Scope power

JMack

I switched out a scope recently from a 4-16 to a 5-25 and at 3,4,500 yards I feel like it's too much scope set on 25.

Seem like 16 and 18 power scopes are a sweet spot and I actually shoot better groups and better hits on steel.

Maybe it's me.

Not being a smart *** here but, dial back to whatever power you like and shoot. I've shot out to 1000yd with 10x back when I was military, use the extra power to identify targets and read mirage for wind call then dial back and send it. I don't want anything more than 4x on the bottom end, never fails I'll have a coyote or some other vermin come out at 30yd giving me a split second shot opportunity.

Not being a smart *** here but, dial back to whatever power you like and shoot. I've shot out to 1000yd with 10x back when I was military, use the extra power to identify targets and read mirage for wind call then dial back and send it. I don't want anything more than 4x on the bottom end, never fails I'll have a coyote or some other vermin come out at 30yd giving me a split second shot opportunity.
Good point. I was tinkering with just that but I need to load more bullets to mess around some more

I switched out a scope recently from a 4-16 to a 5-25 and at 3,4,500 yards I feel like it's too much scope set on 25.

Seem like 16 and 18 power scopes are a sweet spot and I actually shoot better groups and better hits on steel.

Maybe it's me.
I certainly agree. Anything in the higher numbers past the low to mid 20X becomes very difficult to stabilize in a hunting scenario. Those higher numbers may be good for looking at an animal, but either the mirage and/or my unsteadiness makes it impossible to make an accurate shot.

I certainly agree. Anything in the higher numbers past the low to mid 20X becomes very difficult to stabilize in a hunting scenario. Those higher numbers may be good for looking at an animal, but either the mirage and/or my unsteadiness makes it impossible to make an accurate shot.

You have the same amount of unsteadiness on the lower settings. You just don't see it.

My ideal scope would be a 16X50 SF with a 30mm tube, mil rad reticle & .1 mil rad clicks. High quality glass & coatings & tough internals. Long tube mounting area for long action rifles.

You want to spot your shots and that means about 20 power max typically at 1000 yards, less closer. A 3-18 is fine. 4-24 as all you need hunting. For load development only the 50-60 are great.

The ZCO 4-20 is so clear it would be perfect if not so heavy.

You want to spot your shots and that means about 20 power max typically at 1000 yards, less closer. A 3-18 is fine. 4-24 as all you need hunting. For load development only the 50-60 are great.

The ZCO 4-20 is so clear it would be perfect if not so heavy.
The ZCO 420 is so perfect that I found the weight to be an afterthought…..My shooting/hunting can run from a couple of hundred yards to 1200 yards. It's superb for mirage management as well.

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.......Shoot the magnification that is most comfortable for you as an individual.
Exactly! One year I decided to "trophy" hunt. I wanted a blacktail with horns wider than the ears and four points on both sides. I found one with my 8X binocular that was wider than the ears, but could not count the points in the early low light. I switched to my 5-25X52 and slowly turned up the magnification until I could clearly see. BANG!

Maybe it's me.
I have found that more magnification often seems to cause larger groups for me. I believe that with the higher magnification the eye/mind start concentrating on the target and I tend to chase the crosshair on the target. I also think the mind sees the previous shot(s) and that plays into having more than one "target". I am most accurate with my rifles with target dot scopes when the dot is equal to or larger than the bullseye. I often adjust the dot to cover the bull and this forces me to concentrate on the dot. Kinda a reverse aperture sighting system. I often find I'm around 12x inside 300yds on a 6-24x scope.

Or maybe I'm just weird!