Scope power

While age has had an effect on my scope selection, the greatest factor had been the increase in distance over the past 10-20 years. Scope selection has not only been a function of magnification, but optical quality/clarity as well with particular emphasis on low light conditions. That latter is where aging eyes has taken its greatest toll. Scopes that served me very well a dozen years ago, are no longer feasible under all conditions. While not nearly as critical for targets/steel for which I still have no issues with lower magnification/clarity scopes, for 1000(+/-) yard hunting, my personal (top) magnification has always been at least 20X. At this power, interfering brush and other game can be more effectively detected, mirage can be easily dialed-in to determine wind, and the field of view enables me to spot impacts. While my magnification choice has not changed so much over the years as my eyes have aged, optical quality of the scopes I now use surely has…… And the difference, at least for me, is quite noticeable!

Last edited:
I switched out a scope recently from a 4-16 to a 5-25 and at 3,4,500 yards I feel like it's too much scope set on 25.

Seem like 16 and 18 power scopes are a sweet spot and I actually shoot better groups and better hits on steel.

Maybe it's me.
Unbelievable!.....and in writing to boot!

I know I'm gonna get crap for this, but...

What is the lowest cost, Alpha glass, 3-15x scope you would recommend?

Thanks
I would scour the classifieds for used.

I got my Kahles K318i 3.5-18×50 used for $2k.
I got my S&B PMiI 3-20×50 Ultra Short for $2700 used.
You probably won't find a used Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50 for under $3500, if you do, scoop it up quick. My favorite hunting scope.
The ZCO 420 4-20×50 is going to be around $3200 used or $3700 new.

I kind have to laugh every time I see someone saying the scope won't hold still. It' you not the scope. It's one thing at the range another in the field. Even with at the lower powders on a high power scope, the field of view is reduced. I feel that unless you are over 500yds and 2 x 8 works just fine. Quickly to acquire the target, and easy to track the animal also. If you are trying to judge an animal a better set binoculars works. If needed a spotting scope to judge with.

The ZCO 420 is so perfect that I found the weight to be an afterthought…..My shooting/hunting can run from a couple of hundred yards to 1200 yards. It's superb for mirage management as well.
^^ I Agree ^^
ZCO 4-20 hits the sweet spot for me now.
I also find with aging eye sight, alpha glass is
a high priority.

For the ranges the OP mentioned my NF 2.5-10's have been ideal. Where I hunt in western Colorado big game is usually found and killed at less than 200 yards so I want a big field of view. Plenty of shots out to 5-600 too and I've used these scopes to take marmots out to 700 yards. My long range rifles use scopes in the 5-25x range with a 7-35x planned to go on an ELR rifle next. The best optics I've used was SB but these days NF fits my budget and the glass is still plenty good for small targets past the 1300 yard mark.