Power cleaning

Wouldn't more of a jackhammer motion allow bristles to clean the corners of the grooves better rather than a circle motion across the lands?

I bore scoped one of our .260 Rem and had some copper buildup and started to get a Carbon Ring. I was going to turn out the DRILL on it but didn't get around to it. I was cleaning with Montana Copper Killer and then letting Kriol sit in the barrel. Well that was about a month ago and decided to get to our range today. I didn't get to break out the drill yet. So last night I sprayed some Gunscrubber down the tube to clean out the Kroil put some patches through then G-96 with some more patches.
I fired a foul round then two in the same hole @ 100yds. Ran 300 to 800 yds targets and then four dead center on a 6" plate at 966 yds.
One of my most accurate shoots.
I wanted to try the drill and bronze/Nylon brush. Will have to scope the chamber and again when I start to loose accuracy.
Edit to my post. Would most likely try the drill with a bronze or nylon brush in the chamber where a carbon ring or build up starts from forward of the neck to the lands. wouldn't run the entire length of the barrel. I try to run any brush from breach to Muzzle only one way.
Interesting that you can run a drill brush as long as it's materials are softer than the barrel material. I just look at getting the brush bristles into the groves and lands space. Can it be done spinning brush perpendicular???
Well Greg sure shows it can be done.
Another interesting and controversial process to clean a barrel!!!!

I sometimes use JB on a oil (surfacant type) soaked patch. Most of my barrels are the 5R type. I am aware of advisories not to scrub barrels out with brushes & JB, so I don't do it. I don't understand why that method would damage barrels as the JB is touted as being a non imbedding abrasive (garnet), approved for bore cleaning with patches. J-B on brush bristles, bronze or nylon are much softer than barrel steel and J-B used with brushes has a reputation for barrel damage. Montana bore polish is aluminum oxide ( hard stuff used in sandpaper).

looking at:

Both garnet & aluminum oxide are hard abrasives, like used in sandpaper. MOHS being about 7. Touted as being OK with patches but nasty with brushes? Would the hard bronze or nylon result in abrasive particles to be embedded & fixed in bristles causing the bristles to dig into barrel steel or would a cloth patch allow the abrasive particles to slide over barrel steel but remove softer fouling?

Bon Ami as a bore cleaner? - contains feldspar (mineral) & calcium carbonate (limestone) touted as - "hasn't scratched yet" with pic of small chicken. Feldspar has a MOHS of 6. I used Bon Ami some time ago, with patches, on a super neglected .243 but was told it would destroy my barrel but the reason was unclear.

What about barrel lapping?

Last edited: