Scope power

Larry P243

I am looking for a scope for the 280 ackley ,and having a hard time deciding on the scope for it. I have a few questions
#1 thoughts on the Zeiss Conquest HD5'S - 3.5X15 OR THE 5X25

#2 Are there any other scopes out there that I should consider other than Zeiss in the same price range?

#3 I have been looking at the Rapid Z-600 AND THE RZ 800 , which one of these and why?

I will be shooting out to 1,000 yrds but most likely keep hunting shots at 3 to 5 hundred for now.

In the same general price range you also have the VXIII leupolds and Vortex Viper Series scopes which I would recommend.

The only problem with the conquest series is the 1" tuble which limits your available windage adjustment which can hurt you when doping and dialing at long range.

I own a number of the Zeiss Conquest series scopes though and have never had a complaint about any of them. Great glass, and 100% reliable.

I don't own any of the new HD models but have considered getting one.

I also think you should check out the Leupold VXIII and the Vortex Viper. I think the 30mm tube would benefit you on the long shots. I cant comment on Zeiss because I have no experience with their scopes but from what I have read on this site they are really good. I can however say that both my Leupold and Vortex have been great so far. They both track great when doping, zero has never moved on either one, and I have never had either one fog up on a cold morning.

if most of your shots are greater than 300 yards, Id go for the greater power. but most of all, I would go for more glass. if you can get the biggest objective lens you can afford, better picture because you get more light in your eyeball. that is what you need in that really long range stuff. but, that's just my opinion.

I'm having a 280 Ackley mountain rifle built as I type this. This is the scope I bought for it, then I sent it to Leupold and had the custom shop put the M1 style MOA marked tall turrets on it for $130. Really looks sharp and weighs just 17 ozs. Can't wait to get it on the new rifle and try some LR shooting.

Leupold 66415 VX 3 4 5 14x40mm 30mm Side Focus Fine Duplex Matte Riflescope 030317152406 | eBay
WHen you get the chance to compare the 40mm Obj and 50mm Obj in Low light situations you will see why so many of us recommend the 50mm Obj over the 40. Both have quality glass but the 50mm gathers 25% more light.

I am looking for a scope for the 280 ackley ,and having a hard time deciding on the scope for it. I have a few questions
#1 thoughts on the Zeiss Conquest HD5'S - 3.5X15 OR THE 5X25

#2 Are there any other scopes out there that I should consider other than Zeiss in the same price range?

#3 I have been looking at the Rapid Z-600 AND THE RZ 800 , which one of these and why?

I will be shooting out to 1,000 yrds but most likely keep hunting shots at 3 to 5 hundred for now.

#1 for shooting out to 1000 I would have a scope with tactical turrets. Working on reticle for such distance is quite difficult.
As for power I would go with 3.5-15 since it is more versatile.
#2 leupold mark4 3.5-10 - for big game or 4.5-14 - for the rest hunting with tmr, m1, but they are a bit more expensive.
#3 see point #1.

I have 50mm scopes on my bigger rifles, but for the mountain rifle I deliberately chose the 40mm, both for weight and compactness. And this will sound strange, but on my "carry" rifles in the brush I do not like the 50 mm because the larger bell protrudes from the side of the rifle and brushes against my leg as I hike while carrying the rifle in one hand and I find that distracting.

WHen you get the chance to compare the 40mm Obj and 50mm Obj in Low light situations you will see why so many of us recommend the 50mm Obj over the 40. Both have quality glass but the 50mm gathers 25% more light.

That would be almost 60%more light!! Pi R squared 20x20x3.14 and 25x25x3.14 yep hes right. 50MM is worth it every time.

Have an RZ 800. Use it on a 300 WSM carry rifle. Issue I have with this scope is that you have to adjust the zoom to a set power for your load for the reticle marks to be accurate. On my 300 WSM this just happens to be 10x. I find 10x a little low on power for these tired old eyes.

Have shot steel out to 500 with it and taken game to 320, and it is good for a quicker shot. Just don't like having to use it at 10x for long range.

Glass is very good.

The IOR Valdada line of scopes are very good quality for the price. Slightly higher than the Conquest HD but still affordable.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.