Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

1300m. Interesting. What was it on, rifle, caliber, bullet, scope, moa, rangefinder, BC, Conditions, ballistic program, planned, practice, bipod/sandbag etc, ?

Thanks

To Augustus or anyone else in doubt of long shots.
I'm not here to argue about shooting at targets or animals or the distance the kills have been made. I'm just stating facts as to what my hunting buddies and I have done in past years. If you cant comprehend the consept of how we do it, I simply don't know what to tell you

First of all to familarize you with our equipment and the shots in question.
The elk kill I made was at 2100 yards not 2980. The 2980 kill was actually 2690 and done by a friend of mine at Williamsport 1000 yd benchrest club. I was not with them at that time.

My equipment/rifle is a 338/416 Rigby Improved with a 36 1/2" barrel that sends a 300 gr bullet out the end of the barrel at 3310 FPS. It has a heavy walnut laminated stock and is bench mounted when fired and weighs 60 lbs. It has a custom "Hall" G action topped off with a Bausch and Lomb Balvar 24 scope with Kuharsky rear base giving me 500 1/4MOA clicks. Plenty of clicks to reach 3000 yards if someone can spot the shot at that distance. As you may have guessed, we are prety much stationary all day as our setup is quite heavy.
My rangefinder is a miltary Russian that reads to 10 miles give or take 5 meters. My hunting partners all have excellent optices to spot the shot before the kill is made. My drops are all figured by the Oehler Ballistics program and I find it to be very accurate
The energy of the 300 gr bullet retains plenty of energy to kill at distances most people cant comprehend if they never reached out that far or used this type of equipment..

In Colorado and out of a least a dozen elk the "average" distance for the kills was 1350 Yards. The longest being 2100 the shortest being 500 yards with a 7mm sporter on that one.
In Colorado I did kill a buck in his bed at 1500 yards, one at 1340 yards and two at 1050 yards.
I was able to kill two woodchucks at 1500 yards on the same day in PA and I was told I got one at 2200 yards in Virginia hunting with an ex military sniper named Vern Harrison. He called a hit but it was late in the evening and we didn't go and check to see if the chuck was at his hole.
With all the ballistic program information and with plenty of trigger time and good spotters watching your shots and seeing the vapor trail of the bullet going to the target, extreme longrange shots can be made even if you don't think it can be done. There was also a 1700 yard deer kill in Mansfield PA.
At 72 My eyesight is starting to fail but I'm still shooting 1000 yard silluette matches and having a great time doing so. I have excellent spotters there too.
Check and see what the military sniper teams are doing with their equipment and the long shots they are making on humans. Keep in mind also that that human target is a 6' tall target and not a 24" kill zone of an elk.
Thanks for your interest in LR hunting.

Sir since you specifically addressed me I think I should inform you that you are not addressing an inexperienced shooter. I am amused at the assumptions made by you and others that anyone that has reservations about shooting living things at ELR must somehow be devoid of skill or equipment. I am in possession of rifles and projectiles that match or exceed those you mentioned. These systems are used almost daily and I have become quite proficient in their use. I also possess a very good rangefinder made by Vectronics. Just this afternoon I made a first Rd hit on a 10 in disk at 1770 yds followed by two more inside the disk. Group measured 8.25 inches center to center. I still choose not to shoot at living things at these distances.

It's a big world, if you want to shoot living things at Extreme ranges go ahead I see it as a personal choice. The thread was started discussing a 2980 yd kill, I don't know how far is too far but shooting at game at that distance is past what I am willing to be a part of. As stated before if you want to try it, go for it.

Sir since you specifically addressed me I think I should inform you that you are not addressing an inexperienced shooter. I am amused at the assumptions made by you and others that anyone that has reservations about shooting living things at ELR must somehow be devoid of skill or equipment. I am in possession of rifles and projectiles that match or exceed those you mentioned. These systems are used almost daily and I have become quite proficient in their use. I also possess a very good rangefinder made by Vectronics. Just this afternoon I made a first Rd hit on a 10 in disk at 1770 yds followed by two more inside the disk. Group measured 8.25 inches center to center. I still choose not to shoot at living things at these distances.

It's a big world, if you want to shoot living things at Extreme ranges go ahead I see it as a personal choice. The thread was started discussing a 2980 yd kill, I don't know how far is too far but shooting at game at that distance is past what I am willing to be a part of. As stated before if you want to try it, go for it.
This site is "Longrangehunting.com".

This forum is "Extreme Long Range Hunting and Shooting."

This thread is "Longest shot +1,500yd Hunting."

If you find the subject matter distasteful feel free to excuse yourself from the topic and forum.

Don't come here to **** on the works of others.

Of course you could just always sit back, relax, read along and maybe learn something as most of us do.

+1 Wild Rose.
Not sure why someone would bother posting in this thread if they are not into this sort of shooting. They are just being a pain in the arse to those that are interested.

My longest shot on deer is 1426 yards so not quite 1500. That was with a .338 calibre rifle and I think that is just about as far as I would like to shoot with a .338.
However if I pick up a .416 in the near future, then those deer at 1500 yards had better watch out..................:D

+1 Wild Rose.
Not sure why someone would bother posting in this thread if they are not into this sort of shooting. They are just being a pain in the arse to those that are interested.

My longest shot on deer is 1426 yards so not quite 1500. That was with a .338 calibre rifle and I think that is just about as far as I would like to shoot with a .338.
However if I pick up a .416 in the near future, then those deer at 1500 yards had better watch out..................:D
Well I'm not in the 1,500yds plus club myself either.

I've got a handful of successful cold bore kills out to 1,320M (in my previous profession) and I've stretched the 7mm STW out as far as 1,230 so mostly I just sit back and read here.

Once you move beyond 1,000 it's a much bigger jump than going from 600-1000, and 1,500+ is just realistically beyond what my equipment is made for nor do I have adequate places to practice for it.

no doubt as improvments in equiptment, components and cartridges come along the longer shots will become more common.
but its also obvious by reading these post most of us arent there yet.
many of us will never be there as its not high on our priority list.
my concern is and has always been the crippeling of animals.
all that need be said has been said regarding that issue. so no need to rehash that.
there is no doubt some of us are better shots than others and more practice
wont always change that.
their is also no doubt certain types of equiptment can make some of us better shots. also no doubt their is equiptment that makes longer shots more probable.
but what we hear about for the most part is the gun, the rangefinder and shooter ability.
i fully realize that eastern hunters face different circumstances and conditions
than do western hunters.
but 1500 is still 1500 and i personaly feel different setups are a requirment.
are any questions going to be asked of darryl as to his setup and equiptment other than the gun and rangfinder?
i happen to think there are others who have tried and failed on these type shots.
why wouldnt they be anxious to find what he did differently?

The rifle was 7mm r.m with huskamaw lrh.elev. 4.754 temp 59.0 target was steel 20" disk rangefinder swarovski, bullet 168 gr Berger my scope is in 1/3 moa figured to 75.2 moa of drop wind was 10 mph @45degree's target angles 90 wind figured 9 plus moa . Just for the record I would never shoot this range with this settup on animals onl has about 380 ft pounds energy. Good shooting good hunting

Oh, I have kept up with the sniper teams, multiple spotting shots seem to be common in cases of Extreme range. Mcmillian attempted to reproduce the results of one sniper team at around 2400 yds. They were using their 50 BMG, they shot until they gave out and never identified the location of the impact. This was in a desert with impact areas that should have been very good for spotting splashes. I don't know why they would have shown this video to the world but it did show how difficult ELR can be even for folks in the business.

It was 7rm huskamaw scope elev. 4845 temp. 59 deg. 168 gr Berger 3.025 m.v my notes show 75.2 moa. Drop( huskamaw has 1/3 moa adj.'9.4 moa wind steel ram

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.