Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

So all these long range unethical shots should be camp fire discussions and not forum talk:cool:

Really,... Really!!! in one of your other posts you were thanking the people here on LONG RANGE HUNTING for helping you out.

Now at only post # 3, and only 3 months into your membership here on LONG RANGE HUNTING you play the "E" card and pretty much tell Len his forum should not exist and the sport of Long Range Hunnitg should not be discussed in public.

May I so kindly ask, why do you feel with your admitted lack of experience and ability of long range shooting, you feel you can set limits and tell others what their moral choices should be?

Thank You

Jeff

I agree with augustas,My limitations are 400 yds,Even then i have to think about it.Hope he dosen't step forward as i pull the trigger,producing a gut shot.True hunters limit thier range where a clean kill can be made,WE have so many waiting for a foot hold to ban hunting,Even in Canada,So all these long range unethical shots should be camp fire discussions and not forum talk:cool:
If you wish to lecture people about the ethics of long range hunting you need to find another site where such discussion is welcome.

That subject is verboten here.

This has been a pretty good thread with just a few hiccup's. Sure hope it gets back on track. Now here's my opinion on ELR. :D I think that bullets and the caliber used are the determining factors on extreme hunting distance's for a seasoned long ranger... period!

I read this forum daily, its my newspaper so to speak. In the 3 years or so that I have been here, the technology has grown in leaps and bounds. Rangefinders, bullets, powders, ballistic programs, etc. All of these new advances add up to one thing. We can shoot further, faster much more efficiently.

I love the 338 Lapua, it was my 2nd custom build. As I learned this longrange game I soon felt a need for more speed. I re-barreled my 338LM to a 338LAI. It clearly beat my old 338LM and did so with authority!

Now, Shawn Carlock & Kirby Allen have come up with a couple of new cartridges and rifles. Kirby's 338 Raptor should push a 300gn Berger 3200fps +. Shawns awesome LRKM is also stretching things way out there. Wish I had one these rifles but its not in my future right now.

I for one can't wait for the up coming hunting season. I think we are going to see some 1500+ yard kills this year and Folks....I think were going to see it right here on LRH. Can't wait! Good luck to you guys/gals that can Git-R-Done.gun)

Really,... Really!!! in one of your other posts you were thanking the people here on LONG RANGE HUNTING for helping you out.

Now at only post # 3, and only 3 months into your membership here on LONG RANGE HUNTING you play the "E" card and pretty much tell Len his forum should not exist and the sport of Long Range Hunnitg should not be discussed in public.

May I so kindly ask, why do you feel with your admitted lack of experience and ability of long range shooting, you feel you can set limits and tell others what their moral choices should be?

Thank You

Jeff

+1

And longrangefreak said it as well. If 400 yds is a long shot to you, moosemeat, then there is a whole lot of reading and understanding that needs to done here over a long period of time before making a post like that, especially in this particular ELR formum.

SHRTSHTR,

Good points and the new rifles and what can be done are amazing. I ve been working with two 375s based on 408 ct cases but Kirby is building me a 338/408 ct and I ve stared a project on a 416/ african 585 case and it will be interesting to see how these shoot in ELR.

Just read through all the posts. I have to say that the number of people judging others, based on their own limitations is concerning to me. Would I take a shot at ELR?? No Way!, why? I'm not there yet. Do I hope to at some point? you bet. I look at ELR like any other advancement in human history, only by pushing the envelope, can we improve. I'm no real LR shooter right now, I just got back into shooting. I come to this sight because I know that whatever the big dogs are doing at long range, I can translate into my more modest shooting distances. Without their experience doing at the extremes, some of the more refined techniques I'm learning wouldn't exist. So here's a big thanks to those willing to push the envelope so the rest of can learn, and, some day, hopefully follow in your footsteps

Ethics in hunting is an intimately personal decision, and when I hear people saying LR and ELR shouldn't even be discussed publicly, I get discouraged. Being a teacher, I'm a firm believer that more knowledge is always better, and that is what is provided here, even if some people find it controversial.

jeez, I swore to myself I wouldn't post in the ELR forum, and this topic made me break that promise

I don't think that +1500 yard kills on big game will ever be common. But some of the technology that I saw last week made me change my mind about just how common it may become.
This cartridge is going to be a game changer for ELR hunting. Match grade brass prepped by experts.
The accuracy and long range ballistic performance of this round leaves any .338 for dead.

bmt26.jpg

To shot, do you have the numbers, distance, velocity, BC, size of groups etc.

Bullet weight 450 grains.
Velocity 3100 fps
G7 B.C. .43
Real life accuracy about 1/2 moa up close and a bit more out wide.
I saw a few very small groups on steel gongs at 1093 yards and 1385 yards. but the boys were not actually shooting groups as such.

Bullet weight 450 grains.
Velocity 3100 fps
G7 B.C. .43
Real life accuracy about 1/2 moa up close and a bit more out wide.
I saw a few very small groups on steel gongs at 1093 yards and 1385 yards. but the boys were not actually shooting groups as such.

That will sure retain some good velocity and energy. It will be interesting to see if it will hold the accuracy as they stretch it out past 2000 yards. I am sure that the technology is going to get them there , but so far, from what I have shot with in the field, I have not seen the bigger calibers out preform the .338. That is as far as small groups are concerned at a mile plus. I am a huge fan of the heaviest bullet you can send through a rifle. So, I wil be watching these big calibers. Just not ready to add one to my line up yet.

Jeff

Topshot. Sounds very Interesting! Can you tell us more about the cartridge, rifle and bullet?

Topshot. Sounds very Interesting! Can you tell us more about the cartridge, rifle and bullet?

The cartridge started out initially as a .50 BMG necked down, but brass was not of high enough consistency to deliver the accuracy needed. So BMT in Australia went into a joint venture with McMillan rifles in the USA to solve the problem.

McMillan make the rifles and BMT make the brass to match the McMillan chamber dimensions. The brass comes with the correct head stamp of both companies.
BMT - MFM - 416

The brass is made to equal or better Lapua brass quality alloy. Tolerances are kept to a minimum and then the brass is match prepped. The primer pockets and flash holes are uniformed and each brass case is individually lathe turned on the inside of the necks to maintain proper neck to chamber relationship and correct clearance.

The inside of the necks are then polished and treated with a release agent to ensure consistent bullet release.

BMT has a full ballistic lab and they load this brass with 450gn Rocky Mountain Bullets to a load that has been measured to provide a low ES, good velocity and soft recoil characteristics. Ammo is to be loaded in the USA and brass will be available from what I understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.