6.5 - 2900 ft/s most efficiently?

wapitiaddict

What 6.5 cartridge will comfortabily shoot, with multiple powders (not just RL 26 because that is hard to find these days), a 140-143 gr bullet, from a 24 inch barrel, at 2900 to 3000 ft/sec the most efficiently...meaning the least amount of powder (least amount of recoil)? And preferrably without having to run super hot loads the whole time. Maybe a quickload question?

I'm going to build a 6.5 rifle and the 2900 ft/sec mark is what I want to achieve in a 24 inch barrel, and want to use the least amount of powder to get there.

Options I'm currently looking at are 6.5-284, 260ai (maybe stretching it with just a 24 inch barrel), 6.5-06, etc. I don't care to go over 3000ft/ sec so options like 264 win mag are probably out.

Ill take a look at the PRC.
I just got looking at some Nosler load data of the 6.5 rem mag (seems to be an unpopular cartridge). It seems to get some surprising velocities for mid 50s powder charges. Seems to be similar to the 6.5-284 but with just a tad more velocity. Any thoughts?

Can you use any bolt face or do you have some of the parts purchased already?

Can you use any bolt face or do you have some of the parts purchased already?

I'm starting from scratch....

Edit: Having said that, I don't want to get super crazy into the wildcats that require multi-step brass forming. A one step resize or fire forming is fine. But I don't want to have to spend a lot of time forming complicated brass.

Last edited:
I got over 2900 FPS quickly in my completely stock 6.5 284 Nosler Patriot using reloader 22 and 140 grain Berger VLDs.

Ill take a look at the PRC.
I just got looking at some Nosler load data of the 6.5 rem mag (seems to be an unpopular cartridge). It seems to get some surprising velocities for mid 50s powder charges. Seems to be similar to the 6.5-284 but with just a tad more velocity. Any thoughts?

I think the 6.5 Rem Mag is pretty much dead. Looks like Remington doesn't even chamber a rifle for it now. It was kinda plagued by some of the same issues as the 264 Win Mag. One of them was twist. The SAAMI twist for the 6.5 rem mag was only a 9 twist so it wasn't a good match for the 140 gr bullets that became so popular.
Would probably make a great custom though with a 8 twist but I think brass would be hard to find (reliably anyways). These days there are just better choices like 6.5x284 with Lapua brass.

That sounds like a 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Sherman short magnum or 6.5 PRC or 6.5 WSM if you want a short action. 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 sherman for the long. I'd go with the 6.5 SAUM or PRC if it was me.

Go to 6.5 Sherman Short or SST. See Sherman wildcat cartridges and don't look back. The Sherma short and Short tac has brass avalible and good brass to boot !! I shoot a Sherman LA 6.5 at 3250 with 140vld his SST would be right up your alley again with good brass.

What 6.5 cartridge will comfortabily shoot, with multiple powders (not just RL 26 because that is hard to find these days), a 140-143 gr bullet, from a 24 inch barrel, at 2900 to 3000 ft/sec the most efficiently...meaning the least amount of powder (least amount of recoil)? And preferrably without having to run super hot loads the whole time. Maybe a quickload question?

I'm going to build a 6.5 rifle and the 2900 ft/sec mark is what I want to achieve in a 24 inch barrel, and want to use the least amount of powder to get there.

Options I'm currently looking at are 6.5-284, 260ai (maybe stretching it with just a 24 inch barrel), 6.5-06, etc. I don't care to go over 3000ft/ sec so options like 264 win mag are probably out.
Decide what action you would prefer then pick from a 6.5-284, a 6.5-06, or a 6.5 PRC.

If you let me decide, I would choose a Surgeon WSM action and a 6.5 PRC cartridge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.