Builds getting heavier and heavier

I didn't think much about Chassis style guns until I became an MDT dealer. Their flexibility is stunning. As one example:The ACC chasis 4.5 lbs, add your barrel and action, accessories to that for your finished weight. BUT: That Chassis if you need more weight...with their well thought out M-lok design you can within 15 minutes add an additional 12.5 lbs of weights. Put em' where you want em' ! Going to spend a day at the range filler up! Long walks take off 8 lbs! Best of both Worlds in minutes!

Couldn't agree more. My hunting scenarios are almost always, big vantages with long distance glassing. Then getting as close as I can before setting up for a shot. It could be 200 yards, or could be 1000 yards. I like the idea of building the gun for the intended use. A 7lb magnum isn't a dependably accurate long range rifle, and a long range rifle isn't meant to be still-hunted with through the timber lol.

View attachment 467698

My gun was recently finished, and should weigh about 11lbs 12oz with the 4-20 ATACR that I finally decided to put on it. Base rifle was exactly 9lbs
Well thats a good method, assuming of coarse the terrain is such that allows for closing the distance.
But it so happens that wouldnt happen very often in Pa.
You will shoot from where you are, or not at all.

It's hard to argue with the success many members have with heavier magnums used for their intended purpose. Back in the day I really never gave it a second thought carrying a heavy rifle all day. However, now I will reach for an 8.5 lb rifle ready to hunt even if I'm going to be still hunting for most of day. There is just something perfect about this weight class with my current strength and stamina. Granted I am not shooting shoulder cannons and really don't see the need in my hunting.

It's hard to argue with the success many members have with heavier magnums used for their intended purpose. Back in the day I really never gave it a second thought carrying a heavy rifle all day. However, now I will reach for an 8.5 lb rifle ready to hunt even if I'm going to be still hunting for most of day. There is just something perfect about this weight class with my current strength and stamina. Granted I am not shooting shoulder cannons and really don't see the need in my hunting.
I think any cartridge could benefit from an 8.5lb baseline. And then an increase from there for recoil management based on the bigger cartridge size. And the added weight just adds stability also.

I may very well hunt all season with this heavy rifle and be ****ed that I forced a 12lb rifle on myself haha. But I want to see if it's worth it, or necessary for a consistent 1000-1200 yard rifle.

I have a heavier 338 NM,its more my practice/rig gun.I have shot almost equal with both rifles and on game also.But packedlite version far more.The heavier version is much harder to get quickly on target, and also hangs up, going by my pack.Its basically maybe 2-3 lbs more.But the stock is thicker,aci mag hangs down.It just doesn't go to the shoulder with ease like my packer.And the lighter trigger is not so good going thru the alder patches.But its a dream to flop down and shoot distance.Friend of son,used it for across ravine for first bull.500+ which is nothing for that rifle
IMG_0744.JPG

My steel barrel on that chassis and can weighs less, and it's not even a sporter profile barrel.

But 9lbs is heavy field gun territory not lightweight backpacking.
Its 8lbs 14 ouncs. It's just a tad over at 8 without the can. Yeah you can build a lighter rifle with no mag, non folder stock, and short pencil weight barrel if that's your thing. If you think a 9 lb rifle of this level is heavy I guess maybe you need to stop a poll and get an education. Most will run 10-13 lbs without batting an eye for a long range capable rifle.

Its 8lbs 14 ouncs. It's just a tad over at 8 without the can. Yeah you can build a lighter rifle with no mag, non folder stock, and short pencil weight barrel if that's your thing. If you think a 9 lb rifle of this level is heavy I guess maybe you need to stop a poll and get an education. Most will run 10-13 lbs without batting an eye for a long range capable rifle.
I'm saying I have that exact stock, with the folder, a non-sporter normal length barrel with the mag, heavy scope and supressor on it and it's under 9.
Point is carbon barrels are rather heavy. You have to be up past .850 in steel before carbon is lighter.

I think there's just sometimes a disconnect on here that this is a Long Range Hunting forum. And not, just a hunting forum. So sometimes we're comparing apples to oranges lol.

I'm saying I have that exact stock, with the folder, a non-sporter normal length barrel with the mag, heavy scope and supressor on it and it's under 9.
Point is carbon barrels are rather heavy. You have to be up past .850 in steel before carbon is lighter.
Gotcha! I agree with that for sure. I'm still not personally sold on carbon barrels myself. I'd venture to say I would probably just use a smaller contour steel barrel (of the same weight) before I use carbon in the future again.

Gotcha! I agree with that for sure. I'm still not personally sold on carbon barrels myself. I'd venture to say I would probably just use a smaller contour steel barrel (of the same weight) before I use carbon in the future again.
What contour steel barrel are you using? I have two ordered through Preferred Barrels Blanks and waiting for them to ship, they are the .750 taperless barrel, not sure what weight they will be, they are fluted to take some weight off as well. I have not been sold on Carbon barrels yet, mainly just looking at the cost alone, but also had read about the steel they whittle down for the carbon is fairly thin before adding the carbon back for reinforcement. I would think the groups would open up if one was shooting a heavy magnum in a fast repetition. I would not know though, I have no experience with them. What was your experience, what was the reason why you moved away from them?

What contour steel barrel are you using? I have two ordered through Preferred Barrels Blanks and waiting for them to ship, they are the .750 taperless barrel, not sure what weight they will be, they are fluted to take some weight off as well. I have not been sold on Carbon barrels yet, mainly just looking at the cost alone, but also had read about the steel they whittle down for the carbon is fairly thin before adding the carbon back for reinforcement. I would think the groups would open up if one was shooting a heavy magnum in a fast repetition. I would not know though, I have no experience with them. What was your experience, what was the reason why you moved away from them?
That's very close to the tikka d18 contour, which is 1.13 shank to a .730 muzzle with not much contour after the step down. Fluted. Those come out around 3# ish iirc for 22-24"

Last edited: