Most potent long range elk cartridge with .473 bolt face

Only problem with moving the shoulder forward is that he is not an experienced reloader yet. The ai would be easy but forming a regular improved with the shoulder being moved is not a beginner cartridge to play with. If he has a mentor that knows how to do it no problem. But I wouldn't tell someone who hasn't loaded before to do one. The ai chamber is an easy one and will give a
big boost and he can shoot box ammo to start. I like the much added capacity of the rpm case but who knows how good the brass is going to be. If it's soft like regular wby brass then he's better off with an ai.
Shep

I posted this on the wrong thread. There is another thread telling someone to open up their 06.
He is the one with no loading experience.
Shep

A.I. is a great round but it leaves out "most potent"

The 300 Sherman holds 76-77 grains H20 depending on brass manufacturer and has a .317" neck. It will run a 180 at 3100+ and a 215 at 2950+ with no problem.
Case forming is nearly as easy as the A.I.
All you need to do is partial neck size to form the false shoulder and fire away.
I didnt have RL26, N565, etc, when I had mine, so velocity would be attained even easier. Mine was a 28" barrel. Loss per inch of barrel is around 20'

You need to spend more time reading his post and less time peddling your cartridges. "I don't like the idea of having to fireform all my brass" - OPs words

You don't have to fireform 280AI brass and in a pinch you can buy factory ammo.

I like your cartridges Rich, but some times its too much.

You need to spend more time reading his post and less time peddling your cartridges. "I don't like the idea of having to fireform all my brass" - OPs words

You don't have to fireform 280AI brass and in a pinch you can buy factory ammo.

I like your cartridges Rich, but some times its too much.

Maybe you should read the OP, he specifically asked about Sherman's too even though he's not really into fire forming.

My first wildcat was my 270 Sherman. Never had a problem fireforming. Neck up, partial resize back down to form the false shoulder, generally anneal with the low tech torch and drill method just to soften the necks back up and shoot. I found a very accurate fireforming load while I was at it too. The general consensus is it takes a hundred rounds or more for a barrel to really settle in anyways so fireforming isn't really a total waste of barrel life if you choose good brass and take care of it. If you decide to go this route, I'd pick rws or Norma brass in that order. If you want more punch, have the bolt face and feed ramps opened up and go with your choice of magnum.

What does that have to do with anything!!
Totally unrelated to this conversation. Possibly start another thread for it, could get more useful info.
How is that guys comment unrelated?
The OP is asking about potent elk rounds to 900
You need to make a good hit to be potent, that should factor into cartridge choice..
Ease up fellas

I'mbuilding another hunting rifle. I was wanting a long range boomer like a 338 edge to kill elk out to 900yds, but I ended up with a #4 30 cal 1-10" twist barrel and a standard long action. I also have a 7mm 1-8" twist #5 barrel. I am guessing that the hardest hitting cartridge with this combo would either be the 30-06 Sherman or the 280 Sherman but maybe there are other options out there. I don't really like the idea of having to fire form all my brass first though. Would I just be better off swapping bolts with someone and building a 300 win mag or 300 PRC?
Man I'd just keep it simple and open that bolt up for a 300 PRC, especially since you're wanting to kill elk way out there.
I shot a bull at just under 1k with a heavy 6.5 and it was retarded..
I nearly lost him with a perfect lung shot, I'm building a 30 Sherman for this season

I think every cartridge here is a great choice. Sorry that 6.5 caused a bad experience tracking the animal but IMO any lung shot is deadly BUT the animal can cover alot of ground after being hit thru the lungs. Some drop within 20 yards and some go 400 yards. I've experienced it with both archery and rifles. It could have been a 30 caliber round that caused it. One thing I will say, it wasn't because it was a heavy 6.5 unless it was a Grendel. Any 6.5 with enough juice to make a hard impact at nearly 1K will get it done on an elk. Many do not or may not want to agree or use one but from experience, I can tell you they work very effectively. I've killed 4 elk with a 6.5-284 and 2 were at over 800 yards and both dropped from quartering away shots behind the shoulder. I watched 2 fall immediately. The other 2 were closer than 400 and they too dropped fast. No tracking. It's really just a matter of sometimes things happen that way. Not all shots anchor big animals instantly.

Maybe you should read the OP, he specifically asked about Sherman's too even though he's not really into fire forming.
He mentioned it, but didnt ask about it. Go back and read it. (Maybe you should read the OP 🙄) There wasn't a question in there about the sherman. Rich commented on my post, by the way, telling me how much better his sherman cartridge was than the 280 AI. If you aren't into fire forming his cartridges arent for you - thats just a fact Rhian.

Man I'd just keep it simple and open that bolt up for a 300 PRC, especially since you're wanting to kill elk way out there.
I shot a bull at just under 1k with a heavy 6.5 and it was retarded..
I nearly lost him with a perfect lung shot, I'm building a 30 Sherman for this season
If you almost lost him I highly doubt it was a perfect lung shot bro.

He mentioned it, but didnt ask about it. Go back and read it. (Maybe you should read the OP 🙄) There wasn't a question in there about the sherman. Rich commented on my post, by the way, telling me how much better his sherman cartridge was than the 280 AI. If you aren't into fire forming his cartridges arent for you - thats just a fact Rhian.

" I am guessing that the hardest hitting cartridge with this combo would either be the 30-06 Sherman or the 280 Sherman but maybe there are other options out there. " OP

Looks like a question to me, generally using the words "I'm guessing" can be taken as such. No the 280AI while good is not the most potential on that bolt face, while he doesn't like fire forming which many of us don't after that short process I've never regretted it because I get what I want from it which is performance.

So Rich can't respond with the best facts closest to the source in a thread that Sherman chamberings were questioned as the most performance on that case head, he just put down some facts that the OP can see to weight that against a dislike of fire forming which is a question many of us have asked but at least the facts are there.

As we've seen since the OP phrased a question there has been some really good responses, the new RPM cases for example or going with a larger bolt face has a lot of merit too.

A.I. is a great round but it leaves out "most potent"

The 300 Sherman holds 76-77 grains H20 depending on brass manufacturer and has a .317" neck. It will run a 180 at 3100+ and a 215 at 2950+ with no problem.
Case forming is nearly as easy as the A.I.
All you need to do is partial neck size to form the false shoulder and fire away.
I didnt have RL26, N565, etc, when I had mine, so velocity would be attained even easier. Mine was a 28" barrel. Loss per inch of barrel is around 20'

Sounds very close to what I was talking about and you already have the load data and the dies.

So with all of the choices mentioned by the membership, the OP can make the decision as to go stock 30/06 and find out what range it will be effective, or start the process of adding cost and upping the power/velocity. Some cartridges will cost less than others and require less trouble and equipment. Ether way, reloading will become mandatory in most cases.

One other choice not mentioned that will hammer an Elk with the right bullet is the 35 Whelen. It will almost match the 358 Norma. (The old one). If the barrel is to be changed but no work on the action and bolt face is desired. (It's only money) :)

J E CUSTOM

Looks like a question to me
There is a difference between thinking out loud and asking a question. A question usually ends with one of these "?". And honestly man - fireforming is such a PITA, if the OP doesnt want to do it, the tiny amount gained by a more improved ackley improved is a moot point. Not everybody likes wildcats nor has the time for them.

If it were me I'd go with a 6.5 or 7mm with that Nosler 280 AI brass in mind. But, in all fairness, I do not, in general, give elk nearly as much credit for being tough as most guys do. If you're talking most HP seems like those Shermans have pretty well maxed out the 06 case.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.