Most Efficient 7mm Cartridge for 195 EOL Elite Hunter???

Why not just build a .28 Nosler...?

Good caliber - have a 30 Nosler that I love.
I like building wildcats...take that back, LOVE it. Love experimenting with calibers and rifles that few others have.

Won't have a huge advantage over my 7/338 NM other than probably better barrel life and not using the lapua bolt size...might be just a tad lighter but I would be splitting hairs.

Good caliber - have a 30 Nosler that I love.
I like building wildcats...take that back, LOVE it. Love experimenting with calibers and rifles that few others have.

Won't have a huge advantage over my 7/338 NM other than probably better barrel life and not using the lapua bolt size...might be just a tad lighter but I would be splitting hairs.
I do too... But sometimes its not worth it when there's already something established that does the exact same thing with the same amount of powder...Unless you're working on something totally random, new, or highly improved over an original for a specific reason, like brass availability or price.

Don't take my post as criticism, I totally respect the wildcat aspect of "because I wanted to". I was just pointing out that it was basically the same thing as the .28 Nosler, even down to powder capacity and dimensions, incase you weren't aware. That's a lot of extra work, and money for custom dies and a custom reamer when you could essentially get the same end result for significantly less work and money.

Original poster of the thread. The title being "the most efficient cartridge for a 195 eol"
I'll grant you that the prc might be a little bit more efficient than a NM. Although not much since the NM has a shorter burn column and not that much more capacity. Given current brass availability though, I would probably stick with the NM case and load down to lower pressure which would still match the prc. Just my opinion.
His original post was what case to push a 195 @ 3000fps. Doing that efficiently not running max pressures, will take a big case. 7 stw, 7mm-300wm and 28 nosler come to mind. If you want to run high psi loads, a 7mm blaser can do it with a long throat, maybe even 7mag and 7wby. Easiest would be 28 nosler at the 2.52" case length and 101gr Capacity. If you throat it long enough, 3150fps is obtainable, but that will be a high psi load.

I do too... But sometimes its not worth it when there's already something established that does the exact same thing with the same amount of powder...Unless you're working on something totally random, new, or highly improved over an original for a specific reason, like brass availability or price.

Don't take my post as criticism, I totally respect the wildcat aspect of "because I wanted to". I was just pointing out that it was basically the same thing as the .28 Nosler, even down to powder capacity and dimensions, incase you weren't aware. That's a lot of extra work, and money for custom dies and a custom reamer when you could essentially get the same end result for significantly less work and money.

Agree - didnt take it as criticism. Discussions are a learning opportunity and there is always something to learn.
I dont mind the work or spending the money - every time I do, I learn something

All depend on how much brass prep you want. Also do you really want to go to a 338 Lapua bolt face ? Sure, the 300NM necked down to a .284 Is hard to beat performance wise. Especially with the 195s. IMO, the 28 Nosler will be right on it's heels with alot less brass work. OTC 28 Nosler brass makes it an easy choice BUT if you want an in ordinary and interesting cartridge, the 7 Norma Mag would fit that bill as good as any.

Last edited:
I have not loaded for my improved 7mm blaser yet, but based on reports of other builds, i would say the 7mm blaser (improved) at <70 grains and around 3000 is pretty efficient

I have not loaded for my improved 7mm blaser yet, but based on reports of other builds, i would say the 7mm blaser (improved) at <70 grains and around 3000 is pretty efficient
What are the case dimensions for the 7 Blaser Improved?

Improved drawing

Attachments

• 7mm Blaser Imp.png
    7mm Blaser Imp.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts