Heavier bullets for smaller callibers

Who said anything about "super slow heavy"? Lets keep apples to apples within the realm of the cartridge and load. I gladly sacrifice 2-300fps, sometime more, in a modern LR hunting cartridge for a higher BC bullet at LR and ELR ranges. I can quickly laze or mildot a game's distance and adjust holdover or turret, but with experienced LR/ELR shooters, it is the wind that always makes the difference. That's why high BC bullets.
When we start talking ELR the high bc will always win, but that's not what I was talking about.

Now I think we all are just adding noise. Suppressor vs my time of flight.

I did, that's the whole point of my post that everyone jumped on. Slow and heavy vs light and fast. I said most people can't shoot the difference with in a certain range.
130 hybrid at 3000 fps vs a 156 at 2650.
While I agree, this is an LR/ELR shooting and hunting forum, and as such, many of us can and do. Others are in various stages of their education, skill and confidence. Just because I cannot dunk a basketball or shoot a hole-n-one, I know there are those who can and do. Thus, people who can attempt to share their decades of knowledge and experience to help others achieve their highest potential. Part of that process is trying to convince people of what can be done and how it works.

Part of your post was in error, and that was the part about bullet BC not coming into play until after 800 yards. That is fundamentally and ballistically just wrong. But, you do you.

I guess the suppressor comment confused it. What I was saying is that the recoil is substantially less with the 156 at 2500 vs the 124 at 3150.

This thread is full of good information and it just shows that you need to know what you want to do when you pick your bullet.

I run a couple of 8" twist 22-250AI's, basically a 40degree CM, and with the 80's they are LR and ELR varmint killers. I have some 88's, but since I have a couple of thousand of the 80's still here, I will shoot them first.
I run the same barrel in my 22-250. My furthest prairie dog with it is 1137 yards. I used to shoot a 7mag built for ELR marmots. Made kills out to 1402 yards using Berger 180 grain HVLD's. When I was shooting 52 grain bullets out of my 22-250 hits became much more challenging past 500 yards as slight changes in the wind would move my bullets that inch or two between a hit and a miss. The heavier high BC bullets make a big difference.

Remember BC is all the way to the target, it just doesn't start at a certain distance.

Soley based on the numbers the guys shooting the 156 aren't giving up anything.

If you are "smoking guys" at unknown yardage it's because you are estimating the yardage better not because you have some kind of ballistic advantage. You're just the better shooter in your group IMO.

Remember BC is all the way to the target, it just doesn't start at a certain distance.

Soley based on the numbers the guys shooting the 156 aren't giving up anything.

If you are "smoking guys" at unknown yardage it's because you are estimating the yardage better not because you have some kind of ballistic advantage. You're just the better shooter in your group IMO.
Neither are the guys running the 130s that was exactly my point. You guys run what you want, but in my opinion the 156 is too heavy for the creed, and the 130 offers a good balance between flat trajectory, low recoil and wind drift.

Last edited:
I will agree that there is a point where a smaller case may not have the capacity to propel a heavy for caliber bullet to a speed sufficient to see any advantage. I don't have a 6.5 CM, but from what I've read I would think it probably does better with a lighter bullet than the 156.

I hung up my 257 wby for the most part antelope hunting because I was missing wind calls in moderate to high at mid ranges.I started using my much slower 338 NM with 300 OTM,great bc , and started connecting.Shot my buck this year in 45 mph wind @475,muley

Attachments

• SP 550 goat.jpg
    SP 550 goat.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I hung up my 257 wby for the most part antelope hunting because I was missing wind calls in moderate to high at mid ranges.I started using my much slower 338 NM with 300 OTM,great bc , and started connecting.Shot my buck this year in 45 mph wind @475,muley
Nice goat! Sounds like you used the right tool for the job too

I will agree that there is a point where a smaller case may not have the capacity to propel a heavy for caliber bullet to a speed sufficient to see any advantage. I don't have a 6.5 CM, but from what I've read I would think it probably does better with a lighter bullet than the 156.
Hopefully I get to pit the 156 against the 140/143 this weekend @1000 out of a Creedmoor. The 143 looks better on paper (group size)@100, but we shall see.

Last edited: