A barrel that may be shot out?

What is a guy to do with a barrel that is "shot out"?
Kinda painful to throw away a proof research CF barrel.
Be sure. That's the first thing you should do.

Often, people think barrels are shot out, when in actuality they need to be a cleaned properly. Most people are way to gentle when cleaning.

If it's shot out, it's shot out... and you throw it away or throw it in a corner somewhere and chop parts off of it for "projects" later. Barrel steel is often useful.

What cartridge was the barrel in, what load did you run, and what round count are you at?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

We've made Man Cave Decorations by splitting them for the first 10 inches and polishing them up. Trying to remember how many dead phones ago I may have a picture of one on. Never done a carbon but that could be cool, I think I did four and a Rimfire Barrel over the years. But a buddy of mine has a whole display case of all the ways making a barrel can go wrong with window cuts.

My 28 nosler loses tune roughly every 300 rounds and need to adjust seating depth. I also needed to change bullets at one point because it didn't like the bullet anymore. Maybe you have already but if you hand load I would try some different things before rebarreling it.

Let's see some barrel pics....chamber...throat...and and 4-8" in front of chamber...
Let's see if it is fire cracked...and if so how badly it is.....
Maybe it could be rechambered to something useful....maybe not...

Maybe something to gauge by, here's a GW 28 Nosler 180 hybrid coal to lands with about 300-350 rounds on it.

Attachments

• BAFD4D94-AF7F-4DA2-942B-1A9A58D27A79.jpeg
    BAFD4D94-AF7F-4DA2-942B-1A9A58D27A79.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59