Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

This site is "Longrangehunting.com".

This forum is "Extreme Long Range Hunting and Shooting."

This thread is "Longest shot +1,500yd Hunting."

If you find the subject matter distasteful feel free to excuse yourself from the topic and forum.

Don't come here to **** on the works of others.

Of course you could just always sit back, relax, read along and maybe learn something as most of us do.

Yeah.........what he said!

That's very good shooting-8" group at a mile. What caliber, bullet and speed were you shooting at the 10" steel?
Keep in mind, with accuracy like that at a mile and if you have enough remaining energy left, you most certainly could kill an animal at that range. It's always te shooters choice as to how far he or she wants to reach out.
I think it all depends on what presents itself to the LR hunter, the weather conditions, his skill level and equipment he has as to what decision he makes for that particular kill.
Some of us would rather kill an inferior animal (smaller horned buck or bull) at 1500 to 2000 yards then to take a much nicer one at 300 to 500 yards but, that's just personel choice. That's not to say we wouldn't take the closer one if the chance presented itself.
It makes it a bit easier when you have the confidence in your equipment and know you can do it.

Have a nice day.

Let's leave out the controversies from the post and assume this is by experts with appropriate practice.

I guess some choose to reply to threads without ever reading the request or content of the OP's first post. Or if they do they choose to ignore it without a consideration of who else might want to have an adult discussion or learn practices and technique.

The thing that I have a hard time with is someone comes on here like a self appointed hall monitor to look down on others or how they choose to set their goals and accomplishments. And then take for granted they have more compassion for a game animal than the next guy. I for one have been on here enough to feel that most all, or at least a very high percentage, of the people here are not wanting to wound an animal in any way. Yes, I do believe we all have the moral sense, compassion and love for game to want clean kills and a fast dispatch. Wounded animals are very unfortunate, but unfortunately this is a reality of hunting. We all have had one where we wish it would have been a faster kill. For me that just happened to be close and personal in timber at 50 yards. It can happen at any distance, with any type of hunting firearm. If you can't deal with that , maybe look into a different sport. These unfortunate mishaps make most all hunters strive to do better, and we do. So please don't come on a long range hunting site, and into the ELR forum and preach to the adults here. Why not try giving the people interested in ELR the space to discuss it without your imposed personal limitation or choices clouding the discussions. Chances are many will learn, and understand the difficulties while practicing and realize their own personal limits without the help of a self appointed dictator.

I personally asked Len for this forum. He thought long and hard and consulted experts in the field before making it a reality. I feel he understands that education is a good thing. But it is seldom useful to just be negative in either teaching or learning.

I don't know if I will ever take a mile plus shot at game. I don't even have the rifle I choose to do it with yet. But if and when I choose to try it, and if all the condition and stars align, I will be the one to make the call. It is no different than the shaky beginner with a buck at 100 yards. Should he not shoot? If so maybe he never should? We all took that first shot once, I am sure glad we didn't have someone there preaching "wounded animal" and talking us out of it. If so maybe we would not be part of the great sport of hunting no matter what the method of harvest.

Respectfully.

Jeff

Darryl, the rifle I shot yesterday evening is a 375 Chey-tac pushing the 425 gr. Cutting Edge bullet. Velocity is around 2825. I have shot a lot at this particular location so Its not as big a deal as shooting in a strange location. Also I certainly don't claim to be able to duplicate this all the time.

That's still very good shooting even if it was your home range set-up. I'm sure you could duplacate it again.

We did alot of ELR (in excess of 1250 to 1700 yards) woodchuck hunting and also shot in all the 1000 yad matches at Williamsport before our Colorado hunts. Both senarios help the shooter learn to read the wind to a degree and to be as familar with the rifle/s as we could be. It certainly paid off for us.

