Knockdown power myths

........While he reacted at the shots, it didn't take long to regain his sense of fight. Based on this particular hunt and several other game animal taken from Impala to Cape Buffalo, unless the central nervous system is destroyed, knockdowns cannot be counted on..........

I like your idea of lion fighting rifle!

I don't believe in knockdown power, but how would this experience influence your selection of rifle/cartridge combination if you were going again?

With her children deployed it must add elements to Mother's Day I can't begin to comprehend. Relay her a Happy Mother's Day for me please.

Aye Sir! I have to admit, I never worry about myself in all my deployments but I'd be lying to you if I am not a bit worried as my wife. :D

The good news is he is due back home next month.

Cheers!

.......Bullets kill by tearing tissue in order to cause rapid blood loss which causes the central nervous system to shut down........

I believe, knockdown power, knockout values, kinetic energy, momentum, stopping power, and other such attempts to label the effects of bullet impact or lethality fall short.

I believe, larger calibers, heavy for caliber bullets, with bullets of the same construction, will destroy more tissue, and "Generally" result in quicker kills or DRT experiences.

Some ratio of bullet to game size for a desired effect also exist, and the terms of "inadequate" or "overkill" inflame the discussion due to lack of common definition, and are less than helpful.

Like Goldilocks we struggle to achieve "just right" given the variables.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.