new world's record for longest shot?

MBird

A French Office and his team trained for 2 years to shoot 2.28 miles and hit a target
That is all it said. What size of target? Do you just put a target out there and hit it once
And have a world's record?

Any one have more information on this?

While I can readily applaud anyone who can hit any target at those distances, I do have a problem with the label of 'world record'. Until there is some kind of standardization for these types of shots, a new world record claim remains dubious. For example: What size was the target? the size of a man, the size of an elephant, the broad side of a barn? Under what conditions was the shot taken? Was it a single, cold bore shot or was it one hit in 20 attempts? Until things become standardized, the significance of the accomplishment will continue to be diminished in my own mind.

Agree.

While I can readily applaud anyone who can hit any target at those distances, I do have a problem with the label of 'world record'. Until there is some kind of standardization for these types of shots, a new world record claim remains dubious. For example: What size was the target? the size of a man, the size of an elephant, the broad side of a barn? Under what conditions was the shot taken? Was it a single, cold bore shot or was it one hit in 20 attempts? Until things become standardized, the significance of the accomplishment will continue to be diminished in my own mind.

Any time you read about a "record" of any variety, use the check list the azsugarbear offered and turn the page. Just to feed your curiosity, by my rough calcs a 250 grain bullet would have to leave the muzzle at 4000 fps to remain above sub sonic speeds for half the distance claimed in your question. By the time a .30 cal. bullet, fired at 4000 fps, reached that distance of 2.28 miles it would be somewhere around .50 Mach and had traveled an arc height in the neighborhood of 1000 feet.:rolleyes:

+1 Well said !!!!!!

Do I hear an A-Men ?

J E CUSTOM

I'm so torn here.... As a world record, I whole-heartedly agree that they need to be standardized. Without that it's impossible to hold a "record". As just plain cool factor and tons of fun, bang away and good luck!

3695 meters is 4041 yards. Wow!

I think the quote from the French soldier is accurate and appropriate. It isn't a single shooter effort, but a team effort.
French soldier broke long distance shooting record - Business Insider

Note, that he was able to hit a target at 2.11 miles 4 out of 7 times. Replication of results, even at a shorter range, is much more impressive to me.

3695 meters is 4041 yards. Wow!

I think the quote from the French soldier is accurate and appropriate. It isn't a single shooter effort, but a team effort.
French soldier broke long distance shooting record - Business Insider

Note, that he was able to hit a target at 2.11 miles 4 out of 7 times. Replication of results, even at a shorter range, is much more impressive to me.

The 4 in 7 was at a shorter distance - same link,

"During that month of training, the team managed to hit a target of 1.84 miles (2960 meters) in four out of seven attempted shots."

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of seeing the headline and watching a video with x amount lead flung down range until it hits what you want. I'm I saying not to shoot long distances; no, have at it but I wish the claim to fame would stop until some parameters are setup and enforced before you can label it "world record".

I think equipment used should be a parts of it too. Seems to me if you want to go the furthest just build the biggest shoulder fired gun you can. Then it becomes the equipment that holds the record

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.