, etc. Felt recoil is now mitigated with suppressors/ muzzle brakes.

Heavies often have higher bc, thus less wind drift and often retain more energy down range -- usually show better ballistic numbers than light for caliber bullets past 600yards. Watch your twist rate though, heavies often will need faster twist rates-- also they can often be pushed faster than you'd think with modern powders and long box mag for increased load length.

Different strokes for different folks.

I used to be a fast and light guy.

Now, I am a moderate and heavy guy.
Depending on bullet choice, you have more weight to shed inside the animal. So if a bullet retains 50% of it's weight, 65gr is shed from a 130, and 78gr is shed from a 156.

Running the numbers between a 6.5mm 130 @ 3150 or 156 at 3000, out to 500ish, it doesn't make much difference. Get out there past 800, and the energy levels on target start to swing in favor of a heavier bullet. Retained velocity of the heavier higher BC bullet extends killing ranges as well.
A 130 would retain 1800fps and 1000ft/lbs to 1100 yards.
Where the 156 extends those minimum numbers out to 1250, but still maintains 1100+ ft/lbs.

That being said, a person needs to decide what their maximum hunting distance is, and then make the decision if a heavy gives them any benefit.

Last edited:

I think a lot of it has to do with quality slower burning powers becoming available. Heavy bullets will increase pressure faster than a lighter bullet, yes, but a slower powder compensates for that with heavier bullets, slowing down how fast the pressure builds.

Friction in the bore is a separate issue, and has more to do with 'bearing surface'. The .270 cal 170gr berger actually has a very short bearing surface, compared to a woodleigh 180gr for instance.

'Form factor' is an interesting concept, and may help in understanding the Weight/Diameter/BC trifecta;

While I shoot heavies in several calibers there is tradeoff that hasn't been mentioned. Minimum expansion for a hunting bullet. I can see where a LR shot using a heavier bullet will yield more energy, higher BC, less wind drift but it might be going too slow for proper expansion. Just a thought.....

While I shoot heavies in several calibers there is tradeoff that hasn't been mentioned. Minimum expansion for a hunting bullet. I can see where a LR shot using a heavier bullet will yield more energy, higher BC, less wind drift but it might be going too slow for proper expansion. Just a thought.....
A heavy bullet also retains its velocity better at long range than a light bullet. There are minimum velocity specs for most bullets to expand properly, most are 1800 fps, some as low as 1300 fps.

High BC sells bullets.
BC isn't even a factor until 800 yards or so.
I see guys running 156s at 2600 fps 6.5mm and I'll smoke them to 1200 yards using a 130 hybrid @3000 fps, If we go to 1500 they start pulling away. They think because they have a high bc they'll have the advantage, they do when we are approaching transonic.
Balance is key, good energy with flat trajectory.

Last edited:
High BC sells bullets.
BC isn't even a factor until 800 yards or so.
I see guys running 156s at 2600 fps 6.5mm and I'll smoke them to 1200 yards using a 130 hybrid.

Smoke them how? With drop, wind drift, retained energy or retained velocity? What starting velocity using the 130?

I've run small/fast until last year when I ran the 156 at 2950. Compared to the 124 HH at 3150, the 156 at 2600 has less wind drift (.1 mil) at 500 and the same retained energy but less velocity. It's 800 or 900 yards before they begin to even out but wind drift is still less on the 156.

I only know the above because I may go back to the 124 since all of my shots at antelope and elk have been less than 400. Honestly, though, wind drift is of more importance to me than anything else. It's the one variable that is difficult to account for.

Smoke them how? With drop, wind drift, retained energy or retained velocity? What starting velocity using the 130?

I've run small/fast until last year when I ran the 156 at 2950. Compared to the 124 HH at 3150, the 156 at 2600 has less wind drift (.1 mil) at 500 and the same retained energy but less velocity. It's 800 or 900 yards before they begin to even out but wind drift is still less on the 156.

I only know the above because I may go back to the 124 since all of my shots at antelope and elk have been less than 400. Honestly, though, wind drift is of more importance to me than anything else. It's the one variable that is difficult to account for.
When we're out on the steel at unknown distances, they're trying lob a heavy in there and my 130 is a laser beam. The very little difference in drift can't be determined in the noise of shooting. Most can't shoot the .1mil difference in wind. The flatter trajectory out weighs any benefit of a slow heavy within the super sonic capabilities of the cartridge.
3000 fps with the 130.

As some already mentioned. You get more weight retained in the bullet for deeper penetration, and for me most important is, the heavier bullets hit with higher energy.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the higher BC is another reason.

When we're out on the steel at unknown distances, ... The flatter trajectory out weighs any benefit of a slow heavy within the super sonic capabilities of the cartridge.

Definitely true with unknown distances. Flatter is more forgiving. Luckily, at matches and hunting, I know the distances. You're right, too, a .1 mil wind difference doesn't mean much since it's impossible to shoot that difference. I nearly ignore my Kestrel now for wind calls preferring to use the last stage/shot as the next hold. If I see a difference with the next shot I'll adjust. That's how I'm selling to myself going to back to lighter/faster.

Definitely true with unknown distances. Flatter is more forgiving. Luckily, at matches and hunting, I know the distances. You're right, too, a .1 mil wind difference doesn't mean much since it's impossible to shoot that difference. I nearly ignore my Kestrel now for wind calls preferring to use the last stage/shot as the next hold. If I see a difference with the next shot I'll adjust. That's how I'm selling to myself going to back to lighter/faster.
If I know the distance especially after 1000 yards, I'll go with the heavy. But if everything is a guess, I'll go with flatter trajectory with a good enough bc to give consistent results.