Builds getting heavier and heavier

It's great to have options and try different tools for different situations. I was chasing a target weight on my last build. It worked out but not without a great deal of thought and planning. There is a point where you are limiting your options by chasing a target weight. I have found there is sweet spot in weight for a ready to hunt rifle for me. 8.5 to 9.5 pounds is something that opens up your options on optics, etc., but really doesn't limit me in hunting situations. I'm not shooting 338 Edge or 300NMI. If I was, I would probably add a pound or two.

Im shooting light for caliber. Ive shot into 6'' at 1000 with my set up as I hunt bipod on, its QD.Im 60 and hunt rugged step country. Im fit for my age, never going to go heavier.I have a heavier duplicate rifle, with lighter trigger.Is a joy to shoot but makes me nervous to pack hot, its more cumbersome to get to shoulder, mag hangs down, kinda in way.I have packed it 9 miles one day moose hunting, and am close to similar amount of animals taken with both rifles.One is 7, other 9,but that adds up scope ring, sling,ammo,bipod

Others have addressed this , and I concur. If there is such a thing as an easy answer to this, this is my thought.

It solely depends upon the type of hunting to be done and the physical parameters of the hunter. For specific types of hunting…..the sky is the limit on weight. For an extremely physically challenging hunt, the rifle would likely weigh much less than would be considered as optimum for long range (700+ yards)……unless that hunter happens to be a near world class triathlete or a freak of nature. JMO. memtb

Others have addressed this , and I concur. If there is such a thing as an easy answer to this, this is my thought.

It solely depends upon the type of hunting to be done and the physical parameters of the hunter. For specific types of hunting…..the sky is the limit on weight. For an extremely physically challenging hunt, the rifle would likely weigh much less than would be considered as optimum for long range (700+ yards)……unless that hunter happens to be a near world class triathlete or a freak of nature. JMO. memtb
Absolutely! If I was just timber pounding, I wouldn't want a rifle any more than probably 8 pounds. But I'm almost always hunting rugged mountains with lots of cross canyon potential.

But I don't think the physical challenges of a hunt should totally dictate the rifle build. Mostly the shot distances intended to be taken. Packing a 6lb "sheep gun" all over hell only to have a super unstable 600-700 yard shot on a once in a lifetime animal wouldn't make sense to me honestly lol.

Here's a recent buck I killed and where my backpack camp is set up at that I'm taking him back to. I think sheep country would be much easier to get around in 😅😅. I would feel the extra 2lbs from the rifle much more on the packout I think though.

97D2B0FD-B8D0-4490-AD70-EF80DA85CF9C.jpeg

I am older now and older people get a bit of the shakes, which is why I like heavier rifles. I need all the stability I can get at any range. I think the weight range you have targeted is a perfect compromise for both long range shooting and packing. Again, good choice.
Me too!
A little more weight makes my rifle a little easier to steady

Absolutely! If I was just timber pounding, I wouldn't want a rifle any more than probably 8 pounds. But I'm almost always hunting rugged mountains with lots of cross canyon potential.

But I don't think the physical challenges of a hunt should totally dictate the rifle build. Mostly the shot distances intended to be taken. Packing a 6lb "sheep gun" all over hell only to have a super unstable 600-700 yard shot on a once in a lifetime animal wouldn't make sense to me honestly lol.

Here's a recent buck I killed and where my backpack camp is set up at that I'm taking him back to. I think sheep country would be much easier to get around in 😅😅. I would feel the extra 2lbs from the rifle much more on the packout I think though.

View attachment 445878
Wow! That looks just like a place I hunted a lot. Missionary Ridge, SW CO.

I just crunched all my build data for my next build. 300 Norma Mag Improved.

Bat Vesper Action - 26oz
Benchmark Med Palma 26" finish - 72oz
AG composite Adjustable KS1 - 42oz
Trigger & Bottom metal - 6oz
SS muzzle brake - 2oz
ACR M10 Rings - 5oz
March FX 4.5-28X52 - 28oz

Totaling - 11lbs 5oz

If after hunting with this for a while and I decide it's too heavy, I can switch to a carbon barrel and TI muzzle brake and bring it down to that 10-10.5lb range of need be also.