Efficiency out of 22" barrel

Just skimmed through this thread and IMO, the 06 based offerings are not a very efficient in a short 22" barrel. I would go with a a shorter fatter case, shoot a medium weight bullet with a faster to moderate burning powder.

Someone already mentioned the RCM which IMO is a dandy case. A SAUM would be good to. These cases will burn more efficiently in a shorter barrel and they will give you close to another 1/2" fo real barrel length. The RCM has about 1 gr more case capacity than the 280 AI. Essentially the same capacity and a much more efficient offering for the short barrel. The SAUM will have a little more case capacity than the RCM, but very efficient for a short barrel.

300 RCM
7 RCM
6.5 RCM
7 SAUM
6.5 SAUM
6.5 Creedmoore
260 Rem

These would be my recommendations and all good candidates for RL17 which is a good efficient powder for the shorter case in shorter barrels with excellent velocities. Although the RCM and SAUM are billed as short action cartridges, they should work just fine in a long action. I would put in a flat bottom follower with a centerfeed mag box. That will take care of any feeding issues.

Just skimmed through this thread and IMO, the 06 based offerings are not a very efficient in a short 22" barrel. I would go with a a shorter fatter case, shoot a medium weight bullet with a faster to moderate burning powder.

Someone already mentioned the RCM which IMO is a dandy case. A SAUM would be good to. These cases will burn more efficiently in a shorter barrel and they will give you close to another 1/2" fo real barrel length. The RCM has about 1 gr more case capacity than the 280 AI. Essentially the same capacity and a much more efficient offering for the short barrel. The SAUM will have a little more case capacity than the RCM, but very efficient for a short barrel.

300 RCM
7 RCM
6.5 RCM
7 SAUM
6.5 SAUM
6.5 Creedmoore
260 Rem

These would be my recommendations and all good candidates for RL17 which is a good efficient powder for the shorter case in shorter barrels with excellent velocities. Although the RCM and SAUM are billed as short action cartridges, they should work just fine in a long action. I would put in a flat bottom follower with a centerfeed mag box. That will take care of any feeding issues.

Interesting I too believe that the 140 to 168 grain bullets are all I need.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.