What 300 cartridge.

Factory ammo that is readily available and cost effective, leaves one choice: 300 Win mag but go with 1-8 or 1-9 twist to use heavier bullets.
Unless a guy was gonna run 230+ gr bullets, I'd stay 1:10. And most of that class bullet will be stable in a 1:10 at decent muzzle velocities. Plus, pressure rises as twist increases

He's wanting Factory ammo! Good luck finding Norma in either caliber!

Hornady, Berger, and Black Hills make 300NM factory match ammo as well as some custom loaders. I've shot the Berger and Black Hills and it's good ammo, just expensive.

Factory ammo that is readily available and cost effective, leaves one choice: 300 Win mag but go with 1-8 or 1-9 twist to use heavier bullets.

I shot 215gr and 230gr Berger Hybrids out of 10 twist AINA 300WM barrels out beyond 1.5 mile with great accuracy. You don't NEED a 8 or 9 twist, a 10 is absolutely fine to stabilize them.

"buy factory ammo and go stretch it out past 1000 yards"

Seems to me that you would want to shoot longer higher BC bullets that do better in a 8 twist barrel. Most 300 PRC's come with an 8 twist. 300 PRC ammo is readily available. Not a tough choice.

Wanting to get a 300 barrel for my dt srs and trying to decide which one to go with. Wanting one to be able togo buy factory ammo and go stretch it out past 1000 yards. Ive always shot 6.5 and 308 at that distance. Wanting something with a little bit more knock down power at that range. What do you guys recommend?
If the action is long enough 300 Norma

As I said, I won't disclose the powder. Hence the reason I said I won't mention it. I'm not going to feed into the buying hysteria. So you are correct in that assumption. My other win mag runs 3,100 with H1000 and a 205 EH nowhere near pressure. Just because you've done it for 55 years doesn't mean you know all there is to know
I catch same heat from non believers when I tell them I run 250 Atips in the low 2900s with a 30 inch 1-8 twist barrel without pressure. Next barrel I'm gonna try a 34 inch then cut to 32 and collect data and match to what I have in 30 inch version.

I wouldn't disclose my powder either, too many variables out there most don't consider.

If shooters want to maximize whatever case they choose, Quickload is a must. Lots of newer powders on the street now that far surpass the old traditional staples. In addition to using a custom reamer with proven specs. In the 300 win mag case like mine, generous free bore (Roy Weatherby was a genius far ahead of his time with development of ultra high velocity rounds), very long throat and headspace of the shoulder like the rest of the world making the belt a mute point.

WSM is in fact an awesome case, just not enough capacity to wring every last ounce from the 230-250 gr bullets. Mid to light heavies, it works great and is very accurate.