most efficient magnum rifle cartrige ?

How much 600 yard shooting have you done and how many animals have you taken past 500? 400? 300?

Let reality do its work.......

Good point. The thing is most guys comtiplating a custom build are looking at future needs. You have to get out in front of the curve with things like this as you just can't go to Wally's and pick something like this up the week you need it.

How much 600 yard shooting have you done and how many animals have you taken past 500? 400? 300?

Let reality do its work.......
There is alot of people that have not taken a 500 yard shot until they they decided to do so. Having the proper equipment capabilities is the first start....I have never taken a shot past 375yrds at a animal so far. But I was hitting the 1025 yards plate at Rayners range with 30-06 and 300 Weatherby... I'm ordering a 338 Lapua for the mile plate at Thunder valley. Not because I need it....because I want it....

When I read through all of the above posts, I think several have digressed from the op's question. He wanted Magnum, Efficiency, and Flat shooting out to 600 yards. Some 12 gauge slugs will probably make 70 ft lbs./grain but not be useful here. I think a lot of rounds will produce 2 of the 3 things mentioned, but not all 3 at the highest level.....Rich

So when I made my post I was a bit tongue in cheek. But the op did not ask for the most economical cartridge, he asked for the most efficient 600 yard north American big game hunting cartridge in a magnum. I stand by my choice. You can't get better big game performance than the 375 Lap Imp with a 400g high bc pill and still be able to carry the thing around. I thought it was good food for thought. My apology for the hijack.

Steve

Give a guy a rope and he wants to be a cowboy.....

How many "moose" opportunities were "missed" because a fella didnt have a "gun" with "knockdown power to 600 yards"

Best answer to these types of questions is to invest more money in boots.

So when I made my post I was a bit tongue in cheek. But the op did not ask for the most economical cartridge, he asked for the most efficient 600 yard north American big game hunting cartridge in a magnum. I stand by my choice. You can't get better big game performance than the 375 Lap Imp with a 400g high bc pill and still be able to carry the thing around. I thought it was good food for thought. My apology for the hijack.

Steve

Wasn't necessarily questioning YOUR choice Steve......Rich

Give a guy a rope and he wants to be a cowboy.....

How many "moose" opportunities were "missed" because a fella didnt have a "gun" with "knockdown power to 600 yards"

Best answer to these types of questions is to invest more money in boots.

too funny!!!

My last mule deer buck was shot through the neck at 480 yards, and that was a rather close shot for me as I hunt public land and some idiot has usually stirred the pot a few times and ****ed off the deer good. I'm sure most of the others here have very good reasons for taking very long shots.

As others have said though, this is a long range forum, so because I want to and have the skills to is a good enough answer and looking down your nose at the O.P. and questioning ethics is contrary to forum rules.

Answering the question how many and how far . I grew up in west Texas on my family's
ranch and was shooting beyond 300 yards at 13 years old
My farther was a great instructor. The farthest kill I have made was stepped off at 765 yards this was before I or anyone in our area ever heard of a range finder so it was probably less than that . It was a well placed shot from a 300 H&H . Those shots were frowned on back then . As far as how many ? Who knows I haven't counted but anything less than 300 yards is no longer fun (just plinking cans and anyone can do that ) . Now ex military with plenty of experience I have nothing to prove to anyone. I could say I have made 2000 yard shots and who would know other than me ? I know where I live there are a ton of guys packing 300 Rum's claiming to be able to shoot 700 yards or better but when put to the test here in my back yard range with a solid bench they can't shoot 2,3 or 400 yards . All of this said I just wanted a opinions on the most efficient magnum cartridge. Thanks for all the input Men . Happy hunting to all this season and may God fill all your tags with trophies of a lifetime.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.