Most Underrated Cartridge

This thread is fascinating to read through. There's the people who throw out cartridges that are obsolete or obsolescent or darn close. Which I had intended when starting this thread. Yet there is a surprising number of ppl who feel the popular cartridges are underrated. Yet they are the cartridges that crush the sales of the others lol. Interesting how the psych works!

My favourite cartridges listed are the 280ai, 264wm, 340wby, 250-3000, 6.5 rem mag, 6.5-06, and 240wby(although I'm the only one who likes it lol)

My favorite underrated on that list is still the one I posted. Who doesn't love the first short action mag! There have definitely been some posted that are way out there! Great thread.

7x57 Mauser The father of high-power rifle cartridges it was a cutting-edge military round, and I doubt there's any animal on the planet it hasn't successfully taken down. But only a small minority of hunters still use it.
and the 375 Ruger

I think the 300 H&H (the original 30 Mag) is very underrated. It didn't really take off because Holland and Holland didn't make rifles. They had to rely on someone else to make the rifles like Remington and Winchester. Meanwhile, the 300 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag took off because Weatherby and Winchester made their own rifles. The H&H is very comparable to the WinMag and slightly behind the Weatherby in ballistics.

No, there standard, I use 25-06 brass and neck them down. Currently I'm running 54 gr of rl25 at 3450 with 105 bergers
Nice, I'm using 52gr of h4831 and pushing 95gr ballistic tips at 3225...they shot superb there so never really tried much faster, I think I took it to 3350fps. It's the only powder I've tried. probably would be another node past 3400 fps. It's a 27" varmit contour Ruger #3

Nice, I'm using 52gr of h4831 and pushing 95gr ballistic tips at 3225...they shot superb there so never really tried much faster, I think I took it to 3350fps. It's the only powder I've tried. probably would be another node past 3400 fps. It's a 27" varmit contour Ruger #3
54 is hot, but my throat is set for 55-80 gr. My other rifle runs best around 3200 for 105 and 3400 for the 95 gr, mined a pac-nor 28" med palma

I think the 300 H&H (the original 30 Mag) is very underrated. It didn't really take off because Holland and Holland didn't make rifles. They had to rely on someone else to make the rifles like Remington and Winchester. Meanwhile, the 300 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag took off because Weatherby and Winchester made their own rifles. The H&H is very comparable to the WinMag and slightly behind the Weatherby in ballistics.
Not true... Harris Holland founded H&H in 1835, and started manufacturing their own guns in-house around 1850. So, other than the first 15 years or so, H&H has almost always built their own guns chambered in their own cartridges.

The .17 Remington Fireball has also almost been completely forgotten. My buddy has one, and it's so much fun to shoot. ZERO recoil. I've tried to buy that rifle so many times over the years, but he won't sell it.

Another classic that seems to have been pushed aside for something newer is the .22-250.

The .17 Remington Fireball has also almost been completely forgotten. My buddy has one, and it's so much fun to shoot. ZERO recoil. I've tried to buy that rifle so many times over the years, but he won't sell it.

Another classic that seems to have been pushed aside for something newer is the .22-250.

I really like the 22-250. Very easy to load for with no recoil. A hoot to shoot. My dad's 22-250 AI has really grown on me. That's a heck of a cartridge

22-250=great cartridge. With my dads old 700, I can pile shot after shot on top of one another.
But how about the 22-243 middlestead. I believe it can push a 50gr bullet at 4300 fps...look out coyotes!

I have a 25-06 Rem and an 8mm Rem Mag, two of the cartridges mentioned, and I don't have near as many rifles as some of you guys ;) Both are fantastic hunting cartridges!

8mm RM never caught on. It filled the same niche as the already popular 338 Win Mag. But I kinda dig the Big 8. I wanted something halfway between a 300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag. What I got is more like halfway between a 300 Weatherby Mag and a 340 Weatherby Mag.

I didn't know the 25-06 wasn't popular. My dad had one when I hunted with him when I was a kid. He probably had it going back to the days when it was still a wildcat. So I grew up around it. I didn't hunt for many years. I had guns, but they were (are) defensive weapons. When I wanted to get into hunting as an adult, the 25-06 was the first thing I bought.

Someone mentioned the 6.5x55. It may be underrated here in the States, but I've heard it's very popular in Europe. The whole 6.5mm craze probably owes a lot to the 6.5x55. I think the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor fill that niche here though.

284 Win is a good one I saw mentioned. Wasn't it sort of the original short/fat "magnum" (or almost magnum, anyway)?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.