Builds getting heavier and heavier

Huntnful

Anyone else intentionally switch from "lightweight" builds, to heavier builds? Once I started really wanting true long range CONSISTENT performance, I realized my lightweight, ultra packable rifles were much more of a hinderance than help. Started at 7.5 lbs scoped, then 8.4lbs, then 9.3lbs and my next build will be pushing 10.5-11lbs scoped if all goes well. The increase in shootability and recoil management by adding just one pound to a build is pretty noticeable.

I've just slowly cared less and less about weight, and more about ability and consistency. 1000+ yards is no chip shot, especially in field conditions haha. No more TI actions, no more carbon barrels, bigger more dependable scopes and mounts, heavier and sturdier bipods, are just some things I've slowly switched over to. So my guns are technically getting cheaper, and easier to shoot. Kind of a win win haha. I do mostly pack-in type hunts, and I would say that the rifle and spotting scope is probably the only thing where I'm not thinking about the weight this season. Everything else is pretty light.

Of course 13lbs or 15lbs would be even easier shoot yet, maybe I'll get there one day, but that seems excessive 🤣.

I moved this way as well even with my target builds. Was a little conscious of weight thinking I'll double down hunting and target, now my target guns weigh 16-22lbs, my hunting guns weigh 10-13lbs. With the shoot ability of the heavier guns ive learned better shooting habits. Now transferring back to lighter rifles I struggled to shoot well before isn't such an issue any more I find. Definitely more of a struggle then the heavy target rifles but I'm much more effective with a lighter weight rifle then I use to be

I had a super light Barrett Fieldcraft with Steiner GS3 at one point that I thought was the coolest thing ever until it came to actually shooting it. That 10-12lbs range seems to be the best of both worlds for me which balances portability and shootability. Personally I like the carbon barrels, but I don't mind a little heavier scope to gain performance and offset an EH1 or other light stock set up. I had a Bergara in a GRS stock before and it was probably 14-15lbs and it was just too heavy to carry along with all my backpacking gear. It shot great, but I feel in no way disadvantaged with my current set ups that are a bit lighter.

I moved this way as well even with my target builds. Was a little conscious of weight thinking I'll double down hunting and target, now my target guns weigh 16-22lbs, my hunting guns weigh 10-13lbs. With the shoot ability of the heavier guns ive learned better shooting habits. Now transferring back to lighter rifles I struggled to shoot well before isn't such an issue any more I find. Definitely more of a struggle then the heavy target rifles but I'm much more effective with a lighter weight rifle then I use to be
That's a really good point also. I can definitely shoot a lighter rifle much better than I used to be able to also now.
You need to get the mdt triple pull!
Hahaha funny enough I spent a good portion of the day researching are the CKYE bipods! I ended up not getting any of them though. I've never needed more than a standard bipod for over 20 kills. So I went with the tall Atlas CAL for my second bipod instead. $1000 for something I've never needed, but wasn't in the cards today haha

I had a super light Barrett Fieldcraft with Steiner GS3 at one point that I thought was the coolest thing ever until it came to actually shooting it. That 10-12lbs range seems to be the best of both worlds for me which balances portability and shootability. Personally I like the carbon barrels, but I don't mind a little heavier scope to gain performance and offset an EH1 or other light stock set up. I had a Bergara in a GRS stock before and it was probably 14-15lbs and it was just too heavy to carry along with all my backpacking gear. It shot great, but I feel in no way disadvantaged with my current set ups that are a bit lighter.
I agree dude! I think the gain from 7lbs to 10lbs is huge and noticeable. But I don't know if the same would be from 10lbs to 13lbs. At some point there is diminishing returns for sure! I like carbon barrels also, but I think it was like 10-12oz more for a similar profile in steel so I didn't mind that. And you get a barrel and chamber job, for the cost of just a CF barrel.

I started with heavy long barrels when I got into distance shooting. Now I've switch to shorter CF barrels. Guns are weighing between 8-10-lbs full loaded. I'm still real solid at 600-700 yds at that weight. That's plenty of distance for the areas I hunt so it works for me. I carry the gun more than shooting it during the hunts so I choose less weight over ease of shooting.

I do agree if 1k shots were on the table a little extra weighed would help

I've been on the heavier is better bus for many years. I also like a rifle that is muzzle heavy, let's say you have two 11# rifles, one is pretty well balanced and feels better to carry and one is muzzle heavier by a good bit and honestly a little awkward to carry. I shoot the muzzle heavy rifle better, and I'd bet money you do too. It's like a stabilizer on a bow, you will benefit from having some weight that will counter your input into the rifle. It just settles a bit faster and it stays settled better. A suppressor on a light rifle does a really good job of showing this, when compared to a brake of relatively equal performance. A suppressor on an already muzzle heavy longer barrel rifle feels like cheating compared to a light rifle with really nice carrying balance when you're on the scope. My long range rifles weigh between 11 and 15 pounds ready to go and I have no plans whatsoever to build a light rifle. I have light rifles that I can shoot really well but I don't kid myself that they are a better tool for a long range shot from field positions, add a little buck fever and altitude and whatever else you don't get off the bench on the range and they are dramatically harder to be very precise with. If I did build light I would go as light as possible with the stock and the receiver, leave some weight in the barrel and hang a can on the end, you can get a more shootable rifle at a lighter weight and my 11# long range sorta rifle fits this criteria even though it just happened to come out that way without intentionally designing it to.

The line is certainly a personal preference but you are right on the money. Scope selection is how I dictate the build. If I'm building a flatland rifle for deer/antelope i tend to use bigger optics and 10+lbs rig. At my age humping a 10lbs rifle in the mountains is not welcome so im back down to <8lbs. My personal limits are not yours so you might find it easy to take 12lbs of iron up a mountain and make a 700 yard shot. Those days are behind me. Lol

I would never disagree a heavier rifle is easier to shoot accurately. I would say it is not easy to shoot accurately in a normal hunting situation for me. Heaviest I ever packed was a Sendero for a couple years and it was a royal pain in the butt. Felt like I was packing and moving a telephone pole around. Ready to hunt with ammo and sling weights. A 9.5# 300RUM has my longest kills where I hit where I had intended at only 650,800yds measured. I have been going lighter, and have about hit the bottom weight of what I am willing to spend. Savage UL 28N 8.5#, 338 Edge 9.5# are the two waiting to kill something.