What cartridge?

I'm a vote for .308 win as well. My kimber weighs 5.5 lbs without scope with a 22 inch barrel. It is a delight to carry. I have loads for both 168 g and 125 g MKZ Cavity Back Bullets (all copper, 3 flutes, CNC machined in Montana, cavitybackbullets.com). The 168 g runs 44g varget, 2.835" oal, avg 2608fps, sd 12.7, es 23. The 125g runs 47.5g varget, 2.830 oal, avg 2884fps, sd 13.8, es 38. These are my numbers and of course, load up yours with caution. Ive not shot anything with the 125g yet but will. I get a little better accuracy (1moa vs 1.2moa) with the 168g and variation numbers are a little tighter. On line videos show penetration, 168g, in ballistic gel around 22" with an opening dia of about .9". I've defaulted to the heavier bullet for the last 5 deer. They were all were hammered, with 4 DRT and the other spewed blood like I've not seen before. Hunting, I never feel the recoil, but if you are sensitive or have the tender shoulder, the 125g may be the way to go. I'm a big fan of 6.8 SPC as well and Cavity back Bullets makes a 105g and a 120g MKZ bullet. In my AR, the 105g is running 2820fps, 1 MOA. My rifle is with a Blackstone 18" 3R barrel. If you want low recoil, it is light in my gun and I think you would be pleased. I have not shot a deer with it yet, as the numerous times I hunted with it this year, the deer didn't show. They seem to prefer showing when the .308 is in my hands! I realize that you wanted a 16" barrel. Blackstone makes them in 16" as well. Check em out on 68forums.com for lots of love from the members (and lots of love for the Cavity Back Bullet design and field results) or go right to their site at blackstonearms.com

My current 308 both have 22 in

Well I have 3 308's all with 22 inch barrel, Browing, Winchester, and TC compass.
The Winchester came with a factory muzzle brake that I can install for recoil. I will then start looking at 125/130 gr bullets.
I need a shoulder replacement but am a little too young so I'm trying to avoid recoil.
I really like the options out there but probably have what I need in my safe. I say probably….. thanks everyone!
I last comment: there are sorbothane shoulder pads avaialble for reducing felt recoil; they help, as well as a good recoil pad...

Shot a Merkel 7/08 w/16"weighing under 7lbs, last weekend.....Get out your checkbook, list for over $4500, but very accurate and just plain fun to shoot! Then the Ruger Scout in 308 is also a 16" Shooter that feels same in weight as Merkel but less recoil because factory muzzle brake. Those have been the only short barreled light weight guns I've shot, that cover the spectrum from best to not as good. Both can do the job, but the Ruger meets the OP's requirements better. 70630803669__CD096810-E7F8-4FC6-875E-3356F700216B.jpegThe Merkel is on left side. CZ 223 on rt. Buddy provided this photo of his Merkel.

Why is there a 300 yard limit on a suppressed ARC? but not unsuppressed? That makes zero sense. Mine is 450fps over the minimum expansion velocity at 400 yards and has enough energy for deer according to fuddlore from an 18" gas gun.
I was merely saying I wouldn't shoot a 16inch 308 parent cartridge unsuppressed but I have and would shoot about anything ARC/Grendel with or without a can. This is purely about muzzleblast. A 16" 308 reminds me of the carbine mosin nagant I had in college, straight fire breather.
As for the distance I don't care for what minimum expansion velocity is, I personally just FEEL like an ARC or Grendel aren't bringing the mail like I would like at that range. I am in dense, briar ridden southern pine flats and swampland. Hell I'm not even a fan of 243 even though I never lost a deer the one season I used it I also never got a pass through or good blood trail that year.

I was merely saying I wouldn't shoot a 16inch 308 parent cartridge unsuppressed but I have and would shoot about anything ARC/Grendel with or without a can. This is purely about muzzleblast. A 16" 308 reminds me of the carbine mosin nagant I had in college, straight fire breather.
As for the distance I don't care for what minimum expansion velocity is, I personally just FEEL like an ARC or Grendel aren't bringing the mail like I would like at that range. I am in dense, briar ridden southern pine flats and swampland. Hell I'm not even a fan of 243 even though I never lost a deer the one season I used it I also never got a pass through or good blood trail that year.

This is the issue, all of this crap that is parroted is just based off of personal feelings and has no data or scientific driven basis. It goes back decades. How many animals have you shot with an ARC or Grendel to determine these feelings?

Good call. Some quick data I dug up. Obviously it depends on bullet of choice and min velocity for its performance.

This is Hornady's barrel length/velocity chart
and a 4dof screenshot 108gr ELD-M at 2350 MV

2350MV is pretty conservative. At 1600 min velocity for expansion on ELDs, I think 400 is doable.
View attachment 546249View attachment 546250
I I get 2670 from my 22" so I guess it could get there.

Attachments

• C8879872-2820-4C11-973E-6728CE7D704C.jpeg
    C8879872-2820-4C11-973E-6728CE7D704C.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 19
This is the issue, all of this crap that is parroted is just based off of personal feelings and has no data or scientific driven basis. It goes back decades. How many animals have you shot with an ARC or Grendel to determine these feelings?
None with ARC and 6 whitetails with a Grendel (40-180yards). My feelings are based on crawling through briars on blood trails tracking deer, yeah the bullet opened and there was a dead deer at the end but the DRT and painted woods blood trail ratio goes will go up when you add velocity and mass within reason.

You do you man, the OP asked for advice and what's what I would tell anyone. Same as I would opine 300PRC is probably a bit much for whitetails at inside 400.

"Light" recoil must mean something different to some people. I have a Kimber 308 (sub 6lbs) and I consider it anything but "light" recoil. It is not a pleasure to shoot.

10lb 6.5cm is pretty modest, I can shoot it all day.

8lb .223, now that's "light" recoil!

None with ARC and 6 whitetails with a Grendel (40-180yards). My feelings are based on crawling through briars on blood trails tracking deer, yeah the bullet opened and there was a dead deer at the end but the DRT and painted woods blood trail ratio goes will go up when you add velocity and mass within reason.

You do you man, the OP asked for advice and what's what I would tell anyone. Same as I would opine 300PRC is probably a bit much for whitetails at inside 400.

Cool, I've had to track deer that were hit solid with 30 caliber magnums too. What's your point? There's no guarantee that an animal is going to drop in its tracks from anything aside from a CNS shot.

They are perfectly adequate for deer to 400 yards and even beyond if you're a good enough shooter to place the shot.