Heavier 7MM Rem Mag Bullets

Wow! How many grains of RL23 are you using?? I'm getting 2,815 so I was thinking of pushing it up a bit but it is shooting so good I don't want to play games over another 100fps.

Here a bullet I shot a Zebra with at 180 yards.....broke shoulder, penetrated both lungs, and was under skin on far side
63.8 gr RE23.
There was no published data from Nosler using RE23, only RE22. so I started at 59.5 going up in .5 gr increments to yield 10 rounds for a simple speed test
59.5= 2765 FPS
63.8= 2923 FPS (max book for RE22)
it was a steady increase in velocity with no flat spots, which makes it difficult to point at one area and say "load here". So I have some more jump adjustments to play with to drill down to something tighter in group size and perform a final OCW verification from 63 to 63.8 gr.
No pressure signs on brass or primers.

63.8 gr RE23.
There was no published data from Nosler using RE23, only RE22. so I started at 59.5 going up in .5 gr increments to yield 10 rounds for a simple speed test
59.5= 2765 FPS
63.8= 2923 FPS (max book for RE22)
it was a steady increase in velocity with no flat spots, which makes it difficult to point at one area and say "load here". So I have some more jump adjustments to play with to drill down to something tighter in group size and perform a final OCW verification from 63 to 63.8 gr.
No pressure signs on brass or primers.
Note:
I got to 2813 fps with 61 grains RE23 and 2824 fps with 61.5 gr. For your reference.

Note:
I got to 2813 fps with 61 grains RE23 and 2824 fps with 61.5 gr. For your reference.

Thanks for that Bob! I think that I am going to leave well enough alone and be happy with great accuracy and 2,815 FPS, especially since rounds are within 9FPS of each other. Plus my barrel is 26".

I was hoping for faster but as I said, the accuracy is 1/4" at 100 yards and I have my ranges down too.

I am really loving these 175gr ABLR's. Accurate as hell plus they are bonded;)

Thanks for that Bob! I think that I am going to leave well enough alone and be happy with great accuracy and 2,815 FPS, especially since rounds are within 9FPS of each other. Plus my barrel is 26".

I was hoping for faster but as I said, the accuracy is 1/4" at 100 yards and I have my ranges down too.

I am really loving these 175gr ABLR's. Accurate as hell
Don't change that load. That is plenty to hunt and play with.
My barrel just likes a bit faster load, usually 90-95% of max book loads, and finnicky to hit an accuracy node that is wide enough.

Not a Tikka, but a Weatherby Vanguard. Here's my target from today's failure at launching 175gr ELD-X out of a 1:10 factory twist barrel. Some of these impacts are really working their way toward sideways.

It was worth a try and now I know. Moving on to 168gr ABLR...

Attachments

• 20190901_173822.jpg
    20190901_173822.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 289
I shoot Nosler 175 ABLR from a remmy with a 9 1/4 twist, 62.2 gr R22 fed mag 215 primer, shoots lights out, it's the only thing that seems to shoot well in that rifle, but it works quite well.

I shoot Nosler 175 ABLR from a remmy with a 9 1/4 twist, 62.2 gr R22 fed mag 215 primer, shoots lights out, it's the only thing that seems to shoot well in that rifle, but it works quite well.

What velocity are you getting?

Not a Tikka, but a Weatherby Vanguard. Here's my target from today's failure at launching 175gr ELD-X out of a 1:10 factory twist barrel. Some of these impacts are really working their way toward sideways.

It was worth a try and now I know. Moving on to 168gr ABLR...
My attempt at using the Barnes bullets out of a faster twist than the advertised minimum yielded even worse results. Just couldn't stabilize them at 9.25 twist rate. Fail.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.