Open Bolt Face To Accept .577 Cartridge?

Good

Hi all, is it possible to open a Remington 700 short action bolt face to accept a .577 case head? Thanks in advance.

Yes, but it leaves very little bolt face shroud and you have to install another extractor and it will be very fragile. for anything over a magnum bolt face I recommend an action with a larger bolt diameter. for strength and size. With larger case head diameters, comes more bolt loading. (More square inches of surface with the same PSI)

I don't personally recommend it.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Yes, but it leaves very little bolt face shroud and you have to install another extractor and it will be very fragile. for anything over a magnum bolt face I recommend an action with a larger bolt diameter. for strength and size. With larger case head diameters, comes more bolt loading. (More square inches of surface with the same PSI)

I don't personally recommend it.

J E CUSTOM
JE, I have read this about long actions, like opening a Rem 700 30-06 up to 338 Lapua size, but my thinking was that the short action is inherently stiffer and may be acceptable for just a .577 short action cartridge vs the Lapua's .588 or whatever it is long action and 90g+ powder. I may do one of these short actions just to build as a sort of prototype. Then do a more expensive titanium rig if it works out and I'm happy with it on the cheaper platform.

JE, I have read this about long actions, like opening a Rem 700 30-06 up to 338 Lapua size, but my thinking was that the short action is inherently stiffer and may be acceptable for just a .577 short action cartridge vs the Lapua's .588 or whatever it is long action and 90g+ powder. I may do one of these short actions just to build as a sort of prototype. Then do a more expensive titanium rig if it works out and I'm happy with it on the cheaper platform.

The problem is not in the length, but in the recoil lugs. they are the same size and will see the same bolt loading.

The idea is good just the type of action would not be my first choice.
there are some custom actions with 3 lug designs that also have a larger bolt and more lug area.

J E CUSTOM

id agree w/e JE. i dont think there is enough there. Id reccomend a new action vs trying to open that one up. will you have enough OAL for the loaded cases?

Use a chrome moly action instead of stainless and you'll be fine...thousands of Lapua based 700's are out there without an issue.

I researched this topic until I was blue in the face and there are people who do it and people who don't. I ended up going with a custom action to get the Lapua bolt face and am much happier with that product than modified 700's I have. Not really worth it to me even if I went with a PT&G bolt with that Lapua face already cut.

Box fed (or blind mag) short action in .338. Just mulling ideas to get the most HP possible for a lightweight mountain rifle. It would certainly not achieve Lapua levels.

It was to be based on an Ackley improved version of John Lazzeroni's 8.59 Galaxy but I was informed by them that the brass is out of stock and won't be available for 18 months. Oh well...☺️

Box fed (or blind mag) short action in .338. Just mulling ideas to get the most HP possible for a lightweight mountain rifle. It would certainly not achieve Lapua levels.

It was to be based on an Ackley improved version of John Lazzeroni's 8.59 Galaxy but I was informed by them that the brass is out of stock and won't be available for 18 months. Oh well...☺️

Didn't they build the Galaxy on a Savage for a while?

Can you improve it much? It's it already pretty much min taper and a sharp shoulder?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.