What cartridge?

We have 2 rem 600 Mohawks, both 16" barrels, one 243 one 308. That 308 kicks like a mule, more felt recoil than a heavier, longer rifle in 300wsm. I put a deceleration pad on it, but it's significant, especially considering my 16yr old daughter shoots it. I loaded 165 HP SGKs because I have a lot; it would be better to use 130g TTSX for less recoil. Here's a deer she shot this year. The 243 kills well and has less recoil, but it doesn't do this. IMO ballistics are immaterial for the OP's 0-400yd range, but our 243 can't generate the velocity to overtake the 308 at 16" of barrel. 308 130g TTSX are 2900ish in that rifle, and 243 pushes an 85g SHPBT at 2950 or 100g SGK at 2800. These are the most accurate loads, not the fastest.
Gotta love it when the daughters get it done right!!!!

We have 2 rem 600 Mohawks, both 16" barrels, one 243 one 308. That 308 kicks like a mule, more felt recoil than a heavier, longer rifle in 300wsm. I put a deceleration pad on it, but it's significant, especially considering my 16yr old daughter shoots it. I loaded 165 HP SGKs because I have a lot; it would be better to use 130g TTSX for less recoil. Here's a deer she shot this year. The 243 kills well and has less recoil, but it doesn't do this. IMO ballistics are immaterial for the OP's 0-400yd range, but our 243 can't generate the velocity to overtake the 308 at 16" of barrel. 308 130g TTSX are 2900ish in that rifle, and 243 pushes an 85g SHPBT at 2950 or 100g SGK at 2800. These are the most accurate loads, not the fastest.
Have you tried a TMK, or Berger in the 243? With a more frangible bullet you should be able to get the same results a 308 mono

Some are more recoil-sensitive than others. That sensitivity may be to blast or punch or both. The 308 in a short barrel has a particularly nasty muzzle blast, housed in a light rifle, it may have punch greater than most '06s. That will exceed tolerable for some, may be just unpleasant for others. Maybe like you, I've steeled myself to recoil through many years of shooting large bore handguns and elephant rifles. Even so, I find it unpleasant to be at the bench next to a Remington 600 in 308.
Then sitting at the bench next my 50 would definitely be a PITA....hey that must be why the benches clear out and I have the range to myself for 30 minutes!!!!!!

Have you tried a TMK, or Berger in the 243? With a more frangible bullet you should be able to get the same results a 308 mono
No, I realize people use them, but I've not used TMKs for hunting. I've used bergers in heavier calibers, but not 6mm. Do you get reliable exits with them on deer size animals? Not trying to derail the thread, just wondering. I was thinking of ordering some Hammers to see how they do.

Recent Posts