most efficient magnum rifle cartrige ?

Why is the 300. Wsm so popular for the most efficient magnum rifle cartridge

Well if you used the 300 WM as the benchmark/performance standard. Then lots of magnums would fall on either side of that line. The 300 WSM can pretty much duplicate the speeds from a 300 WM with 180/190 gr. bullets with 5/6 gr. less powder. Also it's very mainstream (not a wildcat and in the popular 30 cal. segment) and its accuracy is fast becoming legendary. Plus it hits hard on that 600 yard line.

you could also go old school and build a 300h&h... It would be as efficient as a 300wsm (virtually the same case capacity) and do the same thing speed wise. Add the nostalgia factor, and you've got a very accurate, powerful, and cool 30 cal. magnum.
I noticed the 35 whelen mentioned; I love mine, but she's pooping out a good bit past 1/4 mile. I doubt you would want to use her as a 600+ yard hammer... To a couple of hundred yards she's aces though; my best 200 yard group of the year (.295") is still out of my ruger in 35 whelen.

......you could also go old school and build a 300h&h... It would be as efficient as a 300wsm (virtually the same case capacity) and do the same thing speed wise. Add the nostalgia factor, and you've got a very accurate, powerful, and cool 30 cal. magnum........

I regret not re-barreling to another .300 H&H. Safe seems empty without one!

The 300 that gets the least amount of efficiency credit is the 300 SAUM, a great little cartridge that receives hardly ever a mention when talking .300's. I've been shooting it for a long time and have a lot of respect for this cartridge it'll do just about everything the other 300's will do with far less powder but you never read a word about it on most discussions of 300's, I've found it to be extremely accurate also.

Just a quick comment since the OP mentioned efficiency in regards to powder. One cent is about 2.5 grains worth of powder. 5 to 6 grains diff in the WSM and WM is about 2 cents you are saving. Winchester brass from midway is 4 cents/case difference with the WSM being more expensive. Sounds like a wash to me.
6mmbr.com has a nice article I read on the 20 cal cartridges and the most efficient round by a lot was also the slowest by a lot. Speed comes at a price. Cost of 30 cal over 338 cal bullets is more.

Ok i'm going to have a new custom rifle built for hunting deer to moose and everything in between. I want a round that will deliver plenty of knock down power out to 600 yards and flat shooting ,now all of that said I have plenty of rifles that will do just that but what I'm looking for is the most efficient cartridge that will do just that and do it without a need for more powder than it will burn. {the least amount of unburned powder} some calibers eat alot of powder with little gain just a waste of money but fun to shoot lol I'm looking to save money in the powder dept.
T hank's Len

If you you don't mind a wildcat, but want the most efficient, I would consider my SS case in 6.5 or 7 mm. The case is less than 2" long and will cycle through standard actions with the long bullets. MV with a 26" barrel is 3100+ with 160's in the 6.5 and 3050' with 180's in the 7mm.....Rich

If you you don't mind a wildcat, but want the most efficient, I would consider my SS case in 6.5 or 7 mm. The case is less than 2" long and will cycle through standard actions with the long bullets. MV with a 26" barrel is 3100+ with 160's in the 6.5 and 3050' with 180's in the 7mm.....Rich

Whats an ss case.

The cartridge I recommended will produce 60 ft pounds of muzzle energy for each grain of powder used.

How much will the ones you guys recommended produce?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.