Builds getting heavier and heavier

You can build a light rifle with a can and a carbon barrel and have the beat of all the worlds. 9 lbs.

IMG_6231.jpeg

Nah, you just have the company that is doing your barrel, make the end of the barrel a bit wider to accept those threads.

I have a Douglas featherweight profile barrel with 5/8 threads on it. The profile of that is .560 at the end, which you cannot put 5/8 thread on. I just had them bring it up to the minimum dimensions for 5/8 in the last inch or so. Just like you see on the Barrett Fieldcraft. Charged me like $50 extra to do that.
That's not as simple as it's written in reality. Well it is, but right now it takes a ton of time and a custom contour upcharge.

That's kind of why I said prefits. Also goes for if you're just trying to find a smith with a barrel on the shelf ready to go or drop shipping a barrel to a smith.

Most barrel manufacturers are 6 months out and then gunsmith times. I know it can be done, no doubt about it. But I think all the logistical roadblocks are why people don't do consider it much.

The likelihood of finding a barrel on the shelf of a distributer or gunsmith that's a pencil with a muzzle bell is almost zero, which is unfortunate

not even to mention how hard it is to get a cut rifle manufacturer to contour a stainless featherweight barrel.

Last edited:
On a whim I ordered a stockys vg2 carbon stock. Looks to have the same ergonomics as the krg bravo I currently use but is only 23oz vs 46oz. Should shave right at 1.5lbs offf the rifle. Making it 7lbs and change.

There's a strong correlation between weight, muzzle energy, and precision, to the point you can estimate a rifle's precision with about 70% confidence given weight and muzzle energy. Heavy, low power rifles generally move less before the bullet leaves the barrel than light, high power rifles. That leads to less dispersion on the target. There's more to it than those 2 variables, but they have a significant impact on precision.

Both have their place. I wouldn't lug a 23lb rifle up a mountain chasing goats, nor would I take a 7lb rifle to a PRS match. If the goal is long range precision a heavy rifle is the way to go, but that needs to be balanced with the environment it's used in.

The line is certainly a personal preference but you are right on the money. Scope selection is how I dictate the build. If I'm building a flatland rifle for deer/antelope i tend to use bigger optics and 10+lbs rig. At my age humping a 10lbs rifle in the mountains is not welcome so im back down to <8lbs. My personal limits are not yours so you might find it easy to take 12lbs of iron up a mountain and make a 700 yard shot. Those days are behind me. Lol
True story.
First understand that ive been hunting the same area for more than 70 years.
In the early days our (group) and many others hunted deer by the driving method. That being some of the group taking stands, and others walking towards them from some distant point.
Since the area we hunt is mostly mountainous, there is alot of work involved in doing that.
Usually the main roads run through the valleys, meaning that the top drivers and standers have to climb up the steep hills to get into their position.
A local man by name of Roy always hunted with us, one of the leaders if you will.
Roy had been born and raised in that area, lived there his entire life, which at that point was about 70 years.
Anyway My late friend Jerry was the designated top stander for that drive. He was told to go to the top to where he had a good view of both the flat area on top as well as the sidehill below.
After the drive was over, Jerry walked up to Roy and said, hey Roy, how do you get onto that road up there?
And Roy said there is no road up there.
To which Jerry responded by saying, well two guys in a 53 Chevy just waved to me up there as they drove past me.
Do you have any idea how much time and energy is wasted by people not knowing about those type things?
Mind you, this was back in the day when most hunters werent driving 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Eastern long range hunting is typically done from fixed locations offering good views of the surrounding area.
There would be very few places where there would be long steep hikes from a vehicle, and many places where there would be no hike from a vehicle.
If that were not the situation, then many of those pursuing that method of hunting there, wouldnt be doing it.
Myself included.

There's a strong correlation between weight, muzzle energy, and precision, to the point you can estimate a rifle's precision with about 70% confidence given weight and muzzle energy. Heavy, low power rifles generally move less before the bullet leaves the barrel than light, high power rifles. That leads to less dispersion on the target. There's more to it than those 2 variables, but they have a significant impact on precision.

Both have their place. I wouldn't lug a 23lb rifle up a mountain chasing goats, nor would I take a 7lb rifle to a PRS match. If the goal is long range precision a heavy rifle is the way to go, but that needs to be balanced with the environment it's used in.
Couldn't agree more. My hunting scenarios are almost always, big vantages with long distance glassing. Then getting as close as I can before setting up for a shot. It could be 200 yards, or could be 1000 yards. I like the idea of building the gun for the intended use. A 7lb magnum isn't a dependably accurate long range rifle, and a long range rifle isn't meant to be still-hunted with through the timber lol.

