Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

Augustus. Little big horn is a very interesting place to explore and figure out the action. I visited last year and I d recommend you read Nathaniel Philbricks book Custer Last Stand before going. Reviews his early bison hunting, including him running down a bison while on horse and just before shooting the bison the bison turned on the horse and Custer killed the horse and had a long walk home. A few years ago you posted on the Viking turned bullets for long range - did you ever have any success with these supposedly very high BC bullets?

No, the Vikings are totally unstable. They are worse than useless, one of the ZA prototypes showed a lot of promise but the supply dried up. The Cutting Edge bullets are the best I have tested so far. The BC on the CE bullets is not as high as the ZA but accuracy, consistency and availability makes the CE top of the heap right now.

Dang, we really need to have a camp out and long range friendly shoot guys. I wish we could put something like this together. I have a wall tent and gear. A two day thing would be awesome. I would love to meet up and shoot with some of you guys. I will supply the elk meat too.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb

Dang, we really need to have a camp out and long range friendly shoot guys. I wish we could put something like this together. I have a wall tent and gear. A two day thing would be awesome. I would love to meet up and shoot with some of you guys. I will supply the elk meat too.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb
You know if we could work out the timing just right I'd even try and get away for something like that.. . Maybe sometime in the late spring when most of us aren't too busy with other things... .lightbulb

Wild Rose, Spring would be good. Right now the fire risk is pretty high.

Shawn, Heck why not! Shoot by day and good conversation with an adult beverages aroung the camp fire at night. Works for me. Might just have to plan this for spring. I should have my new D.E. hammer all dialed in by then too.:cool::cool:

Jeff

Wild Rose, Spring would be good. Right now the fire risk is pretty high.

Shawn, Heck why not! Shoot by day and good conversation with an adult beverages aroung the camp fire at night. Works for me. Might just have to plan this for spring. I should have my new D.E. hammer all dialed in by then too.:cool::cool:

Jeff
That's what I was thinking late March/April through about Mid May typically fire dangers are minimal across most of the west.

And we better have a couple Bear tags handy...:cool:

Jeff
Well there is that... . I got an invitation to join one of our fellow posters here on a spring bear hunt in MT so maybe if all of the timing worked out I could come up and get both done in one trip... . Hmmm.gun)

U guys could have an ATF (Achohol, Tobacco, Firearms) party...

That is good. Made me laugh. I also have the wall tent and stuff. Would be a lot of fun. Raining here again today. We are too wet and across the divide you guys are burning up. Drove to Bozeman a week ago and could not believe how dry it was.

Steve

I finally got to fire a Rd at 2055 yds just at dark this evening. The target was a 36in by 36 in steel plate painted red with a 12in white circle. It was pretty hazy and visibility was pretty poor. The plate was sitting in front of a vertical rock wall. I dialed it in and struggled to see the target, I finally got everything set, in focus, and touched it off. I was shooting alone and did not see an impact anywhere.

I started to fire another Rd but light was fading fast so I decided not to waste any more ammo. I drove up to the target to see if I could find where the Rd impacted. There it was at 7 o-clock right in the edge of the white.

I'm beginning to think this 6.5-13 gain twist and the 425 CE is a real deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.