symptoms of a shot out barrel ???

Pete L

I hope someone can help me as i seem to be geting no were,OK I have a nesika 243 AI with a Krieger barrel 1 in 13 twist I use 68 or 70 gr Berger bullets I have put a fair few rounds through this rifle now over the past 2 years but the accuracy has dropped of terrible,as far to say its like a factory rifle using factory ammo,I have done all the useual check seating depths chasing the lands ect I have even had it re crowned,I have had a look with a bore scope and theres heavy fire cracking but the rifling still looks in good order not but not being a gun smith I dont really know what to look for,Personally the rifle gone from banging 10 shots into 1 big raggy hole to not being able to shoot a clover leaf,which this rifle combo should do all day long,Do you think I need a new barrel ?? Also its coppering up really bad and takes a lot of cleaning only after 5 shots

I have had a similar problem and after getting tired of cleaning the rifle my smith set back the barrel a thread and re-chambered it, then fire laped the barrel and now its shooting like a dream again I don't have to clean after a few rounds.

If you have enough barrel shank diameter left I would try to set it back at least an inch. May-be more if the crackling extends further down the bore. If you can't live with a shorter barrel get a new one and start it out 2" longer than you want, so the next time you will have enough to set it back at least once.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts