most efficient magnum rifle cartrige ?

reloaderlen

Ok i'm going to have a new custom rifle built for hunting deer to moose and everything in between. I want a round that will deliver plenty of knock down power out to 600 yards and flat shooting ,now all of that said I have plenty of rifles that will do just that but what I'm looking for is the most efficient cartridge that will do just that and do it without a need for more powder than it will burn. {the least amount of unburned powder} some calibers eat alot of powder with little gain just a waste of money but fun to shoot lol I'm looking to save money in the powder dept.
T hank's Len

Ok i'm going to have a new custom rifle built for hunting deer to moose and everything in between. I want a round that will deliver plenty of knock down power out to 600 yards and flat shooting ,now all of that said I have plenty of rifles that will do just that but what I'm looking for is the most efficient cartridge that will do just that and do it without a need for more powder than it will burn. {the least amount of unburned powder} some calibers eat alot of powder with little gain just a waste of money but fun to shoot lol I'm looking to save money in the powder dept.
T hank's Len

Not a magnum, but a 26" barreled .280 AI with a Berger 168 VLD and a warm load of 7828 SSC should be a nearly full or compressed load, and have a complete burn, if not, it would be very close. It would be excellent for your purposes.

As for magnums, 26"+ is going to be needed for a complete burn. Some calibers are more efficient than others. I have found the 7mm RemMag to be among the most efficient. And that is also my recommendation.

I have recently spent a lot of effort researching this. Do you have a caliber preference?

Realistically you cannot get those long range characteristics AND efficiency in any cartridge for game as large as a moose out to 600 yds.

I'd say shoot a 300 RUM with a 230 Berger or 338 RUM with a 300 Berger and the heck worrying about how much powder it uses. Neither will be that flat shooting btw.

I'd say pour over a few reloading manuals and read about the variety of cartridges available. Nosler does a good job with their write-ups.

I would look at the 300 WSM. I have one and it would have no problem with any of the tasks mentioned out to 600 yards and quite a bit more actually. Except for the moose. I would get closer no matter what I was shooting if possible. The rest though is a piece of cake.

338 win mag, 338 RCM, 338 WSM would all be good choices. Not the fastest or flattest but with some 250 bergers they should all have plenty to dispatch a moose at 600. My 21 inch barreled 338 win mag is pushing 250 bergers at 2800 FPS. Decent speed but its the high BC that makes all the difference. At 600 yards it still has 2500 Ft/Lb of energy. I cant remember my load off hand but I know its quite efficient.

I would recommend 7mm rem mag for high bc bullets with decent recoil and powder burn. Its probably good for moose but i would probably want a little more energy so a 30 cal or 338 is probably a little better for moose. So maybe a 338 win mag,300 rum.

T hank's Len

Since you never answered my question about caliber preference and since you are getting some answers that have totally ignored your criteria, I'll answer based solely on the bold part of your question. The answer is a 338-06 with a 250 gr Berger bullet. It is as efficient as you can get for the job you want it to do.

Since you never answered my question about caliber preference and since you are getting some answers that have totally ignored your criteria, I'll answer based solely on the bold part of your question. The answer is a 338-06 with a 250 gr Berger bullet. It is as efficient as you can get for the job you want it to do.

Edd, OP says magnum in the title though?

Right now I think the most efficient I've ran is a 7 Sherman Short mag, 180 Bergers easily over 3000 fps with good bullet position and an overall length under 3 inches. Next would be SAUM and WSM IMO.

338 win mag, 338 RCM, 338 WSM would all be good choices. Not the fastest or flattest but with some 250 bergers they should all have plenty to dispatch a moose at 600. My 21 inch barreled 338 win mag is pushing 250 bergers at 2800 FPS. Decent speed but its the high BC that makes all the difference. At 600 yards it still has 2500 Ft/Lb of energy. I cant remember my load off hand but I know its quite efficient.

+1! Have a similar load with my .338 WM except with 250 NAB and 24" barrel.

I'm with BARRELNUT, the 300 WSM can do all your asking with a 24" barrel.
Yep, add my vote. Great caliber with 180 grain bullets, maybe even 200s. If you want to shoot heavier bullets than that I'd go with a 300 Win and 26" barrel. Plenty for elk and moose out to 600 and beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.