Most efficient .22 center fire

He didn't say what he considers long range but he did say efficient.

Just figured being a .224 caliber he wasn't talking more than 300 to 500 yards.

The 222 Rem is very efficient and accurate at that range.

Then would not the .221 FB also run into this, only moreso? It has been mentioned as an option more than once, yet the triple deuce was not at all. I think that it should be considered.

And then set it aside for the .223 because of it's many advantages even if it lacks the legacy track record of "inherent accuracy" of the triple deuce.

FWIW I tend to assign different yardages as "Long Range" depending on the particular chamber. "Long Range" to a .30-30 is not the same distance as "long range" to a .338 Lapua.

He didn't say what he considers long range but he did say efficient.

Just figured being a .224 caliber he wasn't talking more than 300 to 500 yards.

The 222 Rem is very efficient and accurate at that range.
Understood, but many of us use 224's to 1k and even well beyond. To many, LR and ELR have different meanings, but some of us use the old NRA standards or even the 1/4 mile rule, SR, MR, LR, ELR.

Then would not the .221 FB also run into this, only moreso? It has been mentioned as an option more than once, yet the triple deuce was not at all. I think that it should be considered.

And then set it aside for the .223 because of it's many advantages even if it lacks the legacy track record of "inherent accuracy" of the triple deuce.

FWIW I tend to assign different yardages as "Long Range" depending on the particular chamber. "Long Range" to a .30-30 is not the same distance as "long range" to a .338 Lapua.
Read post #10

Understood, but many of us use 224's to 1k and even well beyond. To many, LR and ELR have different meanings, but some of us use the old NRA standards or even the 1/4 mile rule, SR, MR, LR, ELR.
That is long range but when you want to get to that range I don't think about efficiency.

Read post #10
Sorry, I missed that post, and I thought that I'd carefully read the whole thread.

Seems to me that while there are other possibles, that there is a consensus that the .223 is the best choice when all of the constraints are considered. There are and will always be specific chambers that do part of this, or any other set of constraints better, but none of them do all of these things better.

I have a 6 ARC and can't wait to get the funds to buy a 22 ARC. Also just got a CZ in .223 with a 7 twist to launch those larger pills.

The ole' .22-250 Remington ( called the .22 Varminter before, that ) Reigned Supreme for, 50+ Years and can be, re-Loaded down to, .223 rem. Velocities ( with H-4895 ) and, up to almost, .220 Swift, velocities !
Today ,. I'd go with, the .22 Creedmoor to, replace, my old .22 Varminter, Gal, with probably, a 1-8 or, 1-9 Twist Barrel.
The .22 Creedmoor is like, a .22-250 Ai Speed, wise .

Last edited:
With the price of reloading components these days and the hit or miss availability of said components. What do you think is the most efficient long range .22 cal center fire if you had to consider component costs, brass availability and long range capability. If you had to go with one cartridge what would you choose and why? I was thinking for both target and varmint shooting.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm not sure what I'd choose.

What do you consider long range?

Last edited:
With the price of reloading components these days and the hit or miss availability of said components. What do you think is the most efficient long range .22 cal center fire if you had to consider component costs, brass availability and long range capability. If you had to go with one cartridge what would you choose and why? I was thinking for both target and varmint shooting.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm not sure what I'd choose.
.22 BRA, without question.

Nothing else is even close as a well rounded efficient cartridge with the widest range of use cases and capabilities.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The reason I asked is that I have three kids and a high volume cheap to shoot rifle that is still fun for me is probably in order. A properly chambered .223AI sounds like it could fit the bill. A little more punch but could press the easy button and just buy factory ammo. A bit easier on powder and barrels too.

I enjoy working up loads in rifles and reloading so that's part of the appeal of different calibers.

I like to get many different perspectives as there are often things I haven't thought about.
I honestly don't think there is an option out there that can touch the 223 for your use. The AI sounds right up your alley, the only added cost being another set of dies, but gives you a lot more fun, and options to tinker with (as well as making your brass more durable!)

The real key for you will be building a longer (.060" works great for me!) freebore and using a standard short action with bdl or even better an AICS mag setup.

I have four dependents (all happen to be grown *** men though!) that I load a thousand rounds each a summer for. I do the brass sizing as a separate step, then load giant piles of sub quarter (upper .1xx" to lower .2xx" groups are standard) on my Dillon progressive (RL550 is what I have, but I bet any progress would do the same)

The 223AI is wonderfully efficient and economical… CFE223 has been available almost continuously, and starline sells 1,000 packs of brass with availability about every month or two. For varmints I've used 53g varmageddon, 55g nosler balistic tip seconds, and 53g vmax. All work wonderfully, with lots of great explosive performance out to 500 yards. For target loads I've used 77g Hornady, 70 RDF, and 80g ELD. I'd not recommend the RDF due to finicky tuning, but any target projectile you like will probably work fine.

I've tried 9, 8 and 7 twist barrels, and settled on 8 twist as the best compromise. Still does well with the lighter 53's, and stabilizes up to 80's at least.

HbN coating the projectiles in large batches upped my barrel life from 3k to 4k rounds, which also helps a TON on the economy.

My 80g ELD load is fun for me or anyone, 3100fps MV means it doesn't hit transonic until about 1400 yards!

Recent Posts