Builds getting heavier and heavier

I started with heavy long barrels when I got into distance shooting. Now I've switch to shorter CF barrels. Guns are weighing between 8-10-lbs full loaded. I'm still real solid at 600-700 yds at that weight. That's plenty of distance for the areas I hunt so it works for me. I carry the gun more than shooting it during the hunts so I choose less weight over ease of shooting.

I do agree if 1k shots were on the table a little extra weighed would help
Totally agreed dude. 6-700 yards is a very capable range with an 8-9lbs rifle. I don't really think you're hindering yourself at all at those ranges. I mean 9lbs isn't no lightweight rifle as it is. That's a real good platform for a 700 yard shot. I'm hoping for 11-1200 yard ability for this season.

I agree completely that pushing shot to the 1000+ yard range is benefited by a heavy and stable rifle. However, the older I get, the less I care about carrying these heavy rigs. Heck, I find myself grunting just pulling a 12lb rifle out of the safe. When I was young and in great shape, I could carry a heavy rifle with a tree stand on my back while dragging a deer for 3 miles back to the truck. Yes, I about died from heat stroke/exhaustion. I was young and strong, but not particularly smart back then.

I get a lot of angry faces when someone wants to build an ultralight rifle for long range mountain type hunting and I ask them why they don't drop a few pounds off the ol beer belly first before they go cutting weight on all their other hunting equipment.
I always like this point, but for guys with beer bellies it doesn't translate, they just don't walk that far from the truck at elevation regardless of rifle weight. Leaving the truck for days without anyone else sharing camp weight cutting 3 pounds from a shootin rig, light tent, light clothing, light food, etc. makes a big difference especially if you are having to carry water. I do appreciate shooting a heavy gun, but anything I have over 9 pounds loaded only goes out on day hunts. I'm not old, but I'm definitely not young. I quit carrying 13 pound guns about 20 years ago.

I haven't gone heavier intentionally just to add weight on my current build, but it will be a bit heavier than previous builds. I'm not focused on weight as my sole priority, but rather shootable, consistent, accurate, & packable. I've narrowed down things that work well for me & are must haves regardless of weights, such as High quality Optics, Integral Action, Rigid Stocks that fit me & manage recoil properly, quality trigger, & suppressor.
I do pay attention to the weight options of each component but don't always opt for the lightest.
I adjusted my barrel length to keep it around 26"-27"with Suppressor attached, as this is manageable to carry or pack.
I also chose a caliber that is comfortable to shoot & provides bullet weights for terminal performance at the intended distances for my use.

That's the plan anyways 🤠

Last edited:
I really don't feel it's difficult at all to accurately shoot a 30 cal magnum that weighs 10lbs scoped and suppressed, anything heavier where I hunt bushwhacking in the mountains sucks.

I also love having a 6.5 and or 7mm capable to 900 yards that weighs in around 8lbs ready to hunt.
Even several mile day hunts are way more fun running fast and light, and it's much easier stocking in the low ready with a lightweight setup.
If I were hiking on trails, and only taking open country shots then a little more weight wouldn't matter much.

I've went the other way and moved both of my hunting rifles to 8.5 lbs. scoped. Now having said that they're both wearing 30 ounce Mk5's as I don't believe in skimping on glass. Both wear gilled brakes in 7 SAUM and 30-28 Nosler.

I hunted last year with an ultra-light Leupold tripod with a small ball head at just over 2 lbs. I'm thinking of moving to a standard sized CF tripod / ball head in the 4 pound range for stability and height.

Now what I really need to do is reduce the overall weight of my day hunting pack but dang with 15x56 glass, tripod and rifle it adds up quickly not to mention food and water for the day plus all the other essentials..... ;).

I like a heavier rifle as well, especially because I don't use brakes and can't have a suppressor in my commie state.

I would go heavier but I also need the ability to shoot offhand well. Over 11 pounds I feel it gets very difficult.

Killed my biggest buck ever last year with an off hand running shot at 20 yards…

Same boat here. Rifles are heavier, however cartridges also smaller. I'm a smaller framed shooter and like @willfrye027 I can't stand shooting with muzzle brakes, thus I hunt with a 10.5 pound creedmoor. Spotting impacts from unsupported field positions and ultra-quick follow up shots if needed just gives so much more confidence, especially hunting solo.

Same boat here. Rifles are heavier, however cartridges also smaller. I'm a smaller framed shooter and like @willfrye027 I can't stand shooting with muzzle brakes, thus I hunt with a 10.5 pound creedmoor. Spotting impacts from unsupported field positions and ultra-quick follow up shots if needed just gives so much more confidence, especially hunting solo.
I hate brakes too, but I've found that a high performing suppressor allows pretty easy shot spotting even on my lightweight 300 Norma Mag AI.
I don't consider myself a truly "big guy" just a lanky 205 pounder, I guess some body mass probably does help with loading the bipod and following through the recoil push though..

Anyone else intentionally switch from "lightweight" builds, to heavier builds? Once I started really wanting true long range CONSISTENT performance, I realized my lightweight, ultra packable rifles were much more of a hinderance than help. Started at 7.5 lbs scoped, then 8.4lbs, then 9.3lbs and my next build will be pushing 10.5-11lbs scoped if all goes well. The increase in shootability and recoil management by adding just one pound to a build is pretty noticeable.

I've just slowly cared less and less about weight, and more about ability and consistency. 1000+ yards is no chip shot, especially in field conditions haha. No more TI actions, no more carbon barrels, bigger more dependable scopes and mounts, heavier and sturdier bipods, are just some things I've slowly switched over to. So my guns are technically getting cheaper, and easier to shoot. Kind of a win win haha. I do mostly pack-in type hunts, and I would say that the rifle and spotting scope is probably the only thing where I'm not thinking about the weight this season. Everything else is pretty light.

Of course 13lbs or 15lbs would be even easier shoot yet, maybe I'll get there one day, but that seems excessive 🤣.

With the advent of wheels and the internal combustion engine…..there is no limit to which "hunting (?)" rifles can weigh. God forbid the vehicle breaks down……the "rifle (?)" must be left behind with the broken down vehicle! 😉😂 memtb

I've got ultra light options and heavier options. Let's just put it this way. On
My spring bear hunt next month we will be backpacking in for 4 days and doing about 2k ft of vertical and about 3 miles. I'll be taking my custom 300 prc suppressed that weight just under 12 lbs. why? Because long shots are the norm. A 800 yard shot is much more doable with a 12lb gun than a 7 lb gun. Also, I can take a follow up shot much quicker/accurately with a heavier platform. Also, we're only packing one rifle between 3 of us.

I get a lot of angry faces when someone wants to build an ultralight rifle for long range mountain type hunting and I ask them why they don't drop a few pounds off the ol beer belly first before they go cutting weight on all their other hunting equipment.

Cause my beer belly is the only thing I got that's paid for.