Benchrest shooter posts stunning 1.068” group at 1000 yards – new world record

shooting a 6br based round brings the cost of shooting 600/1000 way down.
bbls last 2x that of a 300 win mag
bullet cast less, use less powder, brass lasts longer
easy to shoot one rifle in both classes
and they do not beat you up.

Several years ago I had a close call, my first 4 shots went into a 1.08", shanked the last one to turn it a 4.2XX". One of the few places that had pits, so they watched the group form. Anybody that shoots long enough has similar stories.

As a youngster in Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood Misery (Feb. '63) I wanted to make Expert with my Garand. I was well on my way until the last 8-shot string. Made the first target at 300m, then blew the last 7, probably looking over the sights at the targets. Missed Expert by 2.
Fast forward 50 years to my first CCW class: The instructor wanted an idea of how we could shoot. He told us to load 6 rounds and hit from 10 feet slow-fire a quarter-sized dot he'd made with a marker pen on our targets. My first 5 shots were within the dot, one ragged hole from my .45ACP Officers Model. My sixth shot was 2" away.
Buck fever. I get too excited!

What an achievement and in NC as well! Congrats that's got to feel incredible

you want to hear the bad news ?
the 6br class of cartridges is shooting so well at long range,
that i doubt it will stand very long.
the 600 yard record is ..........
5 shots...0.311

That is one tall achievement for a BR shooter, or any shooter.....

I have had several 6mm guns and they all shot well. The most amazing was the 240 Laser, built to shoot the 115 Berger VLDs to 1,000.
Ed

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/benchrest-shooter-1000-yard-group/

Wilson's world record-setting 5-shot group measured 1.068 inches or, in angular terms, a stunning 0.102 minutes of angle (MOA). He even managed to land all five rounds in the center X-ring for a perfect score. (The previous 5-shot, light gun IBS record, set in 2007, measured 1.397 inches.)

Regardless of the conditions, Wilson joked, a one-inch group at 1,000 yards likely requires some divine intervention.

Wilson-2.jpg
Simply WOW !

I can't begin to say how many groups I've blown because I got excited on the last shot. That's when I was younger and had only seen my mentor/Uncle shoot really small groups. I finally bought a Ruger 77V, in .243. After playing with a few loads I finally hit paydirt and started shooting .5" groups as a matter of routine. Not too many blown groups since then! Then a Win. Model 70 in 270 that loves to punch those little groups. Then on to a .22 CheetaH, which got me into the .250 groups, at least until I shot the barrel out. Right now I'm working with a Rem. 700 in .308, with a custom barrel with a slow twist, for those lighter .30 cal bullets, which generally shoots somewhere between .250 & .5" pretty regularly. I've never had the option to shoot really long range stuff but it's on the bucket list. Shooting a near to 1" group at 1000 seems impossible but I can only wonder how long this one will stand... and after that, the .750, the .5. Where will it end? Wonderful stuff, for sure!
Cheers,
crkckr

here is a titbit for 308 lite bullets.
small group from one of my 308's is a 0.116" at 100
1/15 twist, only 125/134/135 gr bullets
(and it is a target ar10!)
I can't begin to say how many groups I've blown because I got excited on the last shot. That's when I was younger and had only seen my mentor/Uncle shoot really small groups. I finally bought a Ruger 77V, in .243. After playing with a few loads I finally hit paydirt and started shooting .5" groups as a matter of routine. Not too many blown groups since then! Then a Win. Model 70 in 270 that loves to punch those little groups. Then on to a .22 CheetaH, which got me into the .250 groups, at least until I shot the barrel out. Right now I'm working with a Rem. 700 in .308, with a custom barrel with a slow twist, for those lighter .30 cal bullets, which generally shoots somewhere between .250 & .5" pretty regularly. I've never had the option to shoot really long range stuff but it's on the bucket list. Shooting a near to 1" group at 1000 seems impossible but I can only wonder how long this one will stand... and after that, the .750, the .5. Where will it end? Wonderful stuff, for sure!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts