Can a barrel be drilled out for a new caliber?

I would suggest saving some money for a while to improve the quality of your build. Right now IMO the best barrel for the money is Rock Creek, the barrel is the heart of your rifle and it's worth saving for a little longer to get a good quality one.
bigngreen, Just read that you are the smith that Elkaholic uses for some of his work. I'm now intrigued by the 6.5/7 Sherman but that is for another thread. Anyway I had a question that I am hoping you might be willing to assist with. I have moved on from the 7mm-08 and am now thinking the 6.5x55 for this build. One of the Sherman loadings could sway me but I think with my skill level I should go with a standard loading first and perhaps do a Sherman in a few years. If I go with the 6.5x55 is there anything you can recommend in terms of twist or length or anything else for that matter?

BnG/Sable, Have either of you any experience with Mark Chanlynn @ Rocky Mtn Rifle Works or his barrels? He has a good rep on another site and was very helpful on the phone but online info is limited.

bigngreen, Just read that you are the smith that Elkaholic uses for some of his work. I'm now intrigued by the 6.5/7 Sherman but that is for another thread. Anyway I had a question that I am hoping you might be willing to assist with. I have moved on from the 7mm-08 and am now thinking the 6.5x55 for this build. One of the Sherman loadings could sway me but I think with my skill level I should go with a standard loading first and perhaps do a Sherman in a few years. If I go with the 6.5x55 is there anything you can recommend in terms of twist or length or anything else for that matter?

BnG/Sable, Have either of you any experience with Mark Chanlynn @ Rocky Mtn Rifle Works or his barrels? He has a good rep on another site and was very helpful on the phone but online info is limited.

If your hesitant about your reloading skills then I would say you have to weight the option of a wildcat vs a standard loading, I have some of both and like them for different reasons. I would not hesitate for a second on Mark!!

Re: Help me with a new build

So I picked up a Savage 110 30-06 w/accu-trigger yesterday. Not the SA Howa 1500 I was looking for but for the $300 I paid I am very happy. Of course there is a near new Weatherby 270 for auction right now and the current bid is $205 with only 7 bidders and 4hrs left so that might end up going for $300 or less too. Anyway, I'm now on to the final gunsmith cuts, leaning towards Mark Chanlynn @Rocky Mtn Rifle Works but waiting on a call back from G.A. Precision, and determining what caliber to go with. I was going to build a 7-08 but since I now have a LA to work with I'm debating between a 6.5x55 and a .280 with the .270 in the mix but leaning towards the Swede. I kept the 7-08 in the comparison only because it was my initial choice.

you bought a savage?

no need for a gunsmith then

there are plenty of vendors with drop in barrels for savages. It is a simple task to change out the barrel yourself.

If your hesitant about your reloading skills then I would say you have to weight the option of a wildcat vs a standard loading, I have some of both and like them for different reasons. I would not hesitate for a second on Mark!!
Thank you. That is good to hear about Mark. He is within 30 minutes of my office, was very helpful on the phone and his prices seemed good. He is the one that suggested I look at the 6.5x55, as well as a few others, based on what I am wanting to do.

jb1023,

Mark Chanlynn @ Rocky Mtn Rifle Works
I have not used any of his barrels but I know he is a stand up, conscientious barrel and rifle maker. His reputation is beyond reproach.

As to the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, is a superb yet practical cartridge which is easy to learn to load for and has a fine reputation for accuracy. Components are readily available and the bullet selection is huge. Great cartridge for either hunting or target shooting.

If you should want to try a simple wildcat this case can be improved to something along the lines of the 6.5 x 55 BJAI:

6.5x55 BJAI Photo by wkinderknecht | Photobucket

This was Bob Jourdan's version of the Ackley Improved 6.5 x 55 cartridge.

Here is the print from PTG:

65x55SwedMauserAckImpFinisher_zps231a0ff8.jpg

Be aware that this cartridge can be found with two different rim sizes; 0.480" and 0.473". I know it doesn't sound like much but it can make a difference with your bolt face.

There are also two different standards for operating pressure based on the M94/M96 Swedish Mausers and modern bolt action rifles. The M94 loads run in the lower 50,000 PSI while the modern bolt pressures can exceed that.

Have fun with this project!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts