Heavier 7MM Rem Mag Bullets

dtt0862

Anyone having success shooting bullets over 165 grains in Tikka T3X 7 MM Rem Mag. Barrel has 9.5 twist. Used mainly for hunting out to 500 yard max. Barnes 150 TTSX 150 shoots great, but looking for something with a little more knockdown for elk.

I know you said over 165 but a 160 partition/AB, 162 eld, 162 interlock, 160 SGK, etc should all be enough bullet for an elk at that distance..... at least is was for mine and its what I will be taking with me again this fall. A good dose of H1000 and a 160 Nosler AB will put meat on your table!!

Not in a Tikka but I was shooting 180gr Bergers out of a factory Sendero with a 1-9.3 twist without any issues.

HFd5tDG.png

PSIM1YA.png

Your 9.5 twist rate is marginal for some bullets heavier than 160 gr. You can use Berger's twist rate calculator to see the stability of any heavy bullet that interests you. Bullet length is one of the critical inputs. Nosler lists the length of their bullets as does Berger.

If you go to this link you can input the conditions and bullet to see how stable it will be for your rifle.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

I chose 35 degrees for input as you will be elk hunting. A few examples the 175 Nosler partition @ 2900 fps is stable even at 0 elevation and 35 degrees. While the 175 Berger elite hunter @ 2900 fps with its longer length is not stable until 4200 elevation. The 175 LR accubond at 2900 fps will be stable at 4700 ft elevation. The 180 Berger at 2900 fps is right on the cusp of being stable at 4000 ft.

I am building a 7 mmRM for the sole purpose of shooting 175 grain Partitions. #3 contour Bartlein 24 inch 1:8 twist. Any suggested powders/loads? Thanks

I am building a 7 mmRM for the sole purpose of shooting 175 grain Partitions. #3 contour Bartlein 24 inch 1:8 twist. Any suggested powders/loads? Thanks
Norma or ADG brass, Fed 215s, and H1000, RL26, Retumbo, and IMR 7977 will all work well.

Anyone having success shooting bullets over 165 grains in Tikka T3X 7 MM Rem Mag. Barrel has 9.5 twist. Used mainly for hunting out to 500 yard max. Barnes 150 TTSX 150 shoots great, but looking for something with a little more knockdown for elk.

I've been shooting the 175 Nosler ABLR's for several years now through a 9.5 twist. Initially through the factory Tikka barrel, and then through a Krieger. Had plenty of sub 1/2MOA groups and even hit steel out past 1 mile with them. Actually found that hit in the dirt beneath the target and kept it as a memento. Bullet hit square on the nose and mushroomed out like it would be designed to. No elk but several deer and antelope dropped like they were struck by lightning with them so "field testing" I'd have to say has been excellent. All of my shooting has been between 1400 and 2800 ft. elevation and stability has not been an issue for me. I will note that I'm running them fairly hot (still under book max loads) so getting a bit more stability from that. Berger has an online stability calculator that I'd recommend. Not disputing that 175's are going to be border line out of a 9.5 twist barrel but I can attest to it being possible. I've been tempted to try the 168's but haven't yet because I've got a really nice shooter with my current setup. Would sure be curious to find out how they work for you though. Best of luck.

I've been shooting the 175 Nosler ABLR's for several years now through a 9.5 twist. Initially through the factory Tikka barrel, and then through a Krieger. Had plenty of sub 1/2MOA groups and even hit steel out past 1 mile with them. Actually found that hit in the dirt beneath the target and kept it as a memento. Bullet hit square on the nose and mushroomed out like it would be designed to. No elk but several deer and antelope dropped like they were struck by lightning with them so "field testing" I'd have to say has been excellent. All of my shooting has been between 1400 and 2800 ft. elevation and stability has not been an issue for me. I will note that I'm running them fairly hot (still under book max loads) so getting a bit more stability from that. Berger has an online stability calculator that I'd recommend. Not disputing that 175's are going to be border line out of a 9.5 twist barrel but I can attest to it being possible. I've been tempted to try the 168's but haven't yet because I've got a really nice shooter with my current setup. Would sure be curious to find out how they work for you though. Best of luck.

I am using the 175ABLR in a 26" Criterion 1:8 barrel at 2,815 FPS. 63.5gr of RL23

I shot steel with it out to 1,000 yards, and recently 3 impala, 2 Zebra and baboons with it

Bullets mushroom just like in the ad's.

What velocity are you getting?

I am using the 175ABLR in a 26" Criterion 1:8 barrel at 2,815 FPS. 63.5gr of RL23

I shot steel with it out to 1,000 yards, and recently 3 impala, 2 Zebra and baboons with it

I have an almost exact load using Nosler 175 LRAB, Fed 215 and RE23, 26" Krieger 8.5 twist and getting 2920 using Labradar. Elevation at test is 1000, 80°f.
RE22 also shot well but was going for less temp sensitive for desert mulie hunts.

I have an almost exact load using Nosler 175 LRAB, Fed 215 and RE23, 26" Krieger 8.5 twist and getting 2920 using Labradar. Elevation at test is 1000, 80°f.
RE22 also shot well but was going for less temp sensitive for desert mulie hunts.

Wow! How many grains of RL23 are you using?? I'm getting 2,815 so I was thinking of pushing it up a bit but it is shooting so good I don't want to play games over another 100fps.

Here a bullet I shot a Zebra with at 180 yards.....broke shoulder, penetrated both lungs, and was under skin on far side

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 188

Originally if I remember correct I was right about 2900 and some change out of the factory Tikka barrel using RL 22 or Retumbo recipes. Currently I'm right around 3040fps but this is out of a 30" pipe. WLRM primers, Hornady brass, and IMR 8133 powder. Maintaining about 15 FPS E.S. and around 1/2 MOA groups pretty consistently. Not being boastful, just trying to illustrate that the recommended optimal twist rate is not the end all. It's a useful tool for not wasting too much on bullets, but until you try them, how could you know?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.