6.5 bullets heavier than 140??

6x47lapua

I have a 6.5 WSM and am looking to try some VLD type bullets heavier than the common 140 class Bergers, etc. Do any companies make them heavier? Something maybe in the 150 to 155 size?

Sierra use to make a 6.5 mm 155 grain SMK. They were loading 144grain SMK in Norma 6.5X55 Swede, not the 142 grain version .

Good luck

Jerry

What is your barrel's twist rate?

I am wondering at what point will one be required to go to a 7 twist with the heavier bullets. I was shooting the Cutting Edge 140's in 6.5x284 8 twist but they wouldn't stabilize so I had to drop down to a 130. CE initially claimed an 8 would work but changed it to 7.5(copper requires a faster twist than an equal weight lead bullet).
At some point a bullet make must realize that a factory barrel won't stabilize a heavy bullets and he will only be making it for customs which is a much smaller crowd. The Berger 7mm 195 grain for example, definitely worth going custom.

I have a 6.5 WSM and am looking to try some VLD type bullets heavier than the common 140 class Bergers, etc. Do any companies make them heavier? Something maybe in the 150 to 155 size?

I'm reading between the lines here (and there is a good chance I'm assuming wrong), are you really asking who produces the highest BC 6.5 bullet? :)

I also run the 6.5WSM. After starting out with the 130 CEB, I've since switched to the Matrix 160 grainer. Shoots great, cheaper than the CEB and I've been steadily rocking a G1 BC of .680 in my ballistic calculator. I haven't found a better bullet for the WSM as of yet.

I've read glowing reports regarding the Matrix 150 but I have yet to use them myself.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.