New World Record Target shot (3720 yards)

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by ControlledAnger, May 30, 2015.

1. ControlledAnger

ControlledAnger Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2018
  2. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

Certainly a great accomplishment. But I am curious about all these new distance shooting records. Is there any standardized format for doing this, such as the size of the target; counting then first round hit only; unlimited number of shots fired before finally hitting target? Is distance the only variable measured when claiming a new "record"?

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Agreed! Sure love old (respectfully of course) JM having too much fun though ...

and

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2018
  4. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Distance is the only variable that seems to matter, he even said in the video that he only needs to get a hit.

5. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

Lobbing rounds at a target until you hit the backer board is now a "world record"?

6. ELR Researcher

ELR Researcher Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a formal process to determine unlimited range capability, please consider URSA - www.unlimitedrange.com No results are published that do not meet the requirement of X hits in 10 shots. The target is 37" in diameter and does not change from the minimum distance we shoot at (2000 yards) to the max distance shooters can reach and still have 4 hits in 10 shots (the requirement to qualify to move beyond 2000 yards). See the Operations page for more details. Even qualification for the first round of record (event) shooting is 3 hits in 10 shots.

We have two events coming next Sunday (June 7th) - one in northern California (NorCal 2) and one in southern California (SoCal 2). See our Activity/Event Schedule page.

We expect to be announcing an event in the East-Central Region in the near future (it will be in Virginia).

7. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Well-Known Member

Nice solid cheek weld. That's a long shot, the Cheytac seems like a wicked rifle.

8. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

Meaning no disrespect to Jerry Miculek, but even though the shot is certainly centered on target and nicely placed within the steel plate,that Barrett 50 shot looked to me like it printed low and bullet fragments eliminated the balloon.
    Just my opinion based on what I see there ...
    That said, the fact that he put one on the steel at that distance with an off hand shot using that firearm is indeed an outstanding accomplishment. But then every shot I've ever seen him take has been outstanding.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Yep, and does it with so much fun.

10. TXAoudadKlr

TXAoudadKlr Well-Known Member

Had either of those two shots in those video's been performed by anyone else besides JM I'd call BS!

Yeah what gives, put enough bullets in the air you're bound to hit something and then it gets called a WR WTH.

11. mountainman56

mountainman56 Well-Known Member

Dang Jerry...........making my long range bench rest shots seem insignificant. :rolleyes: Absolutely incredible!

12. machiavelli

machiavelli Well-Known Member

The longest shot only really counts when the target is shooting back!

13. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

yep, we are still at 2474 meters in my eyes...

gotta take the wiggle out or put up a group.....

14. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

The get my respect for effort. Dunno about world record, but the guys that invest in these efforts help inform about potential for extreme long range rifle accuracy, and also help to advance accuracy-minded equipment. The video is titled new long range shooting record. I didn't hear any claim of world record on the video. Longe range shooting record could also imply nothing more than a personal best. I take it as some guys testing their expensive rifle equipment at two + miles.