most efficient magnum rifle cartrige ?

Looks like were getting about 62ft lbs per grain with the SS, I checked most everything we shoot and they are all 60 ft lbs per grain +/- 2 ft lbs.

These threads are always lots of fun. So I will shake it up a bit. Efficient is a relative term, right? So as of late I have been considering a new rifle that I think would be extremely efficient. So what I want to build is a .375-.338 Lap Imp. I just cut some 400g pills that I dropped off to Kirby yesterday that he is going to give a go. The 338 Lapua brass among the best brass currently if not the best. Can be shot many times so the cost of brass goes down in the end. Cost of powder and bullets would be more compared to any of the smaller rounds mentioned. But then comes in that term efficient. Which to me means what you get for what you put in. So this rifle would run a 400g projectile at 2800+ fps and offer 4300 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards. All this with just 105g of powder. Then if you feel like it you can run it out to 1000 yards and still have 3000 ft/lbs of energy. All this in a 10-12 lb carry rifle. How cool would that be!

Steve

As for the muzzle energy per grain of powder the 375-338 Lap Imp would produce 66 ft lbs per grain of powder.

Steve

As for the muzzle energy per grain of powder the 375-338 Lap Imp would produce 66 ft lbs per grain of powder.

Steve

If I wanted to be selective with loads instead of using a broad range of them, I could produce an example of 68 ft lbs for a 338-06.

When I read through all of the above posts, I think several have digressed from the op's question. He wanted Magnum, Efficiency, and Flat shooting out to 600 yards. Some 12 gauge slugs will probably make 70 ft lbs./grain but not be useful here. I think a lot of rounds will produce 2 of the 3 things mentioned, but not all 3 at the highest level.....Rich

I have little to no experience with most of these cartridges, but I did a lot of research with similar goals in mind. 300 WSM was one of my top contenders and gets my vote here. (Substitute 300 SAUM or 300 RCM if you prefer.) I'd try to get closer to that moose though, or a big bull elk.

I bought an 8mm Rem Mag and I'm kicking around ideas for a wildcat that'll do basically the same thing in a shorter, more efficient cartridge.

My next rifle will probably be a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag for things that don't need the Big 8.

I agree that the 300 WSM fits the bill pretty well with most factory offerings. Here is another option: 300 Sherman with 60.5 grains RL17 at 3040' gives 64.6 lbs./gr. and needs 9.8 moa at 600 yards. I suspect that a 300 SS would be slightly better, but we haven't built one yet.....Rich

I agree that the 300 WSM fits the bill pretty well with most factory offerings. Here is another option: 300 Sherman with 60.5 grains RL17 at 3040' gives 64.6 lbs./gr. and needs 9.8 moa at 600 yards. I suspect that a 300 SS would be slightly better, but we haven't built one yet.....Rich
Rich, which bullet were you using in that .300 Sherman load? I'm still waiting on that reamer and dies to show up to convert my .30-06 AI to a .300 Sherman. :D:D:D

How much is a 3-die set for it?

Rich, which bullet were you using in that .300 Sherman load? I'm still waiting on that reamer and dies to show up to convert my .30-06 AI to a .300 Sherman. :D:D:D

How much is a 3-die set for it?

That was my 190 SXR. You could use a 185-190 Berger and still get 64 lbs./gr. I have the reamer and dies for the 300?

How much 600 yard shooting have you done and how many animals have you taken past 500? 400? 300?

Let reality do its work.......

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.