Darryl, delighted to see your posts and sorry for the error on the distance. Hope you will continue to share you advice and experience. You response to Ausustus was very gentlemanly! Augustus, thanks for sharing you experience with you 375/408. Excellent shooting. I ve found my Kirby version groups well out to 2200-2400 and it would be of interest what you can do further with the Rocky mts. I use SMKs at 3315fps, .78bc and need usually about 75 moa at 2400. If you are near central Ohio there is a Elr group at Thunder valley that shoots to 2400 and Tom hopes to increase the range to 3000yds. Thanks Broz for encouraging Len. I had emailed him questions about the old post so i think its great we have this new section from Len. Looks like we are on track to have some good discussion and sharing of experience with equipment etc.

I have a few of the 425s left and I will be shooting them at 2500 or so in the next few days. If everything is working ok at that distance I will have 200 or so cut.

I'm from SE Oklahoma and cannot stray too far from the house. I would like to travel around a little bit and shoot with some of you folks. I am planning to retire in July 2014. After that I will have a little wiggle room.

C.o your right I remember when I first hearing guy's talking about reloading. I thought seating depth had to do with the size of your toilet seat. Some people won't spend the time or energy to fact search anything.good hunting& good shooting

Some good info here guys. Thanks to all that added details and data.

Augustus, great shooting. If you are ever out this way I would be honored to take you to some of my spots to burn some powder.

Darryl, good info and I am glad to see you posting. Please post away as I am really interested in hearing more.

I don't have a lot to add. I do quite a bit of rock shooting from 1200 to 2000 yards and sometimes beyond. I am constantly striving for the first round hits. Like Augustus stated those targets we have shot before seem to be easier the next time we shoot them. But a first time target at or past a mile is a hit or miss deal for me so far with the first round. Corrections are usually within 1 moa on most cases but some do go farther off. Darn wind!! Once the correction are on, repeated hits under 1 moa are easy. Also I am engaging targets in conditionsI would never attempt hunting. I will shoot rocks in almost any wind that is there so this will put a damper on thefirst round hits too. I do see improvement with practice and feel my new rifle from Shawn will help too. A mile plus coyote is definatly in my future.:)

Jeff

I love the West, I am definitely coming out that way when I retire. I have always been fascinated by the Battle at the Little Big Horn, I am definitely going there. I will bring a couple of rifles and look some of you guys up.

Broz

Good to see you on here.
ELR is a most interesting topic and I'm glad Len allowed it to happen. I tried six years ago to have it on this site but back then I guess the interest wasen't there as it is today.
With all the new cartridges coming along plus the many different high BC bullest being made, the range will increase every year.
I'm glad to see that because I always liked the extreme ranges when hunting. If conditions are right, the animal is cooperative, you have good spotters, you have a rifle that will send a high BC bullet with plenty of weight at a resonable high speed, your optics are top notch---the skys the limit. Of course trigger time is key also. Practice practice practice as we already know.

Most/many ELR hunters have the desire to further the range just for self satisfaction. Once you make a kill at 1000 yards you want to go to 1250 then 1500 then 1750 then 2000 and then further as your rifle will permit.
I always wanted to further my longest shot but, have not had the opportuntiy to do so "yet".
I'm no dead yet so maybe there's time left?
Like my wife----She killed a nice 10 Point in West Virginia and it's just **** hard to find one as big or bigger in these north central PA mountains. She don't even want it if it's a 6 point or average 8 point.
i hope more shooters come on here that are doing the extreme range shooting as it certainly interests me alot as it does most of us.

Augustus
My wife and I was at the little big horn during the anniversary date 10 or 12 years ago. Many of the relatives of the chiefs that actually fought there was on hand for the celibration along with some of the relatives of the cavelry soldiers. I still can't believe Custer was ever an officer and after being at the battlefield know why he was at the bottom of his class at West Point. He and his men were trapped on top of a knoll with 2500 indians coming up from all sides. He ordered the men to shot their horses for somewhere to hide and try to shoot.
Very interesting to see the site

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.