Knockdown power myths

Shot this guy decades ago in Botswana at 21 yards with a 500-450 H&H that was pushing .458/480gr Woodliegh softpoint at 2150 FPS with 5000 ft/lbs of energy. You can see the first shot in the chest, definitely a killer, but he required two more shots before he was down for the count. Seconds seem like a lifetime with 500 pounds of claws and teeth at spitting distance. My second shot hit him square in the chest, with the slug settled just under the skin in his rump with 90+% weight retention and expanded to the size of a quarter. While he reacted at the shots, it didn't take long to regain his sense of fight. Based on this particular hunt and several other game animal taken from Impala to Cape Buffalo, unless the central nervous system is destroyed, knockdowns cannot be counted on.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 71
Well I believe in "knockdown" power. My experience...hunting a doe antelope in WY. She was with a herd maybe 500 yards away from the knoll I was perched on. Suddenly the herd started running full speed directly at us. We tucked down. The herd came within 10 feet of us. I swung my 300 WM on the last doe and pulled the trigger. She honestly was "bowled" over as if hit by a big wind gust...which it seemed to be. The muzzleblast apparently knocked her off the hill.
Or at least that's the way I remember it and I'm sticking with my story.

Would never mess with anything that could eat me for supper.

For me, that would be the ultimate hunt and desire. Something that could kill me.

For me, it would be one the great bears. Unlikely, but never know, I am.not dead for a long time hopefully, Africa is not impossible.

But I like a little risk in general.

Imagine the Maasai warrior taking on that big cat with a spear to be recognized as a man.

With the kids people are raising these days, maybe we need a right of passage. Something other than first time smoking dope.

With the kids people are raising these days, maybe we need a right of passage. Something other than first time smoking dope.

Speaking of right of passage, my sons (USAF (currently deployed) and USMC) are 3rd generation military family and my wife and I never expected them to serve, they did it on their own.

Speaking of right of passage, my sons (USAF (currently deployed) and USMC) are 3rd generation military family and my wife and I never expected them to serve, they did it on their own.

Hey Feenix,

You and your family don't hear it enough. Thank You.

Steve

...........my sons (USAF (currently deployed) and USMC) are 3rd generation military family and my wife and I never expected them to serve, they did it on their own.

With her children deployed it must add elements to Mother's Day I can't begin to comprehend. Relay her a Happy Mother's Day for me please.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.