What 300 cartridge.

okiegunner

Wanting to get a 300 barrel for my dt srs and trying to decide which one to go with. Wanting one to be able togo buy factory ammo and go stretch it out past 1000 yards. Ive always shot 6.5 and 308 at that distance. Wanting something with a little bit more knock down power at that range. What do you guys recommend?

Wanting to get a 300 barrel for my dt srs and trying to decide which one to go with. Wanting one to be able togo buy factory ammo and go stretch it out past 1000 yards. Ive always shot 6.5 and 308 at that distance. Wanting something with a little bit more knock down power at that range. What do you guys recommend?
Will your action accommodate the big boomers being recommended?

For practicality and wanting to shoot factory ammo, the 300 PRC is the best choice. If you know you will handload some day, 300 win mag. If you know you want the biggest, baddest .30 and don't care that it costs over $5 every time you pull the trigger, go RUM or Norma

Thanks for all the suggestions! Went and looked at what was available directly from them and it looks like its only 3 of them 300wm, 300nm, and 300 rum.
1000024755.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions! Went and looked at what was available directly from them and it looks like its only 3 of them 300wm, 300nm, and 300 rum.
View attachment 540020
Unless your action can accommodate a COAL of 4.00" to take advantage of the long/heavy/high BC bullets for the 300 RUM, I'd stick with 300 WM/NM/PRC, .30 Nosler, etc.

Recent Posts