Most potent long range elk cartridge with .473 bolt face

I said it probably helped that he was close. Just showing the almighty foot pounds isn't everything. Long for caliber high sectional density bullets kill with lower energy because they have penatration. I'm a big fan of the 6.5
Shep

Im a big 6.5 fan and use them elk hunting but I ain't doing it at 900 yards. It's not shot placement as it is the bullet having enough speed and energy to perform properly and that's where magnums come in. The extra speed and energy matter at those distances. Not saying it can't be done with the smaller non mags, justsaying if I was building a gun with the intent of long range elk hunting it would be a .30or bigger big magnum

Very well said
Having been the idiot who used a 6.5 on elk beyond 900 yards, the small lighter bullets just don't have the energy for massive internal trauma needed for reliable and quick kills.
Not saying a 300 rum is needed, but certainly a heavy bullet from a fast 7mm at the minimum

Very well said
Having been the idiot who used a 6.5 on elk beyond 900 yards, the small lighter bullets just don't have the energy for massive internal trauma needed for reliable and quick kills.
Not saying a 300 rum is needed, but certainly a heavy bullet from a fast 7mm at the minimum
Can't argue with the bigger heavier bullet with much more steam for killing power on elk. I believe using the big 30s or mid-heavy 338s rule to solidly anchor an elk in unknown conditions/ranges. Best thing I can say is learn the rifle your shooting and shoot it at ranges you'll hunt at. Use the heaviest most accurate bullet for the job and cartridge you'll hunt with and be ethical (in your mind) in your range and shot. Regardless of what I think of anyone thinks, Elk are, have been and will continue getting killed effectively, efficiently and quickly with well placed 6.5 and 7mm bullets from 140-195 grains. Yes bigger is better in the case of Big animals, that's never been a secret. They also get killed with smaller weight, high bc hunting bullets also. It's usually the brains behind the engine that makes it happen successfully vs not so successfully. Bench/field time behind the gun is the only way to make it happen. Not go big or go home. Hit the "X" and good things happen.

This is why I never ask what to build ... I just do it and share it later.
Is there a thread on this? Blowing primers and such?

If there is let me know. Blowing primers is normally caused by excessive pressure and not inherent to a cartridge. I am prepping up to load my .30 Gibbs.

.35 Whelen to .30 Gibbs false shoulder + .30-06.jpg

(L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, ran through .30 Gibbs resizing die to establish a false shoulder, and factory ammo .30-06 (any guess 😇 )).

I will be doing the COW method and fire-forming off the chamber as starters. I might end up with hydraulic forming die or Qual Cart brass, who knows but we shall see. ;)

Last edited:
This is really a loaded post, so let's simplify it a little bit. Your subject says "Most potent long range elk cartridge with .473 bolt face" so, .300 WM and .300 PRC are out. You do not like the idea of fire-forming first before, so your SS consideration is out. I am no expert but this leaves .30-06 AI and .280 AI seems to be your best options. I am in no way suggesting which way to go, just trying to simplify things to help you in your decision-making process.

The most potent factor regardless of chambering is the "NUT" behind the trigger. BTW, I originally was going to have my .30-06 re-chambered to AI but went with .30 Gibbs instead ("my" personal choice).

View attachment 191179
View attachment 191183
View attachment 191152

Just curious if the shorter neck on the Gibbs affects accuracy of the round? I'm about to get something in 30 caliber built, presently the rifle is in 30-06 and thinking about just keeping is an 06, the Gibbs sounds interesting.

Just curious if the shorter neck on the Gibbs affects accuracy of the round? I'm about to get something in 30 caliber built, presently the rifle is in 30-06 and thinking about just keeping is an 06, the Gibbs sounds interesting.

I am no expert and this is my first endeavor with Gibbs but I do not think so. "IF" shorter neck designs affect accuracy, cartridges like the .300 WMs, STWs, etc will not thrive and last as long they have thus far. There's a cartridge design that hardly has any shoulder but I cannot remember it. Maybe somebody will post it. This is going to be subjective and rest assured there is going to be an overwhelming opinion sharing ... just wait for it. :cool:

"IF" you are not willing to go through the extra cost and time and effort, just keep it .30-06.

ADDED: Fount it ...

stanpup05x600.jpg

Check out this thread >>>https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/what's-the-benefit-of-having-a-long-necked-cartridge.196331/page-3

Last edited:
Is there a thread on this? Blowing primers and such?

For me personally I started reloading when dinosaurs were still walking the earth. In just about any popular and some not so popular rounds, and.....have never "blown a primer" out of any round! If a reloader follows the recommended load and sneaks up on the maximum SAAMI loads, the primes will not blow, even if junk brass is loaded. A primer might fall out after too many reloads, however it will not "blow" out as described in these posts. The only round that I have had a primer blow out of was on my son's 35 Whelen using 200 grain "factory" SUPERFORMANCE ammunition, the primer decintergrated, smoke came out of the pressure ports and pieces of primer was strewn throughout the action. People get into trouble when they try to make a cartridge larger, faster, more powerful then it was intended to be.

I am not a big fan of all the new, rocket launching, barrel burning, powder buring cartridges that keep getting lauded by the shooting media; hype and BS to its finest!! I remember the .280 Ackley Improved being the best all, catch all round that was going to conquer the hunting and shooting fields well into shooting history. Then.......we got the 6.5 Creedmoor, that is the latest cartridge that is lauded to kill elephants from 2 miles away; this too will fall by the wayside when the newest and latest cartridge will come out. For me and my shooting capabilities and hunting needs I usually will compare what is out there to the .270 Winchester and the 30-06 Springfield. If one were to conduct a "true" comparison of the cartridge, bullet for bullet, barrel length to barrel length, there really a whole lot of difference between the new round and the .270 Winchester and the 30-06. What I have found with the new and the latest reloading manuals is that many of the "new loads" are conducted using 26 inch barrels, especially with the overbore cartridges.

In this particular situation the cart has been placed before the horse. Without reloading capabilities I would suggest keeping the rifle in 30-06 Springfield, you've got all that you need to build the rifle. Perhaps a "new thread" to try posting would be, "Is the 30-06 a good round for taking elk out to 900 yards?" might answer your question more specifically. Or....simply buy a new bolt (didn't read in post about make of rifle) and build a 300 WinMag. Good luck with the build.

P.S.: When is the drawing going to take place with the raffle; I've entered?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.