Most efficient .22 center fire

Correct, I'm seeing very similar barrel life, with several thousand rounds of sub-1/4moa performance when using heavy bullets. The first round hit percentage in the dog town out here on the prairie is much much higher with .22cal bullets in the 75-80gr weight range than the light bullets. A 26" 22BRA running a 75 eldm at 3050fps is ultra mild, and can be shot to the cadence of 30+ rounds per minute before being allowed to cool, with no averse affects to precision, accuracy, or barrel longevity.
But… who cares if you can hit them if they don't EXPLODE?!? LOL
Seriously though I stopped using anything except the most frangible varmint bullets. 90% of the time with match type projectiles they just tip over and drag off, with out any air time, back flips, disemboweling or eviscerations. 53g vmax is the best BC I can find in an explosive varmint projectile, so that's what I use in .224. Using the same criteria I have a 6mm rifle launching 87gr vmax at 3400fps, which gets me aerial acrobatics and explosions out to 700 yards.

But… who cares if you can hit them if they don't EXPLODE?!? LOL
Seriously though I stopped using anything except the most frangible varmint bullets. 90% of the time with match type projectiles they just tip over and drag off, with out any air time, back flips, disemboweling or eviscerations. 53g vmax is the best BC I can find in an explosive varmint projectile, so that's what I use in .224. Using the same criteria I have a 6mm rifle launching 87gr vmax at 3400fps, which gets me aerial acrobatics and explosions out to 700 yards.
75gr ELDM's cause them to explode all over the place... even at lowly .221 fireball velocities.

Suffice it to say at .22BRA, 22 Creed, and 22 PRC Primal velocities... the bits are glorious.

However, I will concede on your point. Nothing can come close to the explosions of goo that a super light weight bullet in a fast twist barrel can produce. The wind just blows too much here to get enough hits with those little bullets.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

You just have to catch them after they've had lunch and a skosh bit to the water line:)

With the price of reloading components these days and the hit or miss availability of said components. What do you think is the most efficient long range .22 cal center fire if you had to consider component costs, brass availability and long range capability. If you had to go with one cartridge what would you choose and why? I was thinking for both target and varmint shooting.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm not sure what I'd choose.
220 swift is my go to !!

With the price of reloading components these days and the hit or miss availability of said components. What do you think is the most efficient long range .22 cal center fire if you had to consider component costs, brass availability and long range capability. If you had to go with one cartridge what would you choose and why? I was thinking for both target and varmint shooting.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm not sure what I'd choose.
I'm straying off of the reservation a bit here. With the exception of fire forming brass, it's hard to beat the 223AI.
Velocities are close to the 22-250 w/ a 50gr bullet and easy to reload and shoots under 1/2" @ 100 yards
I'm getting 3705fps w/50gr BT pills and not a barrel burner. (and not near max pressure)
I don't anything to add if you're wanting to shoot heavies.
My .02cents

it's hard to beat the 223AI.
Velocities are close to the 22-250 w/ a 50gr bullet and easy to reload and shoots under 1/2" @ 100 yards
I'm getting 3705fps w/50gr BT pills and not a barrel burner. (and not near max pressure)

I think perhaps there is something wrong with your chronograph.
The .223AI is a lot of cool things... but it isn't a 50gr bullet at 3705 FPS.

Anyone reading this... if you expect the above to happen if you invest in a .223AI, you can pop right back here to this post when it doesn't work out and remember I told you so.

... or I guess if you like loose primer pockets and throwing your formed brass away after 3-5 firings (if that)... go right ahead.

Go look at what hornady is advertising for their .22ARC. The ARC has as significant speed advantage over the .223AI, and even hornady which has a history of over-marketing their speed claims... the .22 ARC can't even begin to touch the velocity being reported by this user with his .223AI.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

22 GT offers good horsepower for a 22 centerfire and some effeciency. Not a hot rod like the 22 creed and likely better on barrel life like the 6 creed vs 6 GT. Been getting around 2500 rounds on my 6 GT barrels. I take them off at 2500 because I don't want a barrel fail in the middle of a PRS match/season.

I had a handful of 22 creedmoor with 62 gr VT that I figured I shoot instead of pull. I took my son and he shot a boar broadside and a sow hard quartering walking away. Boar dropped instantly and so did the sow. This is the exit from the sow entering behind her shoulder and exiting out her face. I've never seen anything like this before. Both were under 100 yds.

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpeg
    IMG_8514.jpeg
    671.1 KB · Views: 53
Efficient prob can't look much futher than 223 with 22.250/22 creed being a decent 2nd for components (hornady will always support there stuff) 223 made the standard by the government, so it has zero wow (gov can't make anything cool) factor for me. If I want to shoot paper and targets cheap 223 or 308.

Personally 22.250 is my standard 22 caliber in the house, with some other cool ones have to be 220 swift (no ones mentioning that have we all gone new generation?) Not digging just curious, I love the swift.

224 weatherby - that's one you wont find much, but it's a fire cracker.

22 hornet it's just too cool to die!

I guess everyone wants to shoot heavies or ar's - give me a fine bolt gun or a single action ruger 1 and i'll just stick with nostalgia! Interesting read of opinions, my favorites prob do not fit the efficient criteria of the OP, but I have enough loaded ammo for them to last my lifetime, my kids will need to start saving components and ammo when i'm done with them! :)