Most Underrated Cartridge

Most underrated to me is the 6.5x55 Swede. In a modern action it has surprising performance. The old cip pressure rating of 45,000 cup has it castrated.
Most over rated is the 17 hmr.

Agreed! At least here in the US. There is something nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede and it's been around longer than our venerable .30-06.

Last edited:
My favorite is the Rem 700 in 8mm Mg. It was nudged aside by the 300 Win Mag,which has very slight ballistic advanages. Fine caliber for all N. American and some African plains game.

I'm surprised the 7mm stw hasn't been mentioned yet. Seems a favourite and quite capable at killing anything at extended range. And it has a a lot of fans at least on this forum.
Or the 7mm Weatherby, quite a bit more velocity than the remmy in a long action cartridge.

Just because nobody's mentioned it;

300 WSM

When considering energy delivery, at say 1000yd; per grain of powder, I don't think it gets any better than this. Especially if a long throated long action is used. Taking into account barrel life, brass life etc - well, I haven't done a cost benefit analysis, but I feel like it's tough to beat the 300WSM slinging ~200gr at ~3000fps

We are allowed 2 entries. While I've never tried one, the OP brought up voting with our dollars; I propose the 7mm Sherman Short is commercially the most under appreciated design of our day. 180gr @ 3000fps in a true short action. Can it get any more elegant than that?

Agreed Geno ! Talk about a cartridge getting screwed and short changed....easily fits in the "if you could only had one" category ! Best part is by it's designer non the less. With a good bullet, x-bullet or partition it'll handle anything in NA with ease and that includes big brownies.. Great Cartridge that gets zero respect !

[QUOTE="Swamplord, post: 1359637, member: 2460"

When the member count grows the members who were passionate about the groups "long range hunting" origins get trampled by the wild eyed bubbas with their run of the mill 100 yard pokers and the mission is derailed and compromised

pretty sad, but aside from all that .......,.[/QUOTE]

I don't see a downside to this myself. The more members the better. If all we had were a small group of members talking strictly about longrange, things would get pretty boring around here.

[QUOTE="Swamplord, post: 1359637, member: 2460"

When the member count grows the members who were passionate about the groups "long range hunting" origins get trampled by the wild eyed bubbas with their run of the mill 100 yard pokers and the mission is derailed and compromised

pretty sad, but aside from all that .......,.

I don't see a downside to this myself. The more members the better. If all we had were a small group of members talking strictly about longrange, things would get pretty boring around here.[/QUOTE]
Good point-I am not a long range hunter but routinely come to this forum because there is so much info here. Besides, we all need opposing views to keep ours relevant, imo-and on any subject

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.