536DB402-24D1-412E-A4EA-2DC3D5FF802C.jpeg

My gun was recently finished, and should weigh about 11lbs 12oz with the 4-20 ATACR that I finally decided to put on it. Base rifle was exactly 9lbs

I went down in weight and back in time. I got rid of all my heavy barrels and synthetic stocks, even my McMillan. All my rifles except my little 22-250 wear wood stocks and the only rifle slightly over 9 lbs is my 300 wm. I prefer my 7 rm for hunting and it isn't over 8lbs.

I live where many travel long distances to hunt. I spend more time in the woods carrying a rifle than many spend on the range or sitting and watching what ever game is on television. I want my rifles comfortable in the hand.

If given the choice of shooting at targets or being in the woods, I'm in the woods. If given the choice of a long range trophy or just a chance of getting another average 6x6 up close I say give me my bow and get out of my way. I'm just an old man that doesn't mind working hard to harvest and doesn't care about what's trending.

Couldn't agree more. My hunting scenarios are almost always, big vantages with long distance glassing. Then getting as close as I can before setting up for a shot. It could be 200 yards, or could be 1000 yards. I like the idea of building the gun for the intended use. A 7lb magnum isn't a dependably accurate long range rifle, and a long range rifle isn't meant to be still-hunted with through the timber lol.

View attachment 467698

My gun was recently finished, and should weigh about 11lbs 12oz with the 4-20 ATACR that I finally decided to put on it. Base rifle was exactly 9lbs

Solid choice on the ATACR 4-20x50! That's what's going on my 300 NMI also. Great thread on rifle weight, it's nice to see where different setups end up for their intended use. Importantly, being intentional about the rifle weight can be a huge advantage. There's a place for lightweight rifles and a place for "heavier" setups too. They each have their limitations and advantages. Kinda feel like I've learned the hard or better yet "fun way"... haha. After trial and error like yourself I don't think I'll own a 30 cal magnum under 10 lbs scoped again. They just shoot so darn nice when properly weighted!! And on the flip side, there's still a place for 8-8.5 lb easier carrying rifles. Like a 6.5 prc or 7 saum! Balance is key! 🤙🏽

I went down in weight and back in time. I got rid of all my heavy barrels and synthetic stocks, even my McMillan. All my rifles except my little 22-250 wear wood stocks and the only rifle slightly over 9 lbs is my 300 wm. I prefer my 7 rm for hunting and it isn't over 8lbs.

I live where many travel long distances to hunt. I spend more time in the woods carrying a rifle than many spend on the range or sitting and watching what ever game is on television. I want my rifles comfortable in the hand.

If given the choice of shooting at targets or being in the woods, I'm in the woods. If given the choice of a long range trophy or just a chance of getting another average 6x6 up close I say give me my bow and get out of my way. I'm just an old man that doesn't mind working hard to harvest and doesn't care about what's trending.
AA0F69A7-BB16-410B-A65E-66DE9DC71585.jpeg

66398745-1625-4A7F-A08F-7B9EC71B79B7.jpeg

D7DF8E59-7DFF-4903-8AEA-05292928E39E.jpeg

These were just from last season. I killed a buck at 974 yards with a rifle, and one at 24 yards with a bow. I like them both equally and don't feel even 1% that one method is superior to the other. The reward is in the effort. An easy bow hunt is no more rewarding than an easy rifle hunt. And a hard rifle hunt can 100% be far more rewarding and difficult than a lot of archery hunts.

Solid choice on the ATACR 4-20x50! That's what's going on my 300 NMI also. Great thread on rifle weight, it's nice to see where different setups end up for their intended use. Importantly, being intentional about the rifle weight can be a huge advantage. There's a place for lightweight rifles and a place for "heavier" setups too. They each have their limitations and advantages. Kinda feel like I've learned the hard or better yet "fun way"... haha. After trial and error like yourself I don't think I'll own a 30 cal magnum under 10 lbs scoped again. They just shoot so darn nice when properly weighted!! And on the flip side, there's still a place for 8-8.5 lb easier carrying rifles. Like a 6.5 prc or 7 saum! Balance is key! 🤙🏽
Couldn't agree more!! Also looking forward to how that ATACR is going to work